Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #3,871 of 7,324
i'm going to have a listen to these tomorrow, alongside the focal clear.

i just sold my fostex ebony thx00..want something more refined sounding
and is versatile with many genres.
too bad my local retailer doesn't carry the zmf auteur too (i know only direct sales)
as i've heard plenty good things on them.
the massdrop HFM edition xx also interests me.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones/talk/2253269

problem is: i only have my chord mojo...so i know i'll have to update to a better separate dac/amp
in a few months too: prob looking at 3k there./used market.

so has anyone here compared the sq of zmf auteur, lcd2c and focal clear?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3,872 of 7,324
i'm going to have a listen to these tomorrow, alongside the focal clear.

i just sold my fostex ebony thx00..want something more refined sounding
and is versatile with many genres.
too bad my local retailer doesn't carry the zmf auteur too (i know only direct sales)
as i've heard plenty good things on them.
the massdrop HFM edition xx also interests me.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones/talk/2253269

problem is: i only have my chord mojo...so i know i'll have to update to a better separate dac/amp
in a few months too: prob looking at 3k there./used market.

so has anyone here compared the sq of zmf auteur, lcd2c and focal clear?
After auditioning the 2C and the Clear I bought the Clear. I liked both but found the Focal more impressive. That clarity and resolution is exceptional. However after a few weeks with them the intensity of the sound started to bother me. It is not a relaxing headphone, always sounds 'full on' so I got rid of it and bought the 2C.
The 2C does not have the clarity and resolution of the Clear but it has a 10/10 bass (while the Clear's bass was 9/10 to me). The 2C sounds big and dynamic while it still maintains some warmth and smoothness. Intense and relaxing at the same time. The Clear was just intense but not relaxing at all.
I heard good things about the Auteur too but never tried one.
To me the perfect bass is mission critical (deep extension, good sub-bass, clarity) and only planars can offer that. All of these three headphones are great, but dynamic drivers will never have the planar's flat bass extension down to 20Hz. With most music genres this is not really an issue but if you listen to a lot of ambient/electronic/modern music with a lot of deep and layered bass planar is the way to go.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,873 of 7,324
After auditioning the 2C and the Clear I bought the Clear. I liked both but found the Focal more impressive. That clarity and resolution is exceptional. However after a few weeks with them the intensity of the sound started to bother me. It is not a relaxing headphone, always sounds 'full on' so I got rid of it and bought the 2C.
The 2C does not have the clarity and resolution of the Clear but it has a 10/10 bass (while the Clear's bass was 9/10 to me). The 2C sounds big and dynamic while it still maintains some warmth and smoothness. Intense and relaxing at the same time. The Clear was just intense but not relaxing at all.
To me the perfect bass is mission critical (deep extension, good sub-bass, clarity) and only planars can offer that. All of these three headphones are great, but dynamic drivers will never have the planar's flat bass extension down to 20Hz. With most music genres this is not really an issue but if you listen to a lot of ambient/electronic/modern music with a lot of deep and layered bass planar is the way to go.
I came to the same conclusion about planar few times ago. Never get back to conventional headphones. LCD bass are just great no discussion but actually details are there (because planar are very fast), but not in your face (by definition details shouldn't be in your face).

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3,874 of 7,324

thank you for this, Betula.....i love clear and detailed sound (seems this is clear's position) while but also a smooth signature that doesn't gloss over details (so slightly warm)
...when at my local retailer i'll check out the clear, lcd2c and also hfm X.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,875 of 7,324
thank you for this, Betula.....i love clear and detailed sound (seems this is clear's position) while also a smooth signature (slightly warm)
...when at my local retailer i'll check out the clear, lcd2c and also hfm X.
Make sure you share your findings. :) I'd like to hear how the edition X compares to the 2C in your opinion.
I tried both the Clear and 2C with Mojo and while Mojo does a decent job with them they both benefit from more powerful desktop amps. The 2C maybe even more. If you have a chance at the shop try them from a full sized amp as well, not just the Mojo.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #3,878 of 7,324
Brief but quite good review of the 2C with some comparison to other LCD2 versions.
Red the review. I don't completely agree with his comparaison with the old LCD2. While being close, there are few differences. The old LCD2 goes lower in the sub and the rev2 goes higher, so the LCD2C is more mid centric. In the other hand the LCD2C is faster than the old LCD2 which is is a bit slower and softer. In my opinion the old LCD2 is less fatiguing on long sessions.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,880 of 7,324
I see people here thinking about the Auteur.. I read a review that said it basically sounds the same as an HE-500. I tend to agree with that.

I love how big the LCD-2C sounds. I also find it great for gaming.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #3,881 of 7,324
I have swapped the LCD-2 Earpads with Dekoni Elite Velour and the end result indeed turned out to my liking, as measurements and impressions of others proved. I don't need to use the reveal plugin anymore and it's overall less hazy as well.
Everything is more lively and open/clear in general (voices have more breathing room, upper mids are "back") in comparison to the original pads. The headphone is still dark but the treble curve doesn't have those pits anymore making it more natural.
This great headphone just got magnificient. Yes there's a very slight loss of "concentrated" bass energy but the bass is less boxed in now which is a worthwhile tradeoff for me. @bagwell359 You should try the LCD-2C again with these pads if you can. Curious to see what
you'd think.

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #3,882 of 7,324
I have swapped the LCD-2 Earpads with Dekoni Elite Velour and the end result indeed turned out to my liking, as measurements and impressions of others proved. I don't need to use the reveal plugin anymore and it's overall less hazy as well.
Everything is more lively and open/clear in general (voices have more breathing room, upper mids are "back") in comparison to the original pads. The headphone is still dark but the treble curve doesn't have those pits anymore making it more natural.
This great headphone just got magnificient. Yes there's a very slight loss of "concentrated" bass energy but the bass is less boxed in now which is a worthwhile tradeoff for me. @bagwell359 You should try the LCD-2C again with these pads if you can. Curious to see what
you'd think.

Sure. I'm up for it. Few folks in the Ether 2 and HFM 560 threads might want to try it too.

BTW, PM me if you have any new thoughts on that other HFM can we've been talking about.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,883 of 7,324
you'd think.
Interesting. I’m always down for pad rolling. How difficult was it to remove the stock pads as my understanding is they're glued on.
I haven’t even looked at the stock pads at this time to start rolling so I’m in the dark on this one even though I’ve always been an out of control pad roller.
My experience with the M1060 way back when, their pads were also glued on and I ruined them taking off. Pi$$ed me off TBH.
When you swapped out pads on the classics, any trick removing them (not to ruin them) and to save them for future rolling and comparison?

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #3,884 of 7,324
It's not difficult, but like you I'm very careful with this stuff so I asked those who performed pad changes, like I did with @chimney189
Following his advice all I did was press pressing the pad together were you want to lift it while at the same time pulling the pad from the adhesive. Careful and slowly. That way you don't tear it apart.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #3,885 of 7,324
you'd think.

I've been thinking of getting a set myself and now would be the time.

I ordered the Velour but I was wondering how the hybrid Dekoni pads sound on the 2C?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back