Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #5,821 of 7,335
I have to agree with this. But I don't think he has to spend a thousand on a dacamp to enjoy his LCD-2C. I just think a real amp that doesn't run off a walwart PSU has a better chance of doing that than what he has now. There has to be some parity. You can't spend 90% of the budget on headphones and 10% on an amp and think everything should be fine.
I didn't say he has to spend a thousand. I said around $600 seems like a reasonable amount to get a DAC/amp combo which can drive the 2C with authority. Maybe a little less with the THX-789 and some budget dac.

May 20, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #5,822 of 7,335
I received my LCD-2C a couple of days ago and I am very happy with my purchase. About a week ago I had purchased the Aeon Flow Closed RT but I immediately returned them. I really disliked their sound. Maybe it was my system (THX AAA 789 and ifi Zen DAC) not being a good match but they sounded dead, for lack of a better word. The LCD-2C sound completely opposite of dead. They are punchy, quick, and detailed to me.
I've always found Mrspeakers headphones to sound like that, just overly compressed, like there's zero dynamics. I've not tried the new Aeon 2's yet though.

Before I tried the Aeon flow open some people mentioned how they're so lush and engaging, like a planar HD650. When I tried them they had a nice tone, cleaner bass than the HD650 but didn't have the dynamics, sounded even shoutier in the upper mids. Everything sounded, well..flat an Audeze can hit hard, give you good spacious distance between notes, Aeon Flow open sounded like it was trying to mush everything into one small space.

For some reason I find smaller driver planars to sound bad, not sure if it's a coincidence because dynamics are small also. The PM-1 sounded the same, compressed, but was overly gooey poo like a cheap tube amp like the Little Dot MK2 or Woo WA3. LCD-2 Classics whoops those headphones back to front regardless of driver grade.

May 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #5,823 of 7,335
I placed an order for LCD-2C after reading this whole thread and watching a lot of reviews. And then I found the Hifiman Arya's thread. And now I am confused if I should spend more money (basically double) to get Arya. I decided to buy LCD-2C because I read that they have really good bass. I do like bass, it is the first thing I notice in a headphone but I do appreciate mids too. I don't exactly hate treble but I find it fatiguing.

Genre of music I like : Rock, Metal, Movie score, Electronic, Dubstep.

Right now I am using an HD 6XX and I have used M50x in past. I also own a Sony 1000XM3, I like the bass quantity on them but they just sound boomy and muffled compared to 6XX or even M50x for my taste.

Also, worth mentioning that I don't have a "audiophile" grade DAC-AMP. I have a creative SoundblasterX G6, which I bought without much thought and mostly because my onboard audio stopped working. If I don't cancel my LCD-2C order then I can spend some extra money (around $600) on a decent DAC and AMP. If I end up getting an Arya then I am pretty sure that I won't be upgrading my DAC/AMP anytime soon.

May 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #5,824 of 7,335
I placed an order for LCD-2C after reading this whole thread and watching a lot of reviews. And then I found the Hifiman Arya's thread. And now I am confused if I should spend more money (basically double) to get Arya. I decided to buy LCD-2C because I read that they have really good bass. I do like bass, it is the first thing I notice in a headphone but I do appreciate mids too. I don't exactly hate treble but I find it fatiguing.

Right now I am using an HD 6XX and I have used M50x in past. I also own a Sony 1000XM3, I like the bass quantity on them but they just sound boomy and muffled compared to 6XX or even M50x for my taste.

Also, worth mentioning that I don't have a "audiophile" grade DAC-AMP. I have a creative SoundblasterX G6, which I bought without much thought and mostly because my onboard audio stopped working. If I don't cancel my LCD-2C order then I can spend some extra money (around $600) on a decent DAC and AMP. If I end up getting an Arya then I am pretty sure that I won't be upgrading my DAC/AMP anytime soon.
Read less.

May 20, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,825 of 7,335

I haven't heard the Arya but anybody who says the LCD-2C doesn't have great bass is just delusional or repeating mindless blather from reading complaints from guys running a pair right off their phone or laptop.

The LCD-2C is absolutely inoffensive. There is not too much of anything. I consider it the Sennheiser of planars. The fact you like your 6XX tells me you will love the 2C and find it a great compliment.

If you get a decent amp you should be able to drive the LCD-2C with authority. Stay away from el-cheapo amps and go with something middle of the road that everybody agrees is good.

Just like in the 1970s when graphic EQ came out and people bass-boosted themselves into low-fi with their mid-fi gear, people coming from el-cheapo equipment are used to overly boosted bass and unrealistic sound signatures. The headphones, earphones and speakers they came from are marketed directly at people who don't understand what quality audio is about. And when their heads don't rattle they cry weak bass. Those V sound signatures might or might not be fun, but they're not accurate.

Audiophilia is about reproducing the sound of the band as you would have heard it standing in the studio with them or in the front row at their venue. It is not about rattling windows in a competition to see who's car stereo has the most bass.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #5,826 of 7,335
I haven't heard the Arya but anybody who says the LCD-2C doesn't have great bass is just delusional or repeating mindless blather from reading complaints from guys running a pair right off their phone or laptop.

The LCD-2C is absolutely inoffensive. There is not too much of anything. I consider it the Sennheiser of planars. The fact you like your 6XX tells me you will love the 2C and find it a great compliment.

If you get a decent amp you should be able to drive the LCD-2C with authority. Stay away from el-cheapo amps and go with something middle of the road that everybody agrees is good.

Just like in the 1970s when graphic EQ came out and people bass-boosted themselves into low-fi with their mid-fi gear, people coming from el-cheapo equipment are used to overly boosted bass and unrealistic sound signatures. The headphones, earphones and speakers they came from are marketed directly at people who don't understand what quality audio is about. And when their heads don't rattle they cry weak bass. Those V sound signatures might or might not be fun, but they're not accurate.

Audiophilia is about reproducing the sound of the band as you would have heard it standing in the studio with them or in the front row at their venue. It is not about rattling windows in a competition to see who's car stereo has the most bass.
Whilst I agree with them having great bass I disagree about people who like the Senns liking the classics. They're very different headphones in every area. The Audeze have much more leading edge with recessed upper mids where as the sennheisers peak at 5k giving female vocals a much more forward position. The LCD-2C in particular are slightly different to the other Audeze as they almost a tent like FR, roll down from 1k at both ends almost. The HD650 a more like the Aeolus, or even closer the Focal Clear where as Audeze are just Audeze, their presentation is suited to people like myself who can't bear upper mid peaks for long periods of time and love monster sub bass.

May 20, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #5,827 of 7,335
Read less.
Possibly the best advice :beerchug:. This is just an endless road.

I don't think I have seen anyone with a comment that LCD-2C doesn't have good bass. I'll most probably get LCD-2C and a decent amp for them. Buying a good amp in my country is super hard. I am also looking for a good amp. But most of the stuff which is recommended here and on other forums is not available here or available and super inflated price.

Audeze are just Audeze, their presentation is suited to people like myself who can't bear upper mid peaks for long periods of time and love monster sub bass.

That's me!

May 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,828 of 7,335
Whilst I agree with them having great bass I disagree about people who like the Senns liking the classics. They're very different headphones in every area. The Audeze have much more leading edge with recessed upper mids where as the sennheisers peak at 5k giving female vocals a much more forward position. The LCD-2C in particular are slightly different to the other Audeze as they almost a tent like FR, roll down from 1k at both ends almost. The HD650 a more like the Aeolus, or even closer the Focal Clear where as Audeze are just Audeze, their presentation is suited to people like myself who can't bear upper mid peaks for long periods of time and love monster sub bass.
Yup loving the lcd4s for this very reason. No fatigue.

May 20, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #5,829 of 7,335
Yup loving the lcd4s for this very reason. No fatigue.
Best headphones I ever owned, I miss mine but just can't justify the price anymore as kids are expensive haha. Audeze range is funny because I think they should've done away with the LCD-3, X and all these weird in-betweens and just keep the LCD-2 and LCD-4 as I feel these are the best in the line up. LCD-2 for that lush, deep impactful sound and LCD-4 for amazing resolution, and improvements over the LCD-2.

May 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,830 of 7,335

I own both and both are excellent at their price range.

From what littke you described so far about your preferences, I am pretty sure that you will love the LCD-2C.

Since you don't have an amp and dac anywhere near the league of LCD-2Cs or Arya I suggest that you spare the money for the Arya and invest into a small to Middle league schiit stack or an Drop THX 789 to get the best out of the LCDs.

The Arya are more complementary than a replacement and stay valid for later, however they scale even better with good amplification

May 20, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #5,831 of 7,335
Best headphones I ever owned, I miss mine but just can't justify the price anymore as kids are expensive haha. Audeze range is funny because I think they should've done away with the LCD-3, X and all these weird in-betweens and just keep the LCD-2 and LCD-4 as I feel these are the best in the line up. LCD-2 for that lush, deep impactful sound and LCD-4 for amazing resolution, and improvements over the LCD-2.
I agree, but I do love the xc as a closed back!

May 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #5,832 of 7,335

In a nutshell:

Arya: much more spacious than the 2C, also much softer sounding and more natural. Completely different presentation.
2C: smaller soundstage but a much more focused, more dynamic and punchier sound.

From an objective point of view perhaps the Arya is a better headphone overall but subjectively some people (like me) might prefer the 2C (or LCDX) versus the Arya for that extra fun and punchiness. With modern music I think the LCD line is better, with acoustic music I would possibly prefer the Arya. This is of course just my subjective opinion. Everyone's taste is different.

May 20, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #5,833 of 7,335

LCD-3 is too good to ignore, especially for lush sounding lover.

Arya will give you better technicalities, airier sound with more spacious staging. Sound great, but I also worry the vocal/treble may annoy you with harshness or sibilant, in case the song recording is not so good, or you have bad synergy set-up. Not to mention Arya definitely need an amp to shine.

Safest bet is going to LCD-2 (either classic or fazor), or try to get second hand LCD-3.

May 20, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #5,834 of 7,335
Arya
LCD-3 is too good to ignore, especially for lush sounding lover.

Arya will give you better technicalities, airier sound with more spacious staging. Sound great, but I also worry the vocal/treble may annoy you with harshness or sibilant, in case the song recording is not so good, or you have bad synergy set-up. Not to mention Arya definitely need an amp to shine.

Safest bet is going to LCD-2 (either classic or fazor), or try to get second hand LCD-3.
I had an LCD-3 made in 2018 and it sounded too bright, not lush at all compared to what they used to. It's difficult with Auduze phones as there's so much variation. I've got an LCD-2 fazor made in late 2017 on my head now and it's the most lush one I've heard since the 2010 Audeze LCD-2. I've also got a 2020 fazor here which has better response and leading edge and less lush, but it might sound like that as it doesn't have the warm, glow this 2017 has. It's funny because I ordered two LCD-2F's because I wanted to test variation and they must've had some 2017 made models. I'm glad because this model from 2017 really hits those old school LCD feels.

May 20, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #5,835 of 7,335
Arya

I had an LCD-3 made in 2018 and it sounded too bright, not lush at all compared to what they used to. It's difficult with Auduze phones as there's so much variation. I've got an LCD-2 fazor made in late 2017 on my head now and it's the most lush one I've heard since the 2010 Audeze LCD-2. I've also got a 2020 fazor here which has better response and leading edge and less lush, but it might sound like that as it doesn't have the warm, glow this 2017 has. It's funny because I ordered two LCD-2F's because I wanted to test variation and they must've had some 2017 made models. I'm glad because this model from 2017 really hits those old school LCD feels.

oh man... that's indeed confusing to choose the right one. Less lush could be a good sign too, I think I need to try LCD 2F 2020 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back