Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,201 of 7,334
Have an early revision LCD2, definitely no treble glare. Some people think that classical should have this 'airy' quality to it, but early LCD2 brings some real weight to it, that is real without being overblown. Really, one of the best headphones for acoustic music - be it rock or classical. Vocals are also amazing and clear.

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,202 of 7,334
Hello! To confirm since I want to be 100% sure based on your post that you speaking about the LCD-2C’s being great for rock / metal / electronic?

Because I own the 400i’s now, newest revision with the 2.5mm and like them a lot for the music I listen to but I could certainly use a bit more bass and a bit less treble since the 400i’s can be fatiguing. I have been researching to see if the 2C’s would be considered a direct upgrade to the 400i’s and am liking what I am reading so far!

LCD2C if they are anything like earlier LCD2 dig a lot deeper in the bass, and slam more than the 400i. Even newer LCD2F are very good for electronic, but the deeper tuning of the classic and earlier revisions can be preferred.

400i are good headphones, really good even, but they are missing the bottom octave :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,203 of 7,334
LCD2C if they are anything like earlier LCD2 dig a lot deeper in the bass, and slam more than the 400i. Even newer LCD2F are very good for electronic, but the deeper tuning of the classic and earlier revisions can be preferred.

400i are good headphones, really good even, but they are missing the bottom octave :)

I own both of these, with an EQ, the 400i do have a decent amount of bass to give, but the highs can be a tad on the fatiguing side. The LCD2C is a decent amount better though, the lows have much more of a warmness and quality to them. An EQ'd 400i has punch but it feels artificial a bit, not to mention the upper end seems more hollow than the LCD2C. I'd argue the he400i has a bit more clarity in the upper end than the 2c but at the cost of being a bit bright. I find the LCD2C to be a bit softer and easier to listen to. Best way I can describe it. Acoustic music isn't going to win any soundstage or detail awards but it's certainly very well done.

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,204 of 7,334
I got my LCD2C couple of days ago. I have couple of other headphone: HE560, HD650, HD800, AH-7200 and W5000. Yes, if you don't use a powerful amp, sound of LCD2C is muddy. I could not play LCD2C with Woo Audio WA7, because the sound is muddy. I just bought LCD2C, because it is one of the lightest Audeze headphone, but still it is heavy. With my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold, the bass is beautiful, rich and creamy. I don't feel any grainy sound. I like LCD2C sound, because I like the slightly dark and rich sound. Aeon is really one of good headphones, but bright to me. I will keep LCD2C.
Did you find the LCD-2c was muddier than the HD650 when paired with Woo Audio WA7 ( my current setup )? I have been looking for a can that is slightly brighter and bit wider sound stage. Would the LCD-2C meet my criteria? I auditioned the LCD-2F and WA7 combo and I thought it was amazing.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,207 of 7,334
Did you find the LCD-2c was muddier than the HD650 when paired with Woo Audio WA7 ( my current setup )? I have been looking for a can that is slightly brighter and bit wider sound stage. Would the LCD-2C meet my criteria? I auditioned the LCD-2F and WA7 combo and I thought it was amazing.
Yes, LCD-2C is muddier than HD650 with WA7(D), because of lack of power(watts rather than volts). As you know, LCD-2C is planar type and it needs much more watts. But HD650 has warmer and Sennheiser tonality, which I like it.
If you want to have a slightly brighter can, I recommend MrSpeakers Aeon open can. It is all round player and generates good sound with WA7(D).

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #1,209 of 7,334
HD800 is a different beast. Yes, it delivers a good sound with WA7(D). but with WA7(D), HD800 does not produce a huge sound stage compared with TR amp, although it is still enough. The peak at treble is getting less, and it looks good, clean and slightly warmer sound than TR amp. But the bass is getting weaker with WA7. Generally, it is OK with WA7D, but WA7 does not produce enough power for bass and treble. WA7D is a good match with HD800. I talked Jack, CEO of Woo Audio on Aug, 2018 at San Francisco Woo Audio Festival. Jack said Woo Audio tested WA7D a lot with HD800, when it was been developed. It should be good.

Aeon needs less power and WA7 is a nice match. This thread is for LCD2C. I will not talk a lot for HD800 or AFO. There is a simple math. If you want to have headphones less than $1000, AOF is an all round player. But if you like thick bass, warmer, less sibilant and Audeze sound, definitely I recommend LCD2C.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,210 of 7,334
HD800 is a different beast. Yes, it delivers a good sound with WA7(D). but with WA7(D), HD800 does not produce a huge sound stage compared with TR amp, although it is still enough. The peak at treble is getting less, and it looks good, clean and slightly warmer sound than TR amp. But the bass is getting weaker with WA7. Generally, it is OK with WA7D, but WA7 does not produce enough power for bass and treble. WA7D is a good match with HD800. I talked Jack, CEO of Woo Audio on Aug, 2018 at San Francisco Woo Audio Festival. Jack said Woo Audio tested WA7D a lot with HD800, when it was been developed. It should be good.

Aeon needs less power and WA7 is a nice match. This thread is for LCD2C. I will not talk a lot for HD800 or AFO. There is a simple math. If you want to have headphones less than $1000, AOF is an all round player. But if you like thick bass, warmer, less sibilant and Audeze sound, definitely I recommend LCD2C.

I'm confused, are you saying the Wa7D is the newer one? On their website, the Wa7 shows more expensive and 2nd gen where as the Wa7D is cheaper

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #1,211 of 7,334
After more listening, I’d put the comfort of these headphones into the “bearable” category. Definitely still causes headaches after some time wearing them, but no neck issues (though I’ve never had neck issues with an Audeze headphone). It’s certainly more comfortable than their old headband (which to be honest was an ergonomic nightmare). The headband strap gets within a millimeter of touching the metal part (or depending on how you wear it it does touch the metal part) which makes me worried that the pleather may stretch over time and make them less comfortable, putting all the weight of the headphones onto the tip top of your head. They may be more comfortable than the old LCDs, but they’re no HD800 or 99 Classics in the comfort department. More padding on the strap and more space between the strap and metal piece would certainly be welcome changes to the rev 2 of this headband (take a long hard look at the 99 classic headband, that’s how you make a comfy headband!). These will likely be relegated to bedtime use rather than daytime use because the comfort is not up to par.
Despite all that, this is a huge step for Audeze, and is very close to what I was asking for years ago.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,212 of 7,334
Have an early revision LCD2, definitely no treble glare. Some people think that classical should have this 'airy' quality to it, but early LCD2 brings some real weight to it, that is real without being overblown. Really, one of the best headphones for acoustic music - be it rock or classical. Vocals are also amazing and clear.
This is actually not 2.2 as it's using new driver.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #1,213 of 7,334
This is actually not 2.2 as it's using new driver.

Yes. I have a 2.1, not sure if that is the sound the LCD2C is going for. Hoping it is though. Not sure even if it is quite possible.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,214 of 7,334
Yes. I have a 2.1, not sure if that is the sound the LCD2C is going for. Hoping it is though. Not sure even if it is quite possible.
This is actually a non-fazor version of the driver manufactured on Oct 2017. I have looked around for measurement. This headphone is not exactly the prefazor 2.2 that people were really hoping for, it does somehow replicate but not exactly.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,215 of 7,334
Interesting! This may be the same treble brightness I’ve been noticing. For acoustic music it sounds phenomenal, but for electronic it seems to have a surprising amount of upper treble to my ears. I’m hoping it’s a result of my current setup I cobbled together while visiting family rather than intrinsic to the headphone itself. I owned the LCD-2 revision right before the addition of fazor and they didn’t have this treble glare.

As for the EQ discussion, I’m planning on perhaps having these as a bedside headphone out of an iPad (to my amp of choice), so my EQ options are extremely limited unfortunately, which is why I hope I don’t have to EQ these.

One thing that has been surprising to me is the sense of space these headphones provide, which I didn’t expect at all. I haven’t nailed down exactly why, but I should have some more time to listen today and get my thoughts in order. :)
I’ve noticed this on the LCD4 as well.. If it’s like the LCD4, it’s at very high frequencies (over 10k), and I think it’s resposible for the sense of space. It’s great when it’s amplifying the spatial queues, but can be overbearing when it’s the primary tone (as can be found in a lot of electronic music). My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back