Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,886 of 7,334
My bitperfect FLAC obviously sounds much better, but here it is on YouTube. A great track that needs a headphone like the 2C to fully shine and be appreciated.

The 2C is a great starting point as a headphone. However it vastly improves with better amp and higher quality DAC. It can be tweaked further with USB signal cleaners like the iFi iPurifier 3.0 (and AQ Jitterbug). A good quality silver cable can also be an exquisite addition with undeniable benefits regarding clarity, tightness, punch and airiness.

With additional investments the 2C can be lifted to another level. Don't judge these headphones superficially out of some cheap/average source.
Without any of these aids out of a more ordinary source the 2C can come across as overly dark, hazy and lacking resolution, sparkle.
If you give them what they deserve power-wise and source-wise they will start to sing. Haziness disappears, thin veil disappears, slight boominess disappears. You get a full picture tight and controlled, refined and clear. Detailed and articulated with clean air and space everywhere. With all the additional investments and improvements the 2C can easily be an 'end game' headphone for music genres that require high quality bass.
It is like drawing a picture on a deflated balloon. That is the 2C with some average, boring source. If you plug the 2C into good amp, high quality DAC, use a signal cleaner and top quality aftermarket cables they start to sound like a different, truly TOTL headphone. Just like you inflate the balloon with the drawn picture on it. It becomes clear, sharp, airy, spacious, defined. Not much left to wish for really. At least not with my music.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,887 of 7,334
That sounds like quite an investment.. especially considering that most see the LCD-2C as a more affordable option. At that point I would consider purchasing something like a used HD 800S.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,888 of 7,334
That sounds like quite an investment.. especially considering that most see the LCD-2C as a more affordable option. At that point I would consider purchasing something like a used HD 800S.
That's relative. Many find the 800 or 800S treble a bit piercing and prefer the more laid-back treble presentation of Audeze. Many people/reviewers actually prefer the tonality and presentation of the 2C to any other Audeze headphones. If this tonality and presentation can be cleaned with certain tools for a few hundred extra that might give more joy to someone than the LCD4 for example.
After a certain level there are no bad headphones just different tastes and needs. The 2C is a wonderful if not perfect headphone for dark/smooth taste with bass preference. If this can be cleaned and improved with certain devices than it can be a worthwhile investment to someone instead of purchasing something entirely different like the 800s.
All I am saying is there is a great potential in the 2C if you are willing to invest in upgrades.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,889 of 7,334
My bitperfect FLAC obviously sounds much better, but here it is on YouTube. A great track that needs a headphone like the 2C to fully shine and be appreciated.

The 2C is a great starting point as a headphone. However it vastly improves with better amp and higher quality DAC. It can be tweaked further with USB signal cleaners like the iFi iPurifier 3.0 (and AQ Jitterbug). A good quality silver cable can also be an exquisite addition with undeniable benefits regarding clarity, tightness, punch and airiness.

With additional investments the 2C can be lifted to another level. Don't judge these headphones superficially out of some cheap/average source.
Without any of these aids out of a more ordinary source the 2C can come across as overly dark, hazy and lacking resolution, sparkle.
If you give them what they deserve power-wise and source-wise they will start to sing. Haziness disappears, thin veil disappears, slight boominess disappears. You get a full picture tight and controlled, refined and clear. Detailed and articulated with clean air and space everywhere. With all the additional investments and improvements the 2C can easily be an 'end game' headphone for music genres that require high quality bass.
It is like drawing a picture on a deflated balloon. That is the 2C with some average, boring source. If you plug the 2C into good amp, high quality DAC, use a signal cleaner and top quality aftermarket cables they start to sound like a different, truly TOTL headphone. Just like you inflate the balloon with the drawn picture on it. It becomes clear, sharp, airy, spacious, defined. Not much left to wish for really. At least not with my music.

Well in the end the people who own this headphone really just want to sit down and enjoy the music. However if that really is how you want your end game to be and you want to continue owning the 2C then it is not a bad investment. I don't think I myself listen to the headphone that anal at any given point in time after purchase, to warrant something like USB signal cleaners, besides the fact that I use optical... I do believe my HA-1 can drive them to their potential and really unless it brakes I wouldn't buy anything to replace it. I will in good time upgrade the cable no doubt, for various reasons and probably change the pads to the velour after these break. I won't change the 2C anytime soon, I like them.

Either way, that is pretty much the case with most headphones. They are only as good as your equipment allow them to be.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,890 of 7,334
Well in the end the people who own this headphone really just want to sit down and enjoy the music. However if that really is how you want your end game to be and you want to continue owning the 2C then it is not a bad investment. I don't think I myself listen to the headphone that anal at any given point in time after purchase, to warrant something like USB signal cleaners, besides the fact that I use optical... I do believe my HA-1 can drive them to their potential and really unless it brakes I wouldn't buy anything to replace it. I will in good time upgrade the cable no doubt, for various reasons and probably change the pads to the velour after these break. I won't change the 2C anytime soon, I like them.

Either way, that is pretty much the case with most headphones. They are only as good as your equipment allow them to be.
Sure. And these headphones can sound enjoyable from affordable source. But on the one hand I am amazed how much they improve with better source, on the second hand I want to prevent listeners judging these headphones superficially out of cheap sources when they have such a potential for improvement.
I was very sceptical with USB signal purifiers until I recently reviewed (and bought) one.
My recent experiences regarding higher quality amps/DACs/headphones have rewritten the way I look at audio gear or headphones. Headphones are the windows to music. The 2C is a perfect window if it meets your needs/taste (for bass oriented music). You don't need a better window. If you want to improve the sight, you need to invest in other things, like a better telescope... IMO...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,891 of 7,334
Sure. And these headphones can sound enjoyable from affordable source. But on the one hand I am amazed how much they improve with better source, on the second hand I want to prevent listeners judging these headphones superficially out of cheap sources when they have such a potential for improvement.
I was very sceptical with USB signal purifiers until I recently reviewed (and bought) one.
My recent experiences regarding higher quality amps/DACs/headphones have rewritten the way I look at audio gear or headphones. Headphones are the windows to music. The 2C is a perfect window if it meets your needs/taste (for bass oriented music). You don't need a better window. If you want to improve the sight, you need to invest in other things... IMO...

*Cough* Placebo *Cough*

Who knows, but there sure will be people that find it appropriate to drive these from anything they want, like there always are. It is presented as "budget" option, so all the mid tier range people stretch out and don't have the money for the gear needed to drive them to their potential in the end they gained nothing. Or as they see it. Depends from person to person a lot of people like me are just trying things out and hearing things their way in the end regardless.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,892 of 7,334
*Cough* Placebo *Cough*

Who knows, but there sure will be people that find it appropriate to drive these from anything they want, like there always are. It is presented as "budget" option, so all the mid tier range people stretch out and don't have the money for the gear needed to drive them to their potential in the end they gained nothing. Or as they see it. Depends from person to person a lot of people like me are just trying things out and hearing things their way in the end regardless.
Sure. I think it is good for the hobby that Audeze put these out at a more affordable price. Even if the majority of 2C buyers will probably never experience the full potential of their headphones the 2C has become a more affordable Audeze. Even with cheaper gear the 2C gives you something special. Perfect bass experience if nothing else. I think it was a good move from Audeze to sell the 2C at this price. More people can fall in love with this bass presentation. More people can invest in additional audio gear.
The 2C is great out from anything. Making it relatively low impedance was a great move from Audeze. They attract more potential buyers. But they also left some 'Easter eggs' for long-term audiophiles. The 2C vastly improves with great source. If you like bassy music you don't need a better headphone to reach audio bliss, just a better setup.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,893 of 7,334
That's relative. Many find the 800 or 800S treble a bit piercing and prefer the more laid-back treble presentation of Audeze. Many people/reviewers actually prefer the tonality and presentation of the 2C to any other Audeze headphones. If this tonality and presentation can be cleaned with certain tools for a few hundred extra that might give more joy to someone than the LCD4 for example.
After a certain level there are no bad headphones just different tastes and needs. The 2C is a wonderful if not perfect headphone for dark/smooth taste with bass preference. If this can be cleaned and improved with certain devices than it can be a worthwhile investment to someone instead of purchasing something entirely different like the 800s.
All I am saying is there is a great potential in the 2C if you are willing to invest in upgrades.

You don't even really need to spend lots of money to get the absolute best form the 2C either as there are now budget sources and amps capable of bringing out everything in the 2C. Sources like the Topping D50 for example that is just shy of a Benchmark Dac 3 in performance, and the Massdrop THX AAA Linear Amp which is the most powerful and lowest distortion amp in the world under $3000. The budget hifi scene is strongly pushing back against the niche uber expensive one, and in many cases is winning. I've got the Topping and THX with the LCD2C and quite honestly its close to end game for me. I'll of course audition other things as time goes by, but all of the faults you've described by lower quality sources and amps are not present in my chain now, and all the good things mentioned are. All I can say to people here is try that chain if they want to be wowed. I still like my asgard 2 and mimby with the 2C, but it is a bit boomy and bloated by comparison as well as being a bit grainy as you raise the volume as well. The Topping and THX are clean to the top and tight all the way down low irrespective of volume preference.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,894 of 7,334
You don't even really need to spend lots of money to get the absolute best form the 2C either as there are now budget sources and amps capable of bringing out everything in the 2C. Sources like the Topping D50 for example that is just shy of a Benchmark Dac 3 in performance, and the Massdrop THX AAA Linear Amp which is the most powerful and lowest distortion amp in the world under $3000. The budget hifi scene is strongly pushing back against the niche uber expensive one, and in many cases is winning. I've got the Topping and THX with the LCD2C and quite honestly its close to end game for me. I'll of course audition other things as time goes by, but all of the faults you've described by lower quality sources and amps are not present in my chain now, and all the good things mentioned are. All I can say to people here is try that chain if they want to be wowed. I still like my asgard 2 and mimby with the 2C, but it is a bit boomy and bloated by comparison as well as being a bit grainy as you raise the volume as well. The Topping and THX are clean to the top and tight all the way down low irrespective of volume preference.
Budget audio has improved a lot in the last 5 years.
You can get absolutely fantastic price to performance ratio for a good money.
But for the last 30-40% you still need to pay serious money. Whether it is worth it or not highly depends on buyer's preference and budget.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #3,895 of 7,334
Budget audio has improved a lot in the last 5 years.
You can get absolutely fantastic price to performance ratio for a good money.
But for the last 30-40% you still need to pay serious money. Whether it is worth it or not highly depends on buyer's preference and budget.

When I eventually pull the trigger on a Metrum Pavane level 3 and a Headamp GSX Mk 2 I'll let you know if I agree with you there. For now though I can't make a decision one way or another since I've simply not heard them yet :ksc75smile:

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #3,896 of 7,334
When I eventually pull the trigger on a Metrum Pavane level 3 and a Headamp GSX Mk 2 I'll let you know if I agree with you there. For now though I can't make a decision one way or another since I've simply not heard them yet :ksc75smile:
Once you upgrade you never go back.
Don't touch what you can't afford is my motto.
Once you experienced higher-end gear you'll never want to go back...
Dangerous hobby this is.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,897 of 7,334
Once you upgrade you never go back.
Don't touch what you can't afford is my motto.
Once you experienced higher-end gear you'll never want to go back...
Dangerous hobby this is.
Yea, I've already been down that road with home theater. Would probably have been better to just buy another house instead...

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #3,899 of 7,334
Dunno if this is the thread for this or if it is allowed :p

Was reading the discussion on the Hifiman Edition XX and came across this post:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...ctrostatic-system/talk/2199478?referer=VXARU4

Find it strange if this is true

Kelvin

Hmm, interesting

but I don't think this thread is the place for talk about drama between two companies that are both sponsors.

Back on topic:

I'm not sure if the LCD2C really needs that powerful of an amp, I've heard it sound incredible even being run out of an O2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back