Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #467 of 7,334
@Audeze
There was a lot of unit to unit variation with the old LCD-2, does this new LCD-2C sound like one of those "unicorn" LCD-2 (you know, the ones with the cleanest CSD, linear bass and magic mids)?
I dunno guys, your descriptions match my own pair of LCD-2, except mine is an Aluminium 2016F model. I only briefly heard the pre-fazor LCD-2, and auditioned the pre-fazor LCD-3, and honestly I’m hearing more of what I like from the 2016F. Maybe mine is also a ‘unicorn’? :wink:

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #468 of 7,334
I dunno guys, your descriptions match my own pair of LCD-2, except mine is an Aluminium 2016F model. I only briefly heard the pre-fazor LCD-2, and auditioned the pre-fazor LCD-3, and honestly I’m hearing more of what I like from the 2016F. Maybe mine is also a ‘unicorn’? :wink:

I'm glad for you, but there's enough confusion between the non Fazor units, please don't add the Fazors to the discussion too, we could end into a 40 pages rabbit hole of "my LCD 765xxx serial version doesn't sound like that but 526xxx matches your description".

I can't link what I was referring to, but search "Audeze LCD rev 2 (pre fazor) Unicorn Edition Measurements" with Google, this is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #469 of 7,334
How much Audezes LCD-2 leak compared to Hifimans ? I returned my Edition X V2 for many reasons but mainly because it's excessive leakage (my first planar experience, now I know they leak more than dynamics).

I'm alone in my room during listening, so I don't exactly need or want closed back headphone. Do Audezes leak at least a bit less? Edition X shouted like regular speakers.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #470 of 7,334
How much Audezes LCD-2 leak compared to Hifimans ? I returned my Edition X V2 for many reasons but mainly because it's excessive leakage (my first planar experience, now I know they leak more than dynamics).

I'm alone in my room during listening, so I don't exactly need or want closed back headphone. Do Audezes leak at least a bit less? Edition X shouted like regular speakers.

This are opened back cans, sound will leaks like no tomorrow. This will no different than your Edition X in term of leakage, if you want decent closed back you should looking at Atticus or Eikon.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #471 of 7,334

There is no relation to leakage whether the headphone is planar or dynamic or electrostat. It rather has to do with the design. Designs include: open, closed, semi-open, and closed with vents.

The Audeze LCD-2 are open and will leak regardless, even if less than other open headphones.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #472 of 7,334
I'm glad that Audeze offers the option for different headbands, earpads, extended yokes, balanced vs. single ended cabling and 1/4 to 3.5 mm adapter.

The only thing that I feel is missing is a female XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable with threads on the 3.5mm end to allow for a screwable 1/4 plug. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519lWVXs4ML._SY355_.jpg

This option would be great and would cover all scenarios. Use the 8 footer balanced cable for direct connection. Add the adapter for 3.5mm single ended use. The benefit of the threaded 3.5mm plugs as opposed to non-threaded 3.5mm is that the 1/4 adapter will be smaller, more secure and put less pressure on the jacks.

Bulkier 1/4 adapter for non-threaded 3.5mm jacks: http://cdn3.volusion.com/evjgo.knynx/v/vspfiles/photos/AUDIO_008-2.jpg?1342019968

Just a thought.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #473 of 7,334
In preparation, I currently in process of making my own 5 feet mini XLR to SE 3.5mm and mini XLR to XLR balanced cables, I had successfully made DIY cable for Atticus not long ago.
Below is list of required parts in case anyone interested.

From Redco:
- L-4E5C Canare L-4E5C
- RED TA4FB-S Redco TA4FB (Mini XLR)
- NC4MX Neutrik NC4MX
- Amph ACPS-GB Amphenol ACPS-GB (1/4 TRS changed to 3.5mm)

From Paracord Planet:
- Black/Widow - 275 Paracord (5-Strand)

(Length: 50 Feet)
50 X PAR-275BLKWDW- 1 $4.99 USD $4.99 USD
- Urban Camo - 275 Paracord (5-Strand)

(Length: 50 Feet)
50 X PAR-275RBNCMO- 1 $4.99 USD $4.99 USD

0QSI4wH.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #476 of 7,334

I see you have atticus too.. What do you prefer among lcd2 vs atticus, expecially in bass section.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #479 of 7,334
I see you have atticus too.. What do you prefer among lcd2 vs atticus, expecially in bass section.
Hi, haven’t had a proper run with the Atticus yet. I’m busy burning it in now, should be done tomorrow and then I’ll start listening properly. On my first brief listen out the box it has more mid bass slam, but I had the feeing the LCD sub bass extends further. This could of course change post-burn-in, so I’ll come back here with impressions (using specific song examples) later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back