Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #1,186 of 7,334
In these past days I was driving 2C out of a tube amp but today things have changed when switching to a solid state portable amp. This headphone has a noticeable glare in the treble region, it's kind of bright...I didn't expect LCD to be on this level of brightness. Maybe I have to watch out for the pairing from now.
Interesting! This may be the same treble brightness I’ve been noticing. For acoustic music it sounds phenomenal, but for electronic it seems to have a surprising amount of upper treble to my ears. I’m hoping it’s a result of my current setup I cobbled together while visiting family rather than intrinsic to the headphone itself. I owned the LCD-2 revision right before the addition of fazor and they didn’t have this treble glare.

As for the EQ discussion, I’m planning on perhaps having these as a bedside headphone out of an iPad (to my amp of choice), so my EQ options are extremely limited unfortunately, which is why I hope I don’t have to EQ these.

One thing that has been surprising to me is the sense of space these headphones provide, which I didn’t expect at all. I haven’t nailed down exactly why, but I should have some more time to listen today and get my thoughts in order. :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,187 of 7,334
If there is a treble brightness going on with the LCD-2C then I do not feel that it is an honest interpretation of the pre-fazor LCD-2.

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,188 of 7,334
The classics take EQ adjustments very well. Using the bass boost option in Windows brings out the low end I was looking for. Nice.

I’ve noticed the treble being borderline sharp for me but never over the top. Not sure if it’s like the AFOs where you need around 60 hours of continues play before the treble settles down.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,189 of 7,334
I always thought lcd2 is for rock, metal, edm, or somewhat bass heavy music. I would be surprised if someone uses lcd2c mainly for classical. I owned hd800s and can say it is very good for classical, but the quality of its bass is not as good as planars. afo is mildly warm due to slight bloom in mid-bass, but I wouldn't say its tone is darkish. It is very good for all genres and somewhat forgiving.
That said, I believe there is a better can if you mainly listen classical. Given that many classical albums are well mastered, Clear may perform up to its full potential. Hifiman X may be also a candidate. But given the relatively small price difference between the two, clear will have my 2 cents.
I second that!

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,190 of 7,334
Many thanks for the comparisons. From your description about clear, afo, lcd2c, you said you would pick afo due to its versatility. From this, I conjecture that Clear exposes too many flaws (unforgiving) from poorly recorded albums due to its clarity, compared to afo and lcd2c. Am I right?
To a certain extent, yes. I don't own the Utopia but have a friend who does, and after a while listening to them I found my head ready for time off. It was just too much. The Clear has a bit of that but to a lesser degree... it was way less fatiguing. I love them, but since you asked about having to choose only one of them, the other factors combined (warmer sound--which I prefer, comfort, little less detail, wide genre compatibility, etc.), I would choose the AFO. But, again, that is nitpicking... either one of those two make for a well-rounded pair of headphones if you must choose one.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,191 of 7,334
Anyone happen to have a picture of the felt ring of the LCD-4 designed to protect the driver? After looking at the 2c, I noticed it has a foam ring between the driver area and the pad. Not sure if this is designed to help protect the driver, or is just used to adhere the pad to the headphone.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,192 of 7,334
Anyone happen to have a picture of the felt ring of the LCD-4 designed to protect the driver? After looking at the 2c, I noticed it has a foam ring between the driver area and the pad. Not sure if this is designed to help protect the driver, or is just used to adhere the pad to the headphone.

Post a picture for us. Could be for driver protection, the pleather pads probably seal very well and the diaphragm could be damaged when pressure builds. LCD-4 needs it because the diaphragm is very thin.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,193 of 7,334
The classics take EQ adjustments very well. Using the bass boost option in Windows brings out the low end I was looking for. Nice.

I’ve noticed the treble being borderline sharp for me but never over the top. Not sure if it’s like the AFOs where you need around 60 hours of continues play before the treble settles down.
That is good to hear been using Dolby Home Theater for years via my sound card to my dacs.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,194 of 7,334
Got my new LCD-2c yesterday and currently running it off a Dragonfly Red. it sounds good but I'm imagining a bigger amp will make it even better. How easy/hard are these to drive compared to the LCD-X? I assume these are at least as easy to drive as the LCD-2 Fazor, correct? These comparisons will make my shopping a little easier. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,195 of 7,334
Got my new LCD-2c yesterday and currently running it off a Dragonfly Red. it sounds good but I'm imagining a bigger amp will make it even better. How easy/hard are these to drive compared to the LCD-X? I assume these are at least as easy to drive as the LCD-2 Fazor, correct? These comparisons will make my shopping a little easier. Thanks.

I don't have a comparison with the LCD-X, but I can tell you that a used Burson Soloist SL is a good way to go. It enhances the soundstage and punchiness to the bass response.
If you can't find a used SL then a MKII is nice as well. The MKII adds an additional half a watt of power.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,196 of 7,334
Post a picture for us. Could be for driver protection, the pleather pads probably seal very well and the diaphragm could be damaged when pressure builds. LCD-4 needs it because the diaphragm is very thin.
Here ya go!

6A729AB5-C0E6-448C-AA5E-319C4C0D05E9.jpeg

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,197 of 7,334
I always thought lcd2 is for rock, metal, edm, or somewhat bass heavy music. I would be surprised if someone uses lcd2c mainly for classical. I owned hd800s and can say it is very good for classical, but the quality of its bass is not as good as planars. afo is mildly warm due to slight bloom in mid-bass, but I wouldn't say its tone is darkish. It is very good for all genres and somewhat forgiving.
That said, I believe there is a better can if you mainly listen classical. Given that many classical albums are well mastered, Clear may perform up to its full potential. Hifiman X may be also a candidate. But given the relatively small price difference between the two, clear will have my 2 cents.

Hello! To confirm since I want to be 100% sure based on your post that you speaking about the LCD-2C’s being great for rock / metal / electronic?

Because I own the 400i’s now, newest revision with the 2.5mm and like them a lot for the music I listen to but I could certainly use a bit more bass and a bit less treble since the 400i’s can be fatiguing. I have been researching to see if the 2C’s would be considered a direct upgrade to the 400i’s and am liking what I am reading so far!

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,198 of 7,334
Hello! To confirm since I want to be 100% sure based on your post that you speaking about the LCD-2C’s being great for rock / metal / electronic?

Because I own the 400i’s now, newest revision with the 2.5mm and like them a lot for the music I listen to but I could certainly use a bit more bass and a bit less treble since the 400i’s can be fatiguing. I have been researching to see if the 2C’s would be considered a direct upgrade to the 400i’s and am liking what I am reading so far!
Do it before they jump to 800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back