Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,846 of 7,334
Ok so long story short, the LCD-2C is a match made in heaven with the R2R-11 but I don't really like the Atticus with the R2R-11. But the Atticus and the Hugo 2 is a very good pairing. The Hugo 2 help the Atticus by reducing the mid-bass and adding a little bit more treble sparkle up top. With the R2R-11, the Atticus tend to sound muddy and way too much mid-bassy for my tastes.

The Hugo 2 is also a very good match with the LCD-2C but the R2R-11 is not far behind. The sound signature of the Hugo 2 is slightly leaner and less lush in the midrange than the R2R-11 and I tend to prefer the vocals and the electric guitars with the R2R-11 and the LCD-2C. For the treble, the Hugo 2 has a little bit more air and details than the R2R-11. SQ wise, the Hugo 2 is definitely not $2000 better than the R2R-11 when you compare the 2 devices side by side.

Overall, I'm still blown away every time I put the LCD-2C on my head to the point where I'm now starting to think that maybe they made a mistake and installed the LCD-4 drivers inside of my pair. :wink:

26005972658_1495949677_b.jpg
Nice impression. LCD-2C is definitely matched perfectly with the R2R-11. I'm surprised you don't like the Atticus with the R2R-11. My Eikons match very well and there are TONS of detail and separation with the R2R-11. But then again, the Eikons pair better with most solid-states compared to the Atticus.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,847 of 7,334
Ok so long story short, the LCD-2C is a match made in heaven with the R2R-11 but I don't really like the Atticus with the R2R-11. But the Atticus and the Hugo 2 is a very good pairing. The Hugo 2 help the Atticus by reducing the mid-bass and adding a little bit more treble sparkle up top. With the R2R-11, the Atticus tend to sound muddy and way too much mid-bassy for my tastes.

The Hugo 2 is also a very good match with the LCD-2C but the R2R-11 is not far behind. The sound signature of the Hugo 2 is slightly leaner and less lush in the midrange than the R2R-11 and I tend to prefer the vocals and the electric guitars with the R2R-11 and the LCD-2C. For the treble, the Hugo 2 has a little bit more air and details than the R2R-11. SQ wise, the Hugo 2 is definitely not $2000 better than the R2R-11 when you compare the 2 devices side by side.

Overall, I'm still blown away every time I put the LCD-2C on my head to the point where I'm now starting to think that maybe they made a mistake and installed the LCD-4 drivers inside of my pair. :wink:

26005972658_1495949677_b.jpg
Thanks for much for your impressions. Really appreciate it. By the way, did you try the R2R-11 with the ‘warm’ jumpers, and if so, any difference in sound to your ears? Also I’m thinking the slight warmth of the R2R-11 that you’re describing will be an even better match for the slightly more neutral LCD-2F (2016, so the same drivers as the 2C but with fazors), with more detail up top and a forming up of the bass and mids.

As for the Atticus, I didn’t expect the R2R to suit it, but it would be great to know how the Atticus works with the R2R as a dac only, connected to an amp the Atticus likes (like a Woo OTL for example).

Thanks again for your insight!

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,848 of 7,334
Nice impression. LCD-2C is definitely matched perfectly with the R2R-11. I'm surprised you don't like the Atticus with the R2R-11. My Eikons match very well and there are TONS of detail and separation with the R2R-11. But then again, the Eikons pair better with most solid-states compared to the Atticus.
I’ve been wondering why that is myself. I actually find the Atticus to have LESS bass with my solid state Matrix balanced amp than with the SE Woo OTL, which brings back the slam. Could just be a synergy thing.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,849 of 7,334

The Atticus are more picky with amps than the Eikon. And for having heard the Eikon, I'm not surprise that it's a good match with the R2R-11.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,850 of 7,334
Thanks for much for your impressions. Really appreciate it. By the way, did you try the R2R-11 with the ‘warm’ jumpers, and if so, any difference in sound to your ears? Also I’m thinking the slight warmth of the R2R-11 that you’re describing will be an even better match for the slightly more neutral LCD-2F (2016, so the same drivers as the 2C but with fazors), with more detail up top and a forming up of the bass and mids.

As for the Atticus, I didn’t expect the R2R to suit it, but it would be great to know how the Atticus works with the R2R as a dac only, connected to an amp the Atticus likes (like a Woo OTL for example).

No I have not tried the warm jumpers yet. But I'm not sure that I want to play with the jumpers because the sound is quite good with the default settings.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,851 of 7,334
No I have not tried the warm jumpers yet. But I'm not sure that I want to play with the jumpers because the sound is perfect by default.

I don't have an OTL tube amp with me but I just tried the Atticus with the Lyr 2 and the R2R-11 DAC and they sound more alive than just straight from the R2R-11. I'm quite happy with the pairing of the Lyr 2 and the Atticus.
Don't use the jumpers, they make everything sound muddy.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,852 of 7,334
LCD cables work on the eikon right ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back