Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,216 of 7,334
After more listening, I’d put the comfort of these headphones into the “bearable” category. Definitely still causes headaches after some time wearing them, but no neck issues (though I’ve never had neck issues with an Audeze headphone). It’s certainly more comfortable than their old headband (which to be honest was an ergonomic nightmare). The headband strap gets within a millimeter of touching the metal part (or depending on how you wear it it does touch the metal part) which makes me worried that the pleather may stretch over time and make them less comfortable, putting all the weight of the headphones onto the tip top of your head. They may be more comfortable than the old LCDs, but they’re no HD800 or 99 Classics in the comfort department. More padding on the strap and more space between the strap and metal piece would certainly be welcome changes to the rev 2 of this headband (take a long hard look at the 99 classic headband, that’s how you make a comfy headband!). These will likely be relegated to bedtime use rather than daytime use because the comfort is not up to par.
Despite all that, this is a huge step for Audeze, and is very close to what I was asking for years ago.

Well put regarding the comfort and how the pleather headband suspension responds to the metal headband on top. I've been playing around with it to get it more comfortable.

It's a shame since these get a lot right sound wise. Decisions, decisions.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #1,217 of 7,334
Well put regarding the comfort and how the pleather headband suspension responds to the metal headband on top. I've been playing around with it to get it more comfortable.

It's a shame since these get a lot right sound wise. Decisions, decisions.
For me the comfort is not an issue (I currently own the 2016F version, which is 100g heavier and perfectly comfortable with a Lohb strap). My issue is the use of pleather in place of the promised leather (all the initial specs mentioned leather very specifically, as did the CanJam launch interview). No matter how comfy, pleather will crack and peel over time, while looked after and maintained leather will become both softer and more supple but also last much longer. I get that it was probably a cost cutting decision, but still...

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,219 of 7,334
For me the comfort is not an issue (I currently own the 2016F version, which is 100g heavier and perfectly comfortable with a Lohb strap). My issue is the use of pleather in place of the promised leather (all the initial specs mentioned leather very specifically, as did the CanJam launch interview). No matter how comfy, pleather will crack and peel over time, while looked after and maintained leather will become both softer and more supple but also last much longer. I get that it was probably a cost cutting decision, but still...
No wooden ring (its lighter but not that much), no travel case, fake leather....This makes everything look so cheap but people still buy it because of the sound despite no reviews. This seems to be a cheap way to bait people from Audeze...unless they send us a pair of leather pad to replace this. This still feels very cheap somehow...I'm jealous of those who have regular LCD2F now, you can buy off the headband anytime if they release it considering the high demand.
@not to mention no adapter converts from 1/4 to 3.5 included , very frustrating.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,220 of 7,334
I'm confused, are you saying the Wa7D is the newer one? On their website, the Wa7 shows more expensive and 2nd gen where as the Wa7D is cheaper
WA7 is now second generation, which has a new DAC(ESS9018M), but amp is same. I am not using WA7 DAC, I am using only AMP at WA7(D) normally. WA7D was developed several years ago. I am saying WA7D which has two watts output.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #1,223 of 7,334
Bbjnnj
No wooden ring (its lighter but not that much), no travel case, fake leather....This makes everything look so cheap but people still buy it because of the sound despite no reviews. This seems to be a cheap way to bait people from Audeze...unless they send us a pair of leather pad to replace this. This still feels very cheap somehow...I'm jealous of those who have regular LCD2F now, you can buy off the headband anytime if they release it considering the high demand.
@not to mention no adapter converts from 1/4 to 3.5 included , very frustrating.
30 day return policy

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,224 of 7,334
I do believe they also said the strap would be carbon fiber rather than steel originally. Kind of a bummer.
Though to be fair I have a feeling that the pleather will last quite awhile. Cheaper pleather has peeled on me after a year or two at most, while the pleather on the 2c feels just like the pleather on the Denon D7000 (much softer and more pliable than other fake leathers), and those pads looked brand new even after 7 or so years of ownership. If they do use the same or similar quality pleather as the D7000, they should last quite awhile without issue.

Of course, leather will always last longer.

They certainly don’t feel cheap. Based on the descriptions, it sounds like the material they use for the 2c is Leona or a similar material, which is what the HD800 is constructed of. If it is something like Leona, the 2c should be very durable (much more durable than wood especially). They’re coated in a paint that makes the plastic pieces feel like metal (unlike the seemingly mediocre paint the HD800 uses). To be honest, I had to put my cheek up against the different parts of the headphone and feel the temperature to tell whether parts were metal or plastic.

Though I definitely get where you’re coming from, the materials are definitely less fancy. And while you could argue for the use of glass fiber nylon instead of other heavier and weaker materials, the argument for the pleather is less convincing.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,227 of 7,334
Though to be fair I have a feeling that the pleather will last quite awhile. Cheaper pleather has peeled on me after a year or two at most, while the pleather on the 2c feels just like the pleather on the Denon D7000 (much softer and more pliable than other fake leathers), and those pads looked brand new even after 7 or so years of ownership. If they do use the same or similar quality pleather as the D7000, they should last quite awhile without issue.
I have nothing again pleather, per se, but I distinctly remember the quotes coming out at the time of the announcement that they would use genuine leather like all LCDs. I'm a stickler for real wood and leather on my headphones, so that was a bit disappointing - but then I'm not in line to buy the 2C anytime soon (having already got the latest 2F and being very happy with it indeed). No doubt it's excellent pleather.

They certainly don’t feel cheap. Based on the descriptions, it sounds like the material they use for the 2c is Leona or a similar material, which is what the HD800 is constructed of. If it is something like Leona, the 2c should be very durable (much more durable than wood especially). They’re coated in a paint that makes the plastic pieces feel like metal (unlike the seemingly mediocre paint the HD800 uses). To be honest, I had to put my cheek up against the different parts of the headphone and feel the temperature to tell whether parts were metal or plastic.
Personally the metal construction was what attracted me to the 2C in the first place. That was before I discovered they made a version of the 2F in Aluminium, and I was sold! While I love wood in headphones (I had a Fostex, now an Atticus), it only really makes sense as a cup material. Not a fan of the Audeze wood rings - they look out of place (for me) and are most definitely very fragile (I know of three instances personally where an LCD-2 ring snapped at the usual weak point, and two LCD-4s were delivered with chips). Aluminium/metal is so much more practical and durable - and in my opinion, much better looking.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,228 of 7,334
Got mine today! (one week shipping over christmas holiday to Sweden) and I evaded the VAT! But can't give them any fair impressions yet, running them through my computer soundcard is probably not making them justice even though they already sound good. Hoping I get my Magni/Modi combo tomorrow or on friday...

Anyone know if you get the cables needed between the magni3 and the modi2 in any of the products? Or should I buy some to have when they arrive... ?:)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,229 of 7,334
Got mine today! (one week shipping over christmas holiday to Sweden) and I evaded the VAT! But can't give them any fair impressions yet, running them through my computer soundcard is probably not making them justice even though they already sound good. Hoping I get my Magni/Modi combo tomorrow or on friday...

Anyone know if you get the cables needed between the magni3 and the modi2 in any of the products? Or should I buy some to have when they arrive... ?:)

Which courrier did you use? If i was shure that i wouldn't pay vat i would buy now

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,230 of 7,334

Buy the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back