Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #557 of 7,334
This doesn't look so sweet when 6XX is $199...

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #559 of 7,334
This doesn't look so sweet when 6XX is $199...
6XX is superb but it doesn’t really reach the level of musicality and power of the LCD-2 (and I would imagine the 2C). Still for $199 there’s nothing that comes close to the competence of the 6XX, I agree with you there.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #561 of 7,334
What if the LCD-2F were $700?
They often are - just look out for the Adorama specials every other month. But I’d still buy them at the asking price. They’re worth it (for me). The asking price for the LCD-X, 3 and 4, well that’s harder to justify (again for me).

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #562 of 7,334
The apple is cheaper than the orange, but not in orange.
hmm they are not quite that apple and orange apart here but more like variant of apple. Tons of comparison between the prefazor and 650 have been done in the past and the 650 holds an extreme close performance for a fraction of the price. Some even found themselves reaching for HD650 more than LCD2 with better system.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #563 of 7,334
They often are - just look out for the Adorama specials every other month. But I’d still buy them at the asking price. They’re worth it (for me). The asking price for the LCD-X, 3 and 4, well that’s harder to justify (again for me).

I ( kind of ) agree. I have both LCD-2 and LCD-x and both are great headphones. The LCD-2 are such great headphones that they made me a believer and want to step it up and seek one of their higher models. Now that I have the LCD-X the LCD-2 never get much listening time but still have that great planar sound. I too believe the price tag is worth it for the LCD-2 and if I had to start all over again I wouldn't have an issue shelling out the $1100 or so dollars for the LCD-2.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #564 of 7,334
I find the LCD-2 to be far more of an involving headphone than the HD650.
I actually feel the music rather than just listening to it.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #565 of 7,334
Some even found themselves reaching for HD650 more than LCD2 with better system.
‘With the better system’ is the key here. I have a pretty decent and powerful system and the LCD-2 outpaced the HD650 on very track I tried with them. Far more involving, musical, with bass that can be felt even at lower volumes. Not denying the HD650 is excellent - it very much is - and at the price is better value than just about any other audiophile headphone, including the LCD. But you really do need a very expensive system to make it shine, which sort of negates the value somewhat, because the overall system cost for the sound quality is lower with the LCD-2.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #566 of 7,334
hmm they are not quite that apple and orange apart here but more like variant of apple. Tons of comparison between the prefazor and 650 have been done in the past and the 650 holds an extreme close performance for a fraction of the price. Some even found themselves reaching for HD650 more than LCD2 with better system.

One is a dynamic and the other is a planar. I don't know of a better metaphor than apples and oranges since they work so differently. What your saying is more along the lines of being in the same fruit bowl.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #567 of 7,334
One is a dynamic and the other is a planar. I don't know of a better metaphor than apples and oranges since they work so differently. What your saying is more along the lines of being in the same fruit bowl.
It seems you have never even listened to both to conclude such. Despite being planar and dynamic , the point here is that they sound SIMILAR that's why alot of people have been going back to HD650 from LCD2 non-fazor

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #568 of 7,334
It seems you have never even listened to both to conclude such. Despite being planar and dynamic , the point here is that they sound SIMILAR that's why alot of people have been going back to HD650 from LCD2
You've never heard both, they sound nothing alike.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #569 of 7,334
‘With the better system’ is the key here. I have a pretty decent and powerful system and the LCD-2 outpaced the HD650 on very track I tried with them. Far more involving, musical, with bass that can be felt even at lower volumes. Not denying the HD650 is excellent - it very much is - and at the price is better value than just about any other audiophile headphone, including the LCD. But you really do need a very expensive system to make it shine, which sort of negates the value somewhat, because the overall system cost for the sound quality is lower with the LCD-2.
Strange, because one good matched system could make one sound better than the other. I have seen people switching to system that makes HD650 outshines LCD2.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #570 of 7,334
You've never heard both, they sound nothing alike.
Is it the Non fazor you are mentioning here? if it is , would you mind giving a detailed comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back