Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,156 of 7,334
For cases, these work.

I'm not sure about the upper treble, but boosting the midrange +3db at 4600 (Q=0.67) is a pretty necessary correction on these for me. I thought I'd mention it just in case it turns out you're turning the volume up higher to compensate for the shelved upper-mid. If not, then disregard.

I'm currently listening to them out of a Valhalla 2 and the slight tube wetness does something barely noticably weird to the impact, but I still prefer it to listening out of a Magni 2 because the soundstage sounds way less congested out of the Val2 to me. There's definitely plenty of power!

That may be part of it. Even back when I had my old LCD-2 they always seemed like headphones that begged to be turned up. But, I’ve turned up other headphones and not run into the same issue.

Oh good! I remember back when people were using speaker amps to power their Audeze’s (I admit, I did that too, and liked how they sounded with stupid amounts of power on tap). Hopefully I like how they sound out of the Val 2. :)
Would you mind describing in more detail what the weird thing the Val 2 does to the impact? I’m curious what you mean.

What type of music would I hear treble spikes on? I thought the LCD2C's were good with treble but the only other headphones I have really compared them to are my Fostex TH-X00 since they are my other favorite headphones at the moment. For treble that i'm used to like on I think metal like Ektomorf and Death the Fostex at higher volumes felt like they would murder my ears with the cymbals and some of the guitars but the LCD2C seems to be way easier to listen to this type of music for much longer amount of times without feeling like something was stabbing my ears. But also thinking this may not be the best type of music to judge aht against but just music I enjoy listening to that I am most familiar with.
Anything with upper treble information. I don’t have much time to listen today, but if I run into anything specific I’ll let you know!

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,157 of 7,334
Hey mate, isnt V280 too warm for 2C? Have same amp With a HD800S and mids are already quite organic, smooth.
I have v281 with 2C + stock XLR cables and I think it's a match made in heaven. I'm sure v280 will be a good fit as well. In my experience a slightly (not overly) warm amp works best with warm headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,158 of 7,334
looks like my el-8s wont be arriving after all. and these arent out yet in my country so dunno if i can afford. are these a warm sounding headphone, and hows the bass in quantity compared to el-8? would the bass make me happy on these?

i have an oppoa ha2-se amp. and like slightly elevated low end

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,159 of 7,334
According to a reputable reviewer in the other community, afo and lcd2c have similar extension and bass quality, but afo sounds thicker and warmer (like sennheiser). At the same time, afo is noticeably brighter and sharper sounding in the upper mids and treble. (and obviously, afo is way more comfortable).

The comments on afo sound right to me. But I can't compare it to lcd2c. Can anyone who has both give more impressions between these two? I want to get a sense of how lcd2c sounds like. For me, it is hard to imagine something sounds less thick and warm, and less bright at the same time.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,160 of 7,334
According to a reputable reviewer in the other community, afo and lcd2c have similar extension and bass quality, but afo sounds thicker and warmer (like sennheiser). At the same time, afo is noticeably brighter and sharper sounding in the upper mids and treble. (and obviously, afo is way more comfortable).

The comments on afo sound right to me. But I can't compare it to lcd2c. Can anyone who has both give more impressions between these two? I want to get a sense of how lcd2c sounds like. For me, it is hard to imagine something sounds less thick and warm, and less bright at the same time.
I am also interested in AFO and LCD-2C comparison. The reputable review that you mention confuses me. How can the AFO sound thicker and warmer and at the same time brighter and sharper?

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,161 of 7,334
Good to see someone with the three.

I know it's a tricky question, but if you have to keep just one of those, which one will you choose?
Oh, that's a tough one! I love the sound of the LCD2C, but even with the new headband it does get a bit heavy after a while. The AEON Flow Open is the most comfortable of the three and has a relaxed sound but still lots of detail. The Clear have all the detail, are very dynamic, and are comfortable, but not as much as the AFO. So, if I had to choose only one of the three to keep, I would probably keep the AFO because of comfort and versatility (and because I also have the Elear)... all genres sound good with the AFO.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,162 of 7,334
Very interesting obsevations. Two things I worried about lcd2c were colored female vocal (due to too darkish audeze sound signature) and weight (i use it for hours a day). Would you compare vocal tonality (especially female vocal) among the three?
Yes, the LCD2C is still heavy. In terms of weight it's much better than the previous LCD-2 versions and I really like the new headband, but it's still too heavy to keep it on your head for more than a couple of hours at a time (at least to me). Female vocals IMO sound best on the Clear. They are "clear" and beautiful, not crisp at all nor a bit muddy (LCD2C). I tried Norah Jones, Alison Krauss, and Eliane Elias... all three sounded best on the Clear to me. AFO does a nice job as well, but to me they sound a bit more distant.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,163 of 7,334
I got my LCD2C couple of days ago. I have couple of other headphone: HE560, HD650, HD800, AH-7200 and W5000. Yes, if you don't use a powerful amp, sound of LCD2C is muddy. I could not play LCD2C with Woo Audio WA7, because the sound is muddy. I just bought LCD2C, because it is one of the lightest Audeze headphone, but still it is heavy. With my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold, the bass is beautiful, rich and creamy. I don't feel any grainy sound. I like LCD2C sound, because I like the slightly dark and rich sound. Aeon is really one of good headphones, but bright to me. I will keep LCD2C.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #1,164 of 7,334
I got my LCD2C couple of days ago. I have couple of other headphone: HE560, HD650, HD800, AH-7200 and W5000. Yes, if you don't use a powerful amp, sound of LCD2C is muddy. I could not play LCD2C with Woo Audio WA7, because the sound is muddy. I just bought LCD2C, because it is one of the lightest Audeze headphone, but still it is heavy. With my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold, the bass is beautiful, rich and creamy. I don't feel any grainy sound. I like LCD2C sound, because I like the slightly dark and rich sound. Aeon is really one of good headphones, but bright to me. I will keep LCD2C.

Hi , how do you compare lcd2c to the denon 7200? (I already have the denon and i'm interested in the audeze...)

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #1,165 of 7,334
In these past days I was driving 2C out of a tube amp but today things have changed when switching to a solid state portable amp. This headphone has a noticeable glare in the treble region, it's kind of bright...I didn't expect LCD to be on this level of brightness. Maybe I have to watch out for the pairing from now.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,166 of 7,334
Oh, that's a tough one! I love the sound of the LCD2C, but even with the new headband it does get a bit heavy after a while. The AEON Flow Open is the most comfortable of the three and has a relaxed sound but still lots of detail. The Clear have all the detail, are very dynamic, and are comfortable, but not as much as the AFO. So, if I had to choose only one of the three to keep, I would probably keep the AFO because of comfort and versatility (and because I also have the Elear)... all genres sound good with the AFO.

Really interesting thoughts here, thank you very much for the feedback!

I'm a single headphone guy (even though I tested, selled and returned many cans), so I'm looking for a definitive all-rounder.

I really like the LCD-2C, from the design and build quality to the comfort and sound perspective, but I find the mids a tad distant and the highs a little too tamed for a classical music listener, despite the bass response and resolution overall is damn good, but I need to turn up the volume more often than I expected... :frowning2:

Which headphone do yo find more suitable for an all-rounder with good capabilities for classical music and low-listening volumes between the AFOs and the Clears, but also great for other genres?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,167 of 7,334
Really interesting thoughts here, thank you very much for the feedback!

I'm a single headphone guy (even though I tested, selled and returned many cans), so I'm looking for a definitive all-rounder.

I really like the LCD-2C, from the design and build quality to the comfort and sound perspective, but I find the mids a tad distant and the highs a little too tamed for a classical music listener, despite the bass response and resolution overall is damn good, but I need to turn up the volume more often than I expected... :frowning2:

Which headphone do yo find more suitable for an all-rounder with good capabilities for classical music and low-listening volumes between the AFOs and the Clears, but also great for other genres?
The answer is clearly AFO here IMO. These Focal headphones aren't known for having good staging.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,169 of 7,334
If you feel the sound is thin or bright, use the reveal plugin for some dsp. Also these respond good with eq. I got a eq setting from trusted ears and it helped a lot with strings. do 3300 q=.76 and add 3 db or more and it can add life to strings.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,170 of 7,334
If you feel the sound is thin or bright, use the reveal plugin for some dsp. Also these respond good with eq. I got a eq setting from trusted ears and it helped a lot with strings. do 3300 q=.76 and add 3 db or more and it can add life to strings.

Actually they behave really good with EQ (I tried the treble booster preset for MusicBee and brings up the highs and detail retrieval into the equation), but I don't like to depend from EQ to have the sound quality I want...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back