Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,037 of 7,334
No offense but I think you are delusional. I’m not trying to be judgmental but there is a reason why LCD-3s are much more expensive. At least for 2C there is no rich mid or any warmth. If all depends on your source and the quality of your power distribution in the end.
But you said "I just find the LCD-2C way too dark (literally insufferable)" That doesn't match up with "for 2C there is no rich mid or any warmth."
So the two opposite descriptions can be found here:
mlrRQYI.jpg

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,038 of 7,334
So, I just contacted Audeze support:

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your inquiry. We hope to have the new spring steel suspension headband available at some point within the next few months, but we don't yet know exactly when, or what the price will be.
Keep your eyes on our accessories page as we'll put it up there if and when it becomes available separately:
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories

Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Best
Chris

This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Audeze LLC

I have hope!

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,039 of 7,334
No, I think it mostly depends on your headphones. Sources and power matter, of course, but they won't change the sound signature of a headphone to such an extent as you seem to describe. And if by delusional you mean I think the LCD-2/2C is "better" than the LCD-3, that's not what I'm saying. At this level, 'better' is maybe 5% or 10% improvement in some areas, but preference is entirely different. The same reason so many people seem to think the Utopias you mention are far too bright, glaring and analytical, no matter how much they cost.
I use my eve monitors as references and the 2Cs are clearly dark while utopias are not bright at all unless poorly driven. I believe your source is simply not good enough to reveal enough details in highs or fully unleash the power of any headphone passing that $1000 mark.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,041 of 7,334
But you said "I just find the LCD-2C way too dark (literally insufferable)" That doesn't match up with "for 2C there is no rich mid or any warmth."
So the two opposite descriptions can be found here:
mlrRQYI.jpg
If you find the power of the dark side gives warmth then okay that’s all I can say. To me they are too dark that they make me depressed.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,042 of 7,334
So, I just contacted Audeze support:

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your inquiry. We hope to have the new spring steel suspension headband available at some point within the next few months, but we don't yet know exactly when, or what the price will be.
Keep your eyes on our accessories page as we'll put it up there if and when it becomes available separately:
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories

Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Best
Chris

This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Audeze LLC

I have hope!
Yay! That’ll make a nice upgrade for my LCD-2. Love the Lohb but this will just be so slick!

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,043 of 7,334
If you find the power of the dark side gives warmth then okay that’s all I can say. To me they are too dark that they make me depressed.
Sorry but I'm still trying to understand audiophile terminology. I always thought dark and warm were similar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dark - A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency. Compare "light."
Warm - The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,044 of 7,334
Sorry but I'm still trying to understand audiophile terminology. I always thought dark and warm were similar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.
Warm - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies.

Warm cans tend to be dark, but not every warm can is dark. Audeze has its own darkish sound signature, which is quite polarizing. For me, I would rather use IEM for darkish sound..

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,045 of 7,334
As someone who is tempted to return my 2C and shell out for the 3 as an endgame (for me), I want to hear more of this debate between LCD sound sig lovers who think the 3 is worth it, people who think the X is the better next step up, and people who think the 2 gets so close that they'd rather put the additional $1k elsewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,046 of 7,334
I use my eve monitors as references and the 2Cs are clearly dark while utopias are not bright at all unless poorly driven. I believe your source is simply not good enough to reveal enough details in highs or fully unleash the power of any headphone passing that $1000 mark.
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at that one. I’ve honestly never heard such nonsense. Let’s talk when you start making sense. :joy:

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,047 of 7,334
@Savage4 Which eve monitors are you using? The LCD2C respond very well with eq, and it sounds close in some ways to my EVE monitors....just eq the upper mids and you can get your neutral sound back. I would call the LCD2C sounding lush, but to call it extremely dark....then say its not as lush as the LCD-X. I'm glad I didn't hear the LCD-3s. I only heard the 4s. Is anybody good with eq and can suggest a good parametric eq setting for bringing the upper mids out around 4.6k area?

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,048 of 7,334
@Savage4 Which eve monitors are you using? The LCD2C respond very well with eq, and it sounds close in some ways to my EVE monitors....just eq the upper mids and you can get your neutral sound back. I would call the LCD2C sounding lush, but to call it extremely dark....then say its not as lush as the LCD-X. I'm glad I didn't hear the LCD-3s. I only heard the 4s. Is anybody good with eq and can suggest a good parametric eq setting for bringing the upper mids out around 4.6k area?

I've set mine to +3db at 4.6k (Q = 0.67) by default. I'll bring it up another +1-2db if a track is vocal-centric enough, but that is adding obvious coloration.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,049 of 7,334
Sc205.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,050 of 7,334
I have sc204 with a ts107 sub....I am using a soekris 1541 dac, and I can switch on the fly between the monitors and LCD2C. I have to say the Eves are brighter, though I would hestitate to classify them as bright. Its more smooth take on neutral. I have to say I enjoy the lushness and smoothness of the LCD2C with brighter tracks....ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back