Audeze LCD-24 LIMITED EDITION - now including impressions and comparisons
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #122 of 153
Can someone compare this to he1000se ?
While I have not yet heard the 24, I have heard the 4/4z. They are very different sounds. The HEK SE are light, airy and more neutral sounding. They have excellent imaging and maybe a touch bright. The 4/4z at least are a lot more meaty, with more bass impact and great bass detail. They are darker sounding with a more full sounding midrange.

It just depends on which sound you prefer. Some have both in their collection as they tend to be complementary cans.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #125 of 153
Oppdate...i did not dare to buy lcd 24...becouse of you people....maybe for the better...i dont know?
good job, it’s a waste of money when the lcd 5 is just around the corner

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #126 of 153
While I have not yet heard the 24, I have heard the 4/4z. They are very different sounds. The HEK SE are light, airy and more neutral sounding. They have excellent imaging and maybe a touch bright. The 4/4z at least are a lot more meaty, with more bass impact and great bass detail. They are darker sounding with a more full sounding midrange.

It just depends on which sound you prefer. Some have both in their collection as they tend to be complementary cans.

I basically fixed the bass / treble to meet my preferred response (which is like the i4 at 80% Reveal) by using the following EQ: +1.2 DB in a smooth curve under 1k. -1.2 DB in a smooth curve over 1k. The sound stage still sounds great to me, very wide. Attached is a picture of the EQ. I don't have time to post any particular technicalities atm but this worked very well and essentially solved my issue with the low bass. I did this in Ozone 7 with mixbus on OSX. I picked up a PowerDAC V2 from E1DA and I'll use this to replicate the curve for portability. The PowerDACV2 should be more than powerful enough to drive this.

I'm happy with the result! I haven't heard the 4z but my hope is that this is like the 4z but with better treble than what has been described.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 1.11.27 am.png

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #128 of 153
eh...so this headset is a bust compare to the 4z?
After having compared it to the 4z and 4 at CanJam. I would say the 4 is the best of the bunch. The 24 is brighter, less resolution and bass lite compared to the 4 and to a lesser extent the 4z.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #129 of 153
After having compared it to the 4z and 4 at CanJam. I would say the 4 is the best of the bunch. The 24 is brighter, less resolution and bass lite compared to the 4 and to a lesser extent the 4z.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the 24, so I'll refrain. But to my ears, I think I have a slight preference for the 4z due to it's more balanced frequency response, but both are far more similar than different.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #130 of 153
I haven't spent a lot of time with the 24, so I'll refrain. But to my ears, I think I have a slight preference for the 4z due to it's more balanced frequency response, but both are far more similar than different.
Yeah in comparison to other cans, it would be hard to place the 24 as I only compared them to the other two TOTL Audezes. Between the 24 and the other two using the TT2 and MScaler the differences were quite evident. I was more a 4z fan coming into this, but the 4 showed its superiority via better resolution more so than tonal balance with the 24 being last in both resolution and tonal balance. I would say the 24 did have a better soundstage, with more precise imaging, though not enough to help it's other weaknesses. I would say the 24 is a $1,500 headphone at best.

May 5, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #131 of 153
What upper treble? lol that thing sounded really dead up there to me. There's a lot of etch in the mid treble peak it has though
Sounds like my experience with LCD-2 a few years back. Then, I tried my friend's LCD-2 at my home - it was a completely different sound. Then, I realized Audeze basically did not have any quality control that there is a bit of lottery going on with their headphones back then. Not sure if things got any better these days.

May 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #132 of 153
Sounds like my experience with LCD-2 a few years back. Then, I tried my friend's LCD-2 at my home - it was a completely different sound. Then, I realized Audeze basically did not have any quality control that there is a bit of lottery going on with their headphones back then. Not sure if things got any better these days.
Supposedly as of the 2016 revision, it is better. But I'm not sure I trust variation in models aside from the 2F after that rev

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #134 of 153
I hated my lcd24 when I first got it is has too much mids and high but after a few months of use now. it seems to have become neutral and smooth sounding like my thror. maybe i have adopted to it. on maybe my V281 just sounds so much better now. the bass is as good as the lcd4 i think. since i auditioned them both with the v590. but i am no sound expert so it could all be placebo.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #135 of 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back