Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #498 of 7,334
I am trying out the LCD-2F now and it sounds awesome. The bass is superb, one of the best I’ve heard. So is the consensus that the Classic is a bit more powerful in the bass and a little less transparent? A lot of people have said how the LCD-2 is a bit dark sounding but I don’t find that at all.

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #499 of 7,334
The Classic, if it’s really like the old pre Fazor LCD-2, should have less pronounced highs, especially in the 8-10khz area, the peak is lower. This gives the impression of more bass, but the bass quantity is actually flat, the same as the Fazor edition.

Transparency should be the same (a lot of people mistake transparency for quantity of highs).

But since it has less highs, the image is not as good. The Fazor improves the 300Hz square wave, that has a less pronounced second bump. It gives the ear clear edges to get timing information for acoustic localization.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #501 of 7,334
From where did you order the cable?

I went back through my email, and had received a promotional note from Audeze on 11/22 that these would ship in 2 weeks. That would've been this past Wednesday.

I saw a shop on Etsy named AmplifierSurgery that had 4ft cord for $75 so ordered those to try them out.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #502 of 7,334
Just ask Audeze to ship it with a balanced cable rather than the stock 1/4...

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #504 of 7,334
Just purchased these. Can anyone recommend an amp/DAC setup for under $800 or so? I currently have the first gen Modi/Magni stack with Sennheiser HD650.

I've been looking at the Bifrost with Lyr 2 or Valhalla 2 but I am very open to suggestions.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #505 of 7,334
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #506 of 7,334
Just purchased these. Can anyone recommend an amp/DAC setup for under $800 or so? I currently have the first gen Modi/Magni stack with Sennheiser HD650.

I've been looking at the Bifrost with Lyr 2 or Valhalla 2 but I am very open to suggestions.

Dangerous Music Source. You can later power it with a LPS and it gets to another level. I've heard from people that have tried it with LCD-2 and LCD-X that liked it. One user has it and preferred it to Deckard with the LCD-2.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #507 of 7,334
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #508 of 7,334
I am trying out the LCD-2F now and it sounds awesome. The bass is superb, one of the best I’ve heard. So is the consensus that the Classic is a bit more powerful in the bass and a little less transparent? A lot of people have said how the LCD-2 is a bit dark sounding but I don’t find that at all.
A week ago i've listened to a bunch of different headphones, Sennheiser 650/660, AKG K712 Pro, HiFiman HE-400i, Audeze lcd2F, lcd3F, and even Audio Zenith PMX2
Tryed different amps, top-schiit choises and matrix m-stage hpa-3

And most of all I liked the LCD2F, both sennheisers sounded plastic and not deep, of course, if you listen to them without comparison with Audeze, they seem good ...
When I came home and put on my lovely Audio Technica ath ad900x, I felt a lack of sound depth, as allways, you quickly get used to good things...
The sound of LCD3 is more analytical, it's not bad, just more smoothed and restrained, very detailed. But lcd2 was eating me with a head.
Hifiman 400i - sorry, nothing close to Audeze
Audio zenith is very detailed and transparent, a little bit magical sound and comfortable to wear, but... I swithed to lcd2 and yes, this is my deep sound. Maybe because I am treble-sensitive and love mid-low frequencies...

Among the amplifiers, every time I switched, schiit is schiit for me, now i understand why Audeze sells with its headphones an audeze Deckard amp (a modified version of m-stage hpa 3, made in the same factory with changed labels the board and case, the insides actually are 95% identical :))

Cable was Cardas, I do not remember which one exactly, by the way now one is on massdrop sale, I think for Audeze it's a very good option.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cardas-premium-clear-light-headphone-cables

The only drawback of Audeze headphones is the strong head clamp and weight.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #509 of 7,334
If you get the Carbon headband for the LCD-2F, it is a significant improvement on comfort. You don’t feel the weight as much and the clamp force is lessened. Expensive but really worth it.

With the classic coming out with another suspension type headband, and probably less weight than the wood, my guess is that comfort will be pretty good.

In listening to the LCD-2, everything else is starting to seem boring. It has such an authoritative and powerful sound.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #510 of 7,334
If you get the Carbon headband for the LCD-2F, it is a significant improvement on comfort. You don’t feel the weight as much and the clamp force is lessened. Expensive but really worth it.

With the classic coming out with another suspension type headband, and probably less weight than the wood, my guess is that comfort will be pretty good.

In listening to the LCD-2, everything else is starting to seem boring. It has such an authoritative and powerful sound.

you are right, since when i sold it, i've never tried something like lcd2. aeon open comes close in terms of musicality, it is punchier and more detailed, but not so intimate and airy. we'll see this lcd2c..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back