Audeze LCD-24 LIMITED EDITION - now including impressions and comparisons
May 15, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #136 of 153
Well damn there goes the 24. Too many mixed reviews on it. I think their goal was to go after the Empyrean, but it seems like they may have failed. Some owners and others who heard it on the thread like it, some don't. Too mixed to take a chance on this can. As for the 4 vs the 4z I guess I would be willing to take the sonic hit of the 4 vs the 4z for convenience. Weight and ease to drive are in favor of the 4z, in case I get a low powered tube amp for instance or really need to drive this from my Fiio Q5.

Well seems to me that clearly I need to go towards an Abyss 1266 TC. Yes the price difference, but suspect that move would be the last one needed. I have had 2C, 3C, X, i4, and 4z from Audeze. Still rocking the 4z and i4s. Working on purchase price for the Abyss phones... hopefully GSX Mini will drive them ok.

May 15, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #137 of 153
Well seems to me that clearly I need to go towards an Abyss 1266 TC. Yes the price difference, but suspect that move would be the last one needed. I have had 2C, 3C, X, i4, and 4z from Audeze. Still rocking the 4z and i4s. Working on purchase price for the Abyss phones... hopefully GSX Mini will drive them ok.
Abyss previously had stated that utilising the GS-X Mini for the AB-1266s had been acceptable for them.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #139 of 153
I think this is one of the most underrated headphones. Moving up on open backs, I got the chance to listen to 1000se, LCD-4, 4z, and 24. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses and has slightly different signature depending on what your taste is for the type of music you listen. In the end, I chose the LCD-24. It is more well balanced for the type of music I listen to mainly jazz, smooth jazz, instrumentals, some pop, and and new age. I always listen to HP's with EQ so the comparison was all made using Oratory1990, Roon, TT2, and HMS.

This will be my end game for a while. An HD 8XX is coming up in September so it is interesting to see if that is also a keeper.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #140 of 153
One thing I was thinking about doing in the future was describing myself and the limits to my hearing, which would give the reader some context for my opinions.

@alexzogh — nearly 2 years later.. have you kept the LCD-24s? If so, how have their faired in the test of times, and what do you of them today?

Regarding your comment above, couldn’t agree more. And, therefore, would love do know, if you would be willing to share, what are your favorite headphones? I’m actually considering the LCD-24 as one or two are still circulating around, and would be great to know if you reference point is similar to mine (my own favorite headphone these days is the Kennerton Thekk).

many thanks :)

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #141 of 153
The LCD24 + V590 is awesome for EDM. It was better than the LCD-4 when I audition them both. It is like the RAD 0 just a bit more intense like a double shot espresso.
This is good to know. I have a LCD24 incoming for audition and will be using a V550. Question, were you working from the DAC onboard, or an external?

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #142 of 153
This is good to know. I have a LCD24 incoming for audition and will be using a V550. Question, were you working from the DAC onboard, or an external?
I have tried both the qutest and the builtin dac. The qutest has more sound field and the built in for me is just more holographic. As my qutest is on RMA right now, I have just used the built in which is I think can go toe to toe with the qutest. You could improve the clocks by using the SU-6 DDC which I am using. By the way, It might take a bit more time to burn in and get used to the LCD24's intense nature. It is like a Rad 0 but with more sound field. But after that you will find the LCD-4 mids and highs just way too, recessed.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #145 of 153
Wonder how LCD24 would compare to Audeze new electrostatic headphone...
I don't think I can link it here but there is a review from WaveTheory about the LCD-R it in another site.

To quip: "Unlike previous LCD models too, when it goes shouty for me, the LCD-R does a better job of maintaining its spatial integrity than even the more expensive LCD-24."

He talked more about the weakness of LCD-R which is on timbre.

Other remarks:

- "The spatial performance, at least in terms of imaging and separation, also sets a new standard at $2500. To beat it, yeah, you’re easily looking at an amp and headphone combo costing $4000+."

- "The point here is that timbre on the level the LCD-R and Jot A bring is more accessible by other systems at this price point than what the LCD-R and Jot A bring for resolution, spatial performance, and dynamics."

- "A fourth area where the LCD-R + Jot A aren’t bad but don’t reach the same standard it sets for itself with resolution, spatial performance, and dynamics is timbre."

- "The LCD-2’s slightly higher mid-range presence means that it wanders into shouty territory more frequently (only slightly), but its increased presence through that frequency range masks the effect some. The shout is there, but it’s not usually very distracting or overpowering. With the LCD-R, when it shouts, it feels more intense. It’s more noticeable. Some of that may be because some of the other things – resolution, imaging, separation – are so good, when something goes awry it stands out more."

Sep 11, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #148 of 153
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I just received these in a trade and I couldn't be more impressed with them. The LCD-24's are just what I hope they would be. They have great resolution with a fast transient response. A robust, weighted, yet refined sound with a vibrant, textured midrange. Powerful, layered bass, with excellent treble clarity and extension.

The LCD-24's are different enough from my LCD-4's to garner keeping both in my collection. In comparison, the LCD-4's are warmer, fuller, have a more creamy and lush midrange, and slightly better detail retrieval. No question, the LCD-4's are the more musical headphone. The LCD-24's are something different to me. They seem faster with better pacing, more transparency and resolution. The LCD-24's also seem to sound more holographic, out of my head. The have enough warmth and tonality to their sound to you engaged and enjoying your music. I really like this headphone.

IMG_2179.jpg

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #149 of 153
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I just received these in a trade and I couldn't be more impressed with them. The LCD-24's are just what I hope they would be. They have great resolution with a fast transient response. A robust, weighted, yet refined sound with a vibrant, textured midrange. Powerful, layered bass, with excellent treble clarity and extension.

The LCD-24's are different enough from my LCD-4's to garner keeping both in my collection. In comparison, the LCD-4's are warmer, fuller, have a more creamy and lush midrange, and slightly better detail retrieval. No question, the LCD-4's are the more musical headphone. The LCD-24's are something different to me. They seem faster with better pacing, more transparency and resolution. The LCD-24's also seem to sound more holographic, out of my head. The have enough warmth and tonality to their sound to you engaged and enjoying your music. I really like this headphone.

IMG_2179.jpg

Great to see these going to a good home.. :)

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #150 of 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back