Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #331 of 7,334
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #332 of 7,334
still funny so see in the comments where people ask them why are they selling it right after they got it. I wonder why... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold-zmf-atticus-camphor.860759/
The problem with niche headphones like the ZMFs is that there’s so few of them to actually audition, so most people are buying off reputation or reviews. You can only guesstimate if a headphone will suit your taste by reviews, and for a TOTL headphone, if it’s not ideal, you have to sell and move on while it’s new. I don’t know of anyone in my country (South Africa) that has heard and actual Atticus (or Eikon), and yet the Atticus is the only candidate on my list to replace my Fostex TH-X00 should I decide to sell it. I know I love my Fostex, but I can only go on reviews and subjective opinions as to whether or not the Atticus can adequately replace it. No doubt it’s a better, bigger, more refined headphone, but that doesn’t always mean it can deliver the same magic you’re used to from a particular pair of headphones you already use and know.

PS. As for the Teak vs Eikon comment, I can somewhat understand that, given how much more bass emphasis/quantity the Teak has vs the (based on reviews) more neutral Eikon. That’s why I bought an LCD-2 as a complement rather than replacement to my Fostex, and likewise would consider the Atticus a complement to the LCD-2. If I bought an Eikon it would likely overlap or replace the LCD-2, and frankly, nothing is going to replace my LCD-2.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #333 of 7,334
@gLer Exactly. Some dude on reddit was adamantly insisting that I audition the Atticus and look at other headphones rather than the LCD-2C, and I'm like....where? Where do I go? It's impossible to audition them without first buying online, paying for shipping, and having to return or re-sell them, often at a loss to you.

The LCD series has many fans, reviews, and impressions already, so doing a little research isn't as difficult, and purchasing without auditioning is a bit more safe.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #334 of 7,334
@gLer Exactly. Some dude on reddit was adamantly insisting that I audition the Atticus and look at other headphones rather than the LCD-2C, and I'm like....where? Where do I go? It's impossible to audition them without first buying online, paying for shipping, and having to return or re-sell them, often at a loss to you.

The LCD series has many fans, reviews, and impressions already, so doing a little research isn't as difficult, and purchasing without auditioning is a bit more safe.
Yes, that’s exactly why I ‘invested’ in the LCD-2, because at this level, for me, it’s an investment. Unlike he lucky folks in the US that can test almost anything and return and swap between headphones without penalty, once I buy, it’s a mission to sell - or even return for repair. So it’s a real commitment.

Fortunately I managed to listen to the LCD-2 and LCD-3 before buying, so I knew what was coming - although I took a chance that the latest LCD-2F would better suit my taste than the pre-fazor or LCD-2C I had every intention of buying (and it does). As for Atticus, it’s more of an unknown, but seems to tick all the boxes I like as a complement for the LCD - bigger bass, lush mids, rolled off highs. Zach has a particular taste and sound, and it’s not for everyone.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #335 of 7,334
One also needs to consider synergy and versatility. The LCD range will, for the most part, sound pretty good on most setups. The ZMF on the other hand - Atticus in particular - is "notorious" for needing to be carefully matched, especially in terms of amps. So one can purchase an LCD with likely less chance of it sounding bad; whereas the Atticus may not work well in one's particular system but shine on another with a totally different chain of gear.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #336 of 7,334
One also needs to consider synergy and versatility. The LCD range will, for the most part, sound pretty good on most setups. The ZMF on the other hand - Atticus in particular - is "notorious" for needing to be carefully matched, especially in terms of amps. So one can purchase an LCD with likely less chance of it sounding bad; whereas the Atticus may not work well in one's particular system but shine on another with a totally different chain of gear.
That is a very, very good point. The last thing I want is three amps to drive three different headphones for different songs at different times. Some folks love that sort of mix-and-match. Not I.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #338 of 7,334
I'm really torn between the LCD2C's or Sennheiser HD660S. Currently have HD650's and EMU Teaks, and 9 times out of 10 find myself reaching for the Teaks.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #339 of 7,334
I'm really torn between the LCD2C's or Sennheiser HD660S. Currently have HD650's and EMU Teaks, and 9 times out of 10 find myself reaching for the Teaks.
If you already have the 650s, I would suggest the LCDs (either 2F or 2C). The 660s won’t give you that much more than the 650s, but the LCDs will give you a very different sound and more options than your current headphones. It will extend and complement the 650s, and contrast nicely with the Teaks. Just my 0.02.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #340 of 7,334
If you already have the 650s, I would suggest the LCDs (either 2F or 2C). The 660s won’t give you that much more than the 650s, but the LCDs will give you a very different sound and more options than your current headphones. It will extend and complement the 650s, and contrast nicely with the Teaks. Just my 0.02.

If I grabbed the 660S I'd sell the 650's, but I was leaning towards the LCD's. Just wasn't sure how they'd compare to the Teaks, if they'd be too similar or would be complementary instead. Obviously much of this is personal preference, and I'm still by and large a noob in this hobby, but I'm waiting with everyone else who signed up to hear from Audeze about these preorders.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #341 of 7,334
If I grabbed the 660S I'd sell the 650's, but I was leaning towards the LCD's. Just wasn't sure how they'd compare to the Teaks, if they'd be too similar or would be complementary instead. Obviously much of this is personal preference, and I'm still by and large a noob in this hobby, but I'm waiting with everyone else who signed up to hear from Audeze about these preorders.
I can only tell you from my own experience how complementary the LCD-2F's are to the Fostex. LCDs are super detailed, warmish with nicely rolled off highs, and so laid back and lush (and I believe the LCD-2C will be similar, maybe a bit warmer and darker). Fostex (and Teak) are dynamic, fun, with big, beautiful bass (bigger than the LCD) and more strident highs as well. I used the Fostex for daily listening, especially at lower volumes where the bass heft sill came through nicely. I use the LCDs for longer sessions, and with genres that the Fostex sometimes "struggles" with (classic rock, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and so on). If you love the 650s, the 660S might give you most of what the LCD will and a bit more than the 650, and also contrast nicely with the Teaks.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #342 of 7,334
The problem with niche headphones like the ZMFs is that there’s so few of them to actually audition, so most people are buying off reputation or reviews. You can only guesstimate if a headphone will suit your taste by reviews, and for a TOTL headphone, if it’s not ideal, you have to sell and move on while it’s new. I don’t know of anyone in my country (South Africa) that has heard and actual Atticus (or Eikon), and yet the Atticus is the only candidate on my list to replace my Fostex TH-X00 should I decide to sell it. I know I love my Fostex, but I can only go on reviews and subjective opinions as to whether or not the Atticus can adequately replace it. No doubt it’s a better, bigger, more refined headphone, but that doesn’t always mean it can deliver the same magic you’re used to from a particular pair of headphones you already use and know.

PS. As for the Teak vs Eikon comment, I can somewhat understand that, given how much more bass emphasis/quantity the Teak has vs the (based on reviews) more neutral Eikon. That’s why I bought an LCD-2 as a complement rather than replacement to my Fostex, and likewise would consider the Atticus a complement to the LCD-2. If I bought an Eikon it would likely overlap or replace the LCD-2, and frankly, nothing is going to replace my LCD-2.

This was my issue. According to all the impressions and reviews, the Atticus sounded like my ideal headphone, and it almost was. Except the bass was underwhelming... Since I'm the seller of that listing, I can clarify why. To me, the bass was all impact, but little extension and rumble from the sub-bass. It can hit hard, but since it's focused around 115hz, it largely depended on the recording. The bass overall feels pretty neutral, despite sounding pretty thick. I've upgraded to the Sony MDR-Z1R, and it's capable of hitting just as hard, without losing any sub-bass presence. Not to mention, it's ridiculously easy to drive.

I don't know why everyone recommends the Atticus for electronic music when that genre relies heavily on sub-bass. As a basshead, I would recommend sticking with Fostex. Even the LCD-2C is a better option since it has that good planar extension and rumble. It might be too smooth on the top end though, unless that's what you want.

Edit: If you want Fostex bass without the strident highs, just buy one with Ebony cups. Preferably the ones by EMU.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #343 of 7,334
I can only tell you from my own experience how complementary the LCD-2F's are to the Fostex. LCDs are super detailed, warmish with nicely rolled off highs, and so laid back and lush (and I believe the LCD-2C will be similar, maybe a bit warmer and darker). Fostex (and Teak) are dynamic, fun, with big, beautiful bass (bigger than the LCD) and more strident highs as well. I used the Fostex for daily listening, especially at lower volumes where the bass heft sill came through nicely. I use the LCDs for longer sessions, and with genres that the Fostex sometimes "struggles" with (classic rock, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and so on). If you love the 650s, the 660S might give you most of what the LCD will and a bit more than the 650, and also contrast nicely with the Teaks.

Well, that's the thing, I don't love the 650's, that's why I find myself using the Teaks for about 95% of my listening (which consists primarily of metal, rock, and classical). Hope was that the 660S would be enough of an "improvement" over the 650's to warrant the purchase but it sounds like the LCD's are more likely to suit my tastes.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #344 of 7,334
Well, that's the thing, I don't love the 650's, that's why I find myself using the Teaks for about 95% of my listening (which consists primarily of metal, rock, and classical). Hope was that the 660S would be enough of an "improvement" over the 650's to warrant the purchase but it sounds like the LCD's are more likely to suit my tastes.
What specifically don't you like about them? For the record, I've been underwhelmed every time I've tried them myself, but would be interested to hear your reasons. For me the LCD-2 is everything everyone says about the 650 but done better (as it should for more than twice the price).

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #345 of 7,334
What specifically don't you like about them? For the record, I've been underwhelmed every time I've tried them myself, but would be interested to hear your reasons. For me the LCD-2 is everything everyone says about the 650 but done better (as it should for more than twice the price).

I just find them, like you said, underwhelming. The slight bit of extra separation/resolution I get (for example, more easily picking out the sounds of fingers sliding down the frets on a guitar) vs the teaks isn't worth losing the teak's bass/low end fullness to me. The 650's instruments sound a little muffled, maybe distant is a better word, what with the mids/vocals being more forward. Again, I'm still by and large just a noob at this, so I may not be using the proper nomenclature.

I hope we hear something soon about these LCD's. If we haven't gotten any more info by Black Friday I'm likely to splurge on something else instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back