Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #361 of 7,334
Sigh. Cat broke a tooth last night. Looks like it's going to be a grand after surgery. Guess I'll be waiting to take a dive on some LCD's. Look forward to hearing everyone's impressions.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #363 of 7,334
My order has been processed and is waiting to ship, so I’m hopeful we will get them for the holidays.

They could very well sound different than the original, but I have no way of knowing cause I’ve never heard the original. Ignorance is bliss?

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #364 of 7,334
That sounds brilliant (excuse the pun). What’s the name of the box? I’d love to try this on my AVR (let’s just say AVR headphone jacks aren’t the world’s best).

Hi.. I built it myself. The schematic is super simple and available via google search. You have to play around with the resistor values though to get the noise floor/gain just right for your amp/headphone combo

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #365 of 7,334
I don’t mean to derail the conversation, but why did you decide to keep both headphones, and what do you use each for?

no prob. Sorry it took so long to reply. I had the Audeze LCD-2 Aluminum, but, at first just couldn't deal with the weight, and it did not have quite the sound signature I was after. Eventually I got used to the weight, and decided to upgrade to an LCD-X. Perfect headphone. Well almost perfect. Love the sound signature and it goes so so well with tube amplification.

I also really like the sound of the HE-560. When I am in the mood for something a bit more 'spicy' or 'lively. Not to mention I was able to get a brand new unopened pair for under $500. I could not pass that up at the time. At this point, if people are looking for a headphone under $1000 and have enough amp to drive them, I like to recommend the HE-560. But thats just me. There are others I am sure that would recommend the LCD-2. Actually this is the second pair of HE-560 I have owned. I kicked myself in the rear for selling the first pair. I just really have a thing for the sound signature with a lot of material, and with tube rolling (I have several hundred 12AX7, 12AU7, 6SN7) you can really dial in the sound signature and the HE-560 can be downright stunning for the price.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #366 of 7,334
placebo is strong in his statement

not exactly. the HE-560 is a power monger. Not like the HE-6, but It needs quite a bit. I initially went that way because my current amp could not drive it without distortion. Trust me, distortion is NOT the placebo effect.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #368 of 7,334
not exactly. the HE-560 is a power monger. Not like the HE-6, but It needs quite a bit. I initially went that way because my current amp could not drive it without distortion. Trust me, distortion is NOT the placebo effect.
Does the LCD-X have that same dark sound signature the LCD-2 is known for? Or how does it compare?

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #370 of 7,334
I own both the 660S and LCD-2 Pre-fazor.
The 660S is more forward with its upper mid-range and has a smoother, more refined treble. The treble has more quantity as well.
Another user stated that the 660S seems sharpened, and I'd have to agree with that. Please do not confuse this description with harshness, sibilance or stridency -- The 660S has none of these in my experience.
That bass is all about quality rather than quantity, as it is mainly there to assist the rest of the music so it is more cohesive rather than it being a stand-out.
The soundstage is more about being wide than anything else, so there is a lack of depth that I feel keeps this headphone from being closer in the top-tier category rather than the mid-tier.

With that said I don't think I'd ever pick a 660S over an LCD-2.
I think they are great compliments to each other though. :ksc75smile:

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #371 of 7,334
Mildly interested as I yearn for the Audez'e sound of yesteryear. However, I simply don't believe they have their QC up to par still.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #372 of 7,334
Email from Audeze today states these will definitely ship before Christmas and they say sooner than expected.

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #373 of 7,334
The HD 800 had to go. Put my order in! Looking forward to hearing how these compare to my previous LCDs.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #374 of 7,334
The HD 800 had to go. Put my order in! Looking forward to hearing how these compare to my previous LCDs.
Are you guys pre-ordering from Audeze directly or another retailer, i.e. Moon Audio?

Another concern is the impedance of 70ohms on the updated spec as compared to the original spec of 20 ohms when first announced. Isn't that the same as the Fazor 2016? Wonder if anyone has the LCD 2 F and is willing to take a chance on the LCD2C. I have a strange feeling it's very close in signature that does not make too much of a difference. But $600 is pretty decent. What do you all think?

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #375 of 7,334
Are you guys pre-ordering from Audeze directly or another retailer, i.e. Moon Audio?

Another concern is the impedance of 70ohms on the updated spec as compared to the original spec of 20 ohms when first announced. Isn't that the same as the Fazor 2016? Wonder if anyone has the LCD 2 F and is willing to take a chance on the LCD2C. I have a strange feeling it's very close in signature that does not make too much of a difference. But $600 is pretty decent. What do you all think?

I'm located in Canada, so there is no dealer that has these advertised for pre-order. In US, there's a few dealers that have these available to order. However, ordering from Audeze directly will be the fastest way to get them. I ordered directly from Audeze's website.

The drivers on the LCD-2C are not the original drivers from 2010 or 2011 or whatever (rev 1 or rev 2). They are in fact the updated 2016 drivers without the fazors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back