Audeze LCD-2 vs. HiFiMan HE-5
Nov 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Landis

Headphoneus Supremus
There's the two official threads kicking around back and forth with two discussions asking the same question; "which is better?!"

I figure this will simplify things for everyone.

For those folks who recently went to the New York meet, please make some detailed comparisons between the two as many of us are pondering "which ortho will be my ortho?"

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 38
A great suggestion! I own the HE-5 and will purchase the Audeze also..but to people on the fence about which is which (sound properties) a side by side would be nice!

If memory serves, please include the associated equipment used to better gage the performance perspective!

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 38
that meet was loud so there really was no critical listening, but i spent about 30 mins A/B'ing the HE5 and Audeze on my HR Bal Home with G08. both had very good detail and separation. the Audeze had a wider L to R and slightly more laid back sound. by comparison, the HE5 seemed a tad bright, too forward and with a bit of an edge. i liked them both but plan to order an Audeze. also, one was easier to drive, but i don't recall which. and both had a smaller sound stage than the HD800.

also:

* Fang told me that Head-Direct/HifiMan does not plan to offer a balanced cable for the HE5 - but only to offer/provide the connectors to 3rd-party cable makers.

* Alex told me that the Audeze will come with two ear pad options, velvet or leather, and the sound is a little different with each. he also said that the cable on the production model will be detachable and use 4-pin mini xlr.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 38
^ the LCD2 was much louder than the HE5 at the same amp output.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 38
On that note, are the HE-5 pads be replaceable/changeable?

edit: seems like the he-5 pads are replaceable from pics in the he-5 thread

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has it been confirmed that the LCD-2 will not have changeable pads?

At the NYC meet I spoke to Alex & the pads are not changeable.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that meet was loud so there really was no critical listening, but i spent about 30 mins A/B'ing the HE5 and Audeze on my HR Bal Home with G08. both had very good detail and separation. the Audeze had a wider L to R and slightly more laid back sound. by comparison, the HE5 seemed a tad bright, too forward and with a bit of an edge. i liked them both but plan to order an Audeze. also, one was easier to drive, but i don't recall which. and both had a smaller sound stage than the HD800.

also:

* Fang told me that Head-Direct/HifiMan does not plan to offer a balanced cable for the HE5 - but only to offer/provide the connectors to 3rd-party cable makers.

* Alex told me that the Audeze will come with two ear pad options, velvet or leather, and the sound is a little different with each. he also said that the cable on the production model will be detachable and use 4-pin mini xlr.

Many Thanks Vcoheda! I know meet conditions (even mini ones) aren't the place for serious comparison, but good effort! In a BAR...CLASSIC! I'd still be there! Portable gear at the pool table...Bar Maids and "Cans-Cans"...whew!

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ the LCD2 was much louder than the HE5 at the same amp output.

Thanks Man! That should be worth the price of admission for most folks! The HE-5 does have issues and needs above and beyond!

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the NYC meet I spoke to Alex & the pads are not changeable.

hmmm..so we can have one or the other (Velour or Leather), but not both? That's weird!

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm..so we can have one or the other (Velour or Leather), but not both? That's weird!

That is indeed a shame! Chances are that most people buying a pair of the LCD-2s would want to give both a try.

From what I read in the stand-alone LCD-2 thread, it felt quite some bit heavier than the HE-5; so far the LCD-2 isn't impressing me for features, but Audeze needs to get on their way to releasing these ASAP so we can get more sound impressions.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 38
the build quality on both seemed pretty decent. the HE5 looks nicer (esp. the wood on each side of the head band) and was definitely lighter and more comfortable. but the Audeze was not uncomfortable.

also i recall now some conversations with alex and others about the different ear pads on the Audeze and the feeling was that they affected the bass and sound stage.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is indeed a shame! Chances are that most people buying a pair of the LCD-2s would want to give both a try.

From what I read in the stand-alone LCD-2 thread, it felt quite some bit heavier than the HE-5; so far the LCD-2 isn't impressing me for features, but Audeze needs to get on their way to releasing these ASAP so we can get more sound impressions.

While I"m very eager to hear more comparisons between these two phones I disagree with the statement above about releasing them ASAP. I would rather Alex and Sankar do all they can to get them right, sound wise as well as fit and finish, before putting them out in the market place. I'd rather that than buy an LCD-2 which could be replaced in 3 weeks by the LCD-3's. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back