Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #5,836 of 7,335
oh man... that's indeed confusing to choose the right one. Less lush could be a good sign too, I think I need to try LCD 2F 2020 version.
If you can wait until your local Audeze dealer is able to open back up for business you may want to consider doing actual comparative Audeze listening sessions to establish which model is for you. Having said that I must confess that I bought the LCD-2C unheard, nor did I compare it to any other Audeze headphone (what a hypocrite!). I suppose I got lucky because the LCD-2C is awesome.

May 20, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #5,837 of 7,335
oh man... that's indeed confusing to choose the right one. Less lush could be a good sign too, I think I need to try LCD 2F 2020 version.
There is some driver variation, but it is not as bad as some people say. The 2F in general has a smoother and slightly more balanced, also slightly more spacious sound versus the 2C. The 2C has a slightly punchier sound with more bass than the 2F. Not as balanced, but with modern music it is more fun. At least to me.

May 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #5,838 of 7,335
If you can wait until your local Audeze dealer is able to open back up for business you may want to consider doing actual comparative Audeze listening sessions to establish which model is for you. Having said that I must confess that I bought the LCD-2C unheard, nor did I compare it to any other Audeze headphone (what a hypocrite!). I suppose I got lucky because the LCD-2C is awesome.

I never heard the 2C's before buying mine. I had, however, done the review for The Audio Beat when the LCD-2's first came out, and I loved them (just couldn't afford them back then.) Now I can, and bought the 2C's as what I'd read made me feel I'd be getting as close to the original 2's as possible. Have heard nothing thus far to make me regret my decision.

May 20, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,839 of 7,335
It's a good trade off, depends what one needs. I wasn't even aware of a driver change since 2016 then 2017 when they changed the fazors to 6. But the 2020 made sound different enough. I think if there's opportunity to demo a unit out the box and you like it, one should go for it. This 2F has more bass heft than any 2C and other fazor I've heard that isn't an LCD-4. Audeze variance is something I'm always been interested in. I'm wondering if it just varies who put together the headphones and what materials they use for the drivers at the time.

Demo will be difficult due to the current SARS pandemic sadly.

May 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #5,840 of 7,335
I got an LCD-3F from late 2019 and it is warm and delightful. But yeah, it could be no two pairs of LCDs ever sound the same

May 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #5,841 of 7,335
Since you don't have an amp and dac anywhere near the league of LCD-2Cs or Arya I suggest that you spare the money for the Arya and invest into a small to Middle league schiit stack or an Drop THX 789 to get the best out of the LCDs.

I guess, I'll be doing this. After some quick research for AMP, I will be getting a Monoprice THX AAA dac + amp. Mostly because I read some good reviews about it and it is readily available with a local retailer.

Arya will give you better technicalities, airier sound with more spacious staging. Sound great, but I also worry the vocal/treble may annoy you with harshness or sibilant, in case the song recording is not so good, or you have bad synergy set-up. Not to mention Arya definitely need an amp to shine.

Safest bet is going to LCD-2 (either classic or fazor), or try to get second hand LCD-3.

I have a Sony-1000XM3 which I use mostly in office. And some songs I like sounds "better" on them than my 6XX. When I say better, I mostly mean there is no/less hissing sound. I guess, 6XX reveals the bad recording and the Sony just hides it in all the muddiness. So, I am not really sure but I guess I can relate to what you are saying about Arya.
As I said in some earlier posts, I have already ordered an LCD-2C. Can't wait. Getting 2nd hand hi-end audio gear seems to be almost impossible here. Let's see, if I like LCD-2C then maybe I will get the 3s later :)

May 20, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #5,842 of 7,335
As I said in some earlier posts, I have already ordered an LCD-2C. Can't wait. Getting 2nd hand hi-end audio gear seems to be almost impossible here. Let's see, if I like LCD-2C then maybe I will get the 3s later :)

I think you're going to love the 2C's. Wonderful headphones for the price. Are there better? Probably. Do I care? Nope. I just put my 2C's on and get lost in the music - and to me, that's what it's all about.

May 20, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #5,843 of 7,335
I think you're going to love the 2C's. Wonderful headphones for the price. Are there better? Probably. Do I care? Nope. I just put my 2C's on and get lost in the music - and to me, that's what it's all about.
Seriously though guys and gals, dont judge this headphone until youve used a silver/silver plated cable.. it opens RIGHT up.

May 20, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #5,844 of 7,335
I guess, I'll be doing this. After some quick research for AMP, I will be getting a Monoprice THX AAA dac + amp. Mostly because I read some good reviews about it and it is readily available with a local retailer.

That's a pretty good amp to Start out with.
Even has an built in EQ if you want to play around with it. Many say "don't EQ" but if it's a good Implementation the results can be really pleasing.

Other options could be the Monoprice THX AAA 887 and a separate DAC like a Schiit Modi. The price were roughly the same(slightly more due to extra shipping?) however the 887 has more power than the DAC+AMP (double actually)
You'd lose the EQ though.

The Schiit Jotunheim is also in that pricerange offers the same quality as the 887 and has the Option for a built in DAC Module.

May 20, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,845 of 7,335
Seriously though guys and gals, dont judge this headphone until youve used a silver/silver plated cable.. it opens RIGHT up.
Cant wait to Test my new norne cable with them. Shipping takes ages tho :frowning2:

May 20, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #5,846 of 7,335
Silver/silver plated cables do add more clarity to Audeze headphones, that is a fact. Cleaner bass with less bloom, some level of veil comes off from the treble. Not night and day, but to me it is 'clearly' audible. You don't need to spend hundreds on an upgrade cable though, a cheaper no-name manufacturer using the right materials can achieve the same improvement for 25% of the price of the well-known cable manufacturers at least to my experience.
When it comes to cables it is becoming a slippery slope. The overall improvement cables bring is not much more than 5-10% so it really matters whether you spend $400 or $100 on new cables. I tried both price range and unfortunately it seems to be a gamble regardless price. I owned no-name £80 silver plated cables from China which performed equally or better than other cables from different well-known manufacturers for £300+.

May 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #5,847 of 7,335
Audioquest...is that you?

May 20, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #5,848 of 7,335
I'm kidding. While cables do make some difference, it is the last thing one should upgrade in the chain especially if the phones come with a decent stock cable. Having tried many cables it's hard to give an improvement percentage. It's not going to make the headphones massively better but it can clean up some of the signal for sure.

I really do like the cables Mrspeakers makes and some of the Nordost cables although I'd never pay for a Nordost, ever.

May 20, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #5,850 of 7,335
I'm kidding. While cables do make some difference, it is the last thing one should upgrade in the chain especially if the phones come with a decent stock cable. Having tried many cables it's hard to give an improvement percentage. It's not going to make the headphones massively better but it can clean up some of the signal for sure.

I really do like the cables Mrspeakers makes and some of the Nordost cables although I'd never pay for a Nordost, ever.
absolutely and for me it was the last thing i upgraded to get the most out of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back