Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,241 of 7,334
It’s good to disagree, but the LCD-X still sounds miles better than the 2c on any amp. How is Mojo veiled?

Think he is referring to the Mojo having too little power for the less efficient LCD-2C. The X is easier to drive.

With that said th LCD-2s are all inherently veiled. All LCD models are due to upper mid or lower treble dips.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #3,242 of 7,334
It’s good to disagree, but the LCD-X still sounds miles better than the 2c on any amp.
There are many people that disagree. That there is not enough of a difference and the dryness and roloff in the Highs are still present in the x as well as the bass has less oomph. While the highs might be a bit more detailed it still had the same characteristics as the lcd2c has. The Lcd3 on the other hand are quite different. Now where the x are better are they are more efficient.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #3,243 of 7,334
I heard people saying they actually prefer the 2C out of any other Audeze headphones (including the X and the LCD4). I can't comment on that, but I can confirm the 2C scales very well with higher class amping and DAC. Under £1000 (and for £509 what I paid for my new pair) simply nothing comes close. I can see why some people say the 2C is veiled: with cheaper amping they might be too dark/warm. With higher quality amps though the perceived veil gets lifted and the sound becomes much cleaner and clearer. This bass is better than many +£1000 headphones.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #3,244 of 7,334
I heard people saying they actually prefer the 2C out of any other Audeze headphones (including the X and the LCD4). I can't comment on that, but I can confirm the 2C scales very well with higher class amping and DAC. Under £1000 (and for £509 what I paid for my new pair) simply nothing comes close. I can see why some people say the 2C is veiled: with cheaper amping they might be too dark/warm. With higher quality amps though the perceived veil gets lifted and the sound becomes much cleaner and clearer. This bass is better than many +£1000 headphones.

Really good answer. I’ve tried the X with some great amping, and it definately clears things up. I was looking to either replace the mojo entirely, or get a dedicated amp for it — what would you suggest, and what amp goes best with Audeze?

And also I’m confused about everyone bashing the Mojo - it’s a great DAC for what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #3,245 of 7,334
Really good answer. I’ve tried the X with some great amping, and it definately clears things up. I was looking to either replace the mojo entirely, or get a dedicated amp for it — what would you suggest, and what amp goes best with Audeze?

And also I’m confused about everyone bashing the Mojo - it’s a great DAC for what it is.
Mojo is great for what it is, but it is not the most ideal for desktop use.
IMO Chord DACs are exceptional (clean, clear, tight, 3 dimensional, natural sound), that's why I own a Chord DAC. Amp-wise however the Mojo/Hugo are a bit too polite. I am very happy with my 2Qute paired up with my CMA600i. I am pretty sure there are other similarly satisfying combos for the 2C but I haven't tried too many so can't really suggest other amps with similar qualities.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,246 of 7,334

My two cents, I'm no audio expert, I purchased my Lcd-2c from addicted to audio in East Perth, and also purchased schiit magni 3 to drive them. Ye overall sound was a great combo.
Then I thought I would try the Audio Gd NFB11. 28, I was blown away by the difference, I'm hearing details I never heard in songs before just with a tidal subscription at this stage. Hope that helps anyway
Regards Steve

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,247 of 7,334
It’s good to disagree, but the LCD-X still sounds miles better than the 2c on any amp. How is Mojo veiled?
Mojo is not a technical dac. But it is more pleasant than Hugo.

In my case, it is not that I bash the Mojo. It's just that it is one of the most overrated products in head-fi. Look around what some people say about it; some even said it beat much better-classed dacs. I'm just bringing it back down to reality. I do wonder, without John/Rob's marketing talks and all these hyped reviews, would people still think the same way about the Mojo?

I fell for the hype. Bought it. Really wanted to like it. Actually liked it. But nowhere close to its hype. Since I'm not a portable guy (I bought it coz I heard it bests dacs 5x its price), I just sold it real quickly. For desktop users, just get a real desktop dac and amp.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,248 of 7,334
I tried and hated the X. Bass is clean and feels more open (airy) than LCD-2C, but treble was really bothering me. Worst LCD for me. I don't see a reason to buy X now that we have 2C. But that's me.

I tried LCD-4 quite a while ago. I really liked it, but overpriced for what it is.

Regarding LCD-2C's veil, it is a relative thing. I mean, I don't consider the 2C as a technical powerhouse (except for the bass), like the HD800 or TH900 for example. LCD-2C is like a chick who even though she isn't the most beautiful in the class, but she is cute, interesting, and fun. And she got really great legs (bass). Technicalities (resolution, soundstage, bla bla) are of course nice to have,. But I like LCD-2C too. Do you remember what LCD 2 pre-fazor was like? No way it was a technical headphone, but how many people enjoyed listening to vocal and bass from it? I guess it's got its charm.

And for $800, build quality is amazing in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #3,249 of 7,334
In my case, it is not that I bash the Mojo. It's just that it is one of the most overrated products in head-fi. Look around what some people say about it; some even said it beat much better-classed dacs. I'm just bringing it back down to reality. I do wonder, without John/Rob's marketing talks and all these hyped reviews, would people still think the same way about the Mojo?

I fell for the hype. Bought it. Actually liked it. But nowhere close to its hype.
Mojo offered exceptional portable sound in 2015 when it was released. Put to shame many similarly priced desktop setups too. Mojo is still one of the best portable DAC/amps for the price, but the competition is slowly catching up. (With different strengths and technologies but rivalling in quality.)
For its price (£379) Mojo is still a very good option. However if you want your LCD2C to shine and sound really authoritive, you will need something more serious.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3,250 of 7,334
I really like the 2c on my Mojo. The next phase of my journey is to try the 2c with the Deckard as the amp and the Mojo line-in as just the Dac.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,251 of 7,334
I really don’t like the sound of Schiit products. Burson amps sound great with Mojo though. Have my eye on the iFi Pro iDSD, but that’s super expense :)
Look, I own a Burson CV2+ and I love it for planars. Basically I am a Burson fan.

But have you tried the Lyr 3? Although I tried it in an audio meet, I thought it sounded pretty darn good, especially for the price. Much better than Lyr 2.

I really like the 2c on my Mojo. The next phase of my journey is to try the 2c with the Deckard as the amp and the Mojo line-in as just the Dac.
Buddy....why do you choose these sub-tier products? Tell me...why the Deckard, out of all the available amps in the market?

The market is flowing with good inexpensive products: Lyr 3, Gillmore Lite, Massdrop LCD-X, Massdrop Eddie Current ZDT Jr, etc. Pick your poison. Even that $100 Magni would be a better choice than Deckard.

I'm just trying to give an advice. But it is your wallet. Avoid Audeze amps at all costs.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #3,252 of 7,334

True about the bass but in reality the LCD-2C will always be veiled compared to something like a Focal Clear or Sennheiser HD 800. It's a headphone characteristic inherent in the upper mids or lower treble response (dips), present in every single LCD model. It's Audeze's intented sound and no amp will change that.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,253 of 7,334
True about the bass but in reality the LCD-2C will always be veiled compared to something like a Focal Clear or Sennheiser HD 800. It's a headphone characteristic inherent in the upper mids or lower treble response (dips), present in every single LCD model. It's Audeze's intented sound and no amp will change that.
Are you suggesting amps can´t equalize a headphone? I feel they are perfectly able to colour the sound. I have the LCD-2 rev 2 and the Focal Elear neither seem to be as treble happy as the HD 800. But that is from memory. Both are bass happy headphones but they certainly don´t sound the same. My LCD-2 shine on my 20$ yamaha budget rs 440-receiver from the speaker taps and my elear shines on my tube amp so all is good just the conundrum what to listen to. My LCD-2 sound better from more amps though then the elear which is like not worth the price at all then on the tube OMG :D

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,254 of 7,334
Are you suggesting amps can´t equalize a headphone? I feel they are perfectly able to colour the sound. I have the LCD-2 rev 2 and the Focal Elear neither seem to be as treble happy as the HD 800. But that is from memory. Both are bass happy headphones but they certainly don´t sound the same. My LCD-2 shine on my 20$ yamaha budget rs 440-receiver from the speaker taps and my elear shines on my tube amp so all is good just the conundrum what to listen to. My LCD-2 sound better from more amps though then the elear which is like not worth the price at all then on the tube OMG :D

The Focal Elear is quite unlike the Clear FYI.

Amps can affect the sound of course, but you'd need significant EQ to change the veiling character to the point where you end up making a distorted mess... that still has the veil to some degree.

I experimented quite a bit with parametric EQ with the LCD-4 which is less veiled than the 2 and 3.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,255 of 7,334
True, but with good amping I wouldn't call the LCD2C veiled. The Clear and the HD800 were too bright for me. Their treble was not friendly to my ears. I need that Audeze warmth and darkness. To me the 2C is not veiled but smooth. Much prefer the sound to Focal or Sennheiser. More enjoyable to me and easier on my ears. Even though I might loose some final detail and clarity compared to something like the Clear (which I owned). The world would be boring if we all loved the same headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back