Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,211 of 7,334
Sure it can. Though if you mean any full sized $500+ headphone then you are probably correct.

First I’ll say I’m not trying to come across argumentative but I’m not able to agree with the statement the Mojo can’t do that job. There are a few headphones that are in fact difficult to drive and some amps/dacs that are on the anemic side but the Mojo is not anemic on power or warmth. I can see based on some preferences there can be some voices that won’t agree with my opinion but my reference is only roughly 50 display headphones from a variety of brands and several electronics brand manufactures in our headphone bar along with 100’s of companies bringing their new products to us for review, engineering advice, market options and I’ve lost count of all the trade shows. So I rate my exposure to comparisons at about medium. I of course don’t have the time Jude has or Tyll had since my scope of responsibilities are not limited to the headgear genre.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,213 of 7,334
Simply not true; Why should this be in any way related to the price of the headphones?
That amp in the mojo is just not capable enough to drive full-size headphones. Period.

Higher end headphones perform well enough to benefit from higher end amps and DACs, while sub $200 ones don't scale nearly as well. My Sennheiser HD 598 Cs and every Monoprice full sized headphone I've used sound exactly the same out of the Mojo and Hugo 2, while my more demanding headphones do not.

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,214 of 7,334
Simply not true; Why should this be in any way related to the price of the headphones?
That amp in the mojo is just not capable enough to drive full-size headphones. Period.

If what I'm hearing with my lcd2c's and my Mojo is not driving the lcd2c's to their full potential then I'm super excited to hear what they will sound like with a dedicated amp. Because what I'm hearing coming out of these cans is damn nice sounding on all fronts.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,215 of 7,334
If what I'm hearing with my lcd2c's and my Mojo is not driving the lcd2c's to their full potential then I'm super excited to hear what they will sound like with a dedicated amp. Because what I'm hearing coming out of these cans is damn nice sounding on all fronts.

That’s what audio is all about, being happy until you find gear that sounds better. Just because something is better doesn’t mean you should be unhappy with what you already have. A lot of people are happy with earbuds and telephones, yet they have a long way to walk and find better gear and better sound. I use mojo only as a Dac and Rupert Neve’s RNHP as an amplifier, and it really takes lcd2c to another level.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,218 of 7,334

What you're saying is 100% incorrect. The Mojo can run KEF LS50 speakers and sound great. Right now it's powering my LCD-X's, and the only thing I can find wrong with it is that it doesn't sound as good as something 5x as expensive.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3,219 of 7,334
What you're saying is 100% incorrect. The Mojo can run KEF LS50 speakers and sound great. Right now it's powering my LCD-X's, and the only thing I can find wrong with it is that it doesn't sound as good as something 5x as expensive.

Mojo is not a power amplifier. You can't use it to drive speakers. You can use it as a dac between your source and your power amp.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,222 of 7,334
You can use any headphone amp to drive speakers, but you're not going to drive them well.

The problem is - unless you have extremely easy to drive speakers like horns with specialty high efficiency, low moving mass drivers - you need a speaker amp.

The LS50 certainly needs a gutsy, smooth amp with good power reserves to fill a room. Kef gives the woofer 200W and the tweeter 30W in the wireless version.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,223 of 7,334
Mojo offers exceptional sound quality and driving abilities for its price. Even for twice its price. Above that with better (and more expensive) gear it is easier to hear Mojo's shortcomings. Still has the strengths of Chord DACs (soundstage depth, clarity) but a good quality full size amp will sound fuller with more meat on the bass, and better treble extension. A full size amp adds more body to the sound. For most people this is a 'better' sound, but does not mean Mojo is unable to drive the 2C in our case. Mojo drives the 2C to a pleasing level and you will only hear what you are missing if you look at more expensive desktop gear. (2-3x Mojo price.)

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #3,224 of 7,334
You are in love with your MOJO; I get it.
I just haven't found anything better yet that sounds similar at the same price level.
You can use any headphone amp to drive speakers, but you're not going to drive them well.

The problem is - unless you have extremely easy to drive speakers like horns with specialty high efficiency, low moving mass drivers - you need a speaker amp.

The LS50 certainly needs a gutsy, smooth amp with good power reserves to fill a room. Kef gives the woofer 200W and the tweeter 30W in the wireless version.

We switched to an Arcam FMJ DAC & Amp after trying the Mojo out on LS50.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,225 of 7,334
I just haven't found anything better yet that sounds similar at the same price level.

We switched to an Arcam FMJ DAC & Amp after trying the Mojo out on LS50.
That's probably because you have not tried anything like the Schiit Lyr 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back