Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 8, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #17,746 of 18,459
Thanks for the Saskatchewan prop's, Peter! I am mighty proud of those guys. Funny how the Rolling Stone cover story makes note of an unintelligible, thick Saskatchewanian accent of one of them. I am sure we have very little of one, as a whole. If the dude was interviewing a fellow from Newfoundland, he would have made no sense of it!...

WAY off topic here - I grew in S'toon but have been out of Canada for about 15 years, coming back to visit friends and family every so often. There is in fact a pretty distinct Saskatchewan accent - I never really noticed it until I was away for a while. I find it more noticeable in women than men. However anyone who claims it's difficult to understand must not be a native English speaker. In fact, if I recall correctly there was a BBC series that claimed that Winnipeg has the most phonetically accurate English in the language - and we're not that far away.

Back on topic - Hoping to have some r.2s in my grubby mitts in a week or so. I'll be using them with my PB-2 until I decide which way to go on amping. I want to see what the Schiit balanced option turns out to be.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #17,747 of 18,459
Warrior, i think im with grokit on that topic.  Your ears definitely adjust over a short period of time, and your brain definitely adjusts to sounds coming at it  Sit next to a loud siren or tone that goes on for a long time and your brain and ears will adjust and make it tolerable after X amount of time, you might also hear things it covered up like a bass tone or something in a lower frequency being produced behind it but was masked by the sudden loudness.  

The same thing goes on in headphones in my opinion, it definitely takes some time for your ears to adjust and your brain to realize what is going on.  Use an ultrasone with s logic and this becomes immensely apparent, Upon first listen your ears will likely not understand the s logic tech, it will sound off, odd, and you wont even hear the stage depth.  Later, your head will adjust and the stage will open up and reveal things you originally did not hear because your ears and brain chose to only pick up on the harshest and most obvious sound being pipped into it.  My brain definitely needs to adjust after i stop using the lcd2 and switching back and forth from it to something else that is very different, the first few minutes seem weird because my ears got used to set X, and now im listening to set Z...my ears and brain need some time to hear things correctly.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #17,748 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

The reality of burn in with the LCD?  How so exactly?  You suggested it was so and then a group of new R.2 owners came along and backed you up and that results in making it reality?  I think if we go all the way back to the introduction of the R.2 we will see that you were the one that first presented the so-called drastic burn in impressions.  You have since then continued to be aggressively adamant about it, refusing to accept any other possibility for what you are hearing because in 24 years you supposedly have developed golden ears that are incapable of error.  Grokit politely attempts to present another possibility to this phenomena, one that I happen to agree with, and you shoot him down with attitude and sarcasm.

Where is the actual data that proves the R.2 without a doubt goes through a drastic burn in process?  Where can I find the frequency response charts of multiple R.2's at 10 hours and then at 300 hours to show the "reality" of their burn in?  If one has an extremely high end system providing more than ample current to the R.2 will it burn in at a more improved rate with a higher intensity than someone powering it with an Ipod, or will it be the same?   I think I missed all of that in this thread.

The R.1 exhibited no burn in.  There was never anyone like you that championed the cause to try and convince everyone that they needed 300 hours of burn in before they were able to hear what they were fully capable of.  So here is what I find truly amazing.  Alex and Sankar were somehow able to develop a new driver and manipulate it so that at 300 hours it would be outputting the exact sound they were planning for all along?  If that is the case, I must say it's pretty brilliant on their part.

First of all let me just state once again that I do not have a golden ear nor have I ever claimed to have one.  I know a few people who actually do. I do not.   I do not believe I was being sarcastic to Grokit just refuting his claim of placebo and bias which he always jabs me with, something I do not take as an aggressive gesture but more as playful barb.  This after getting to know Grokit over time and his sense of humor.
tongue_smile.gif

Grokit and folks like yourself however always advance some placebo and bias notion at play instead of actual real physical changes and incidentally you guys are the ones who never produce proof.  Just constant statements about this so called placebo bias phenomenon.  It's not a case of being incapable of error for me but more a case that in my time as a professional mixer I have learned to perceive error and untruth from truth in audio working side by side with other professionals discerning the same truths, and I offer my extensive professional experience as substantial proof whereas you and Grokit (no offense Grokit) always seem to offer none.  You offer no proof just the same two lines that bias and placebo and minds trick are at play.  Now if you had a few decades of psychological research under your belt in which you did the research then I could take your experience and knowledge as substantial proof of this psychological phenomenon but again you offer none and I believe you have none.  All you seem to have is the desire to claim this phenomenon over and over again.

Also you seem to divine a false understanding and comprehension of the posts you read.  I do not remember anyone saying Alex and Sankar developed a driver and manipulated it so that at 300 hours it would be outputting the exact sound they were planning all along. I have never said that, no one here has ever posted that nor have I ever read that Alex and Sankar have stated that.  What was said was that a conversation occurred with Alex in which the LCD's were found to come into their own somewhere between 200-300 hours.  Something I myself read after I discovered this very fact to be true.  What you might want to do is try calling them and asking them about it.  It would be interesting to hear about your conversation. And BTW Alex and Sankar didn't develop the R.1 or the R.2 by sitting around wondering if what they were hearing was real or not they knew what they were hearing was real.  They were not confused by some placebo or bias each time they tweaked their design. They obviously knew what they were hearing.  They may have used instruments to measure some of their work but in the end they put the LCD's on their heads and discerned the truth about them.

True neither of my 2 pairs R.1's or anyone else's needed burn in.  But the R.2s are drivers made differently than the R.1's they are thinner and use a different material.   

There are plenty of people in this thread who have heard their LCD's change with burn in.  No one championed the concept it was simply reported as fact.   Most of these people felt the burn in process occurred in the same manner. I doubt I had anything to do with their findings or whether some mass placebo and bias took place that provided the same results.  These folks came upon their results separately, many of them even stating they had been skeptical of reports of burin in until they experienced it themselves.  

As for pedantic charts showing proof about burn in get over it and get yourself some confidence in the hobby and yourself.   Can you show me proof that depth and layering exist in the soundfield with measurements?  But it does exist in the real world and not in some imaginary dimension of the mind.   Can you show me exact measurements of inner detail, micro dynamics, ambient decay, instrument separation?  No you cannot. But it does exist and our ears can detect these things. If yours cannot I suggest you practice the art of audio perception more often and rely less on the visual proof of charts and measurement and not try to deny the experience or the truths that an experienced ear can detect.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #17,750 of 18,459
So how about that LCD-2?  Pretty sweet and the actual topic, huh?

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #17,751 of 18,459
Just thought I would share with everyone my recent LCD2 R1 purchase and was not impressed when I first received it. I personally found the stock cable much too dark in sound. I had a WireWorld 3.5m Platinum 24 gage quad headphone cable custom made for my Woo 5 and now I would consider this is one of the best if not the best headphones I've ever heard. I fell the silver conductor help balance the frequencies and tremendously improved the treble.

In my collection I have as follow:

K1000 - Alex with Apure sound balanced
LA7000 - Balanced
GS1000i - Balanced
RS1i - Balanced
HD800 - WireWorld Eclipse 6
K340 Upgraded by Larry with Headphile
HD650 - Sliver Dragon Balanced

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #17,753 of 18,459

Quote:
Burn in is a real topic 
biggrin.gif

But as far as you are concerned, only for the LCD-2 rev.2 and the minions that echo your sentiments regarding it?

I haven't seen you discuss this topic in the sound science forum, or try to translate this type of break-in experience to any other headphone. I have seen you dismiss the importance of any physical, measurable evidence like it doesn't matter.

I am open to the possibility that there is room for more than one interpretation regarding how a headphone changes it's sound over the early part of its lifetime and therefore room for compromise between the physical and the psychological but apparently you are not. For you it seems that all of these changes have to be related to physical equipment, and only in regards to the LCD-2 rev.2.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #17,754 of 18,459

Quote:

But as far as you are concerned, only for the LCD-2 rev.2 and the minions that echo your sentiments regarding it?

I haven't seen you discuss this topic in the sound science forum, or try to translate this type of break-in experience to any other headphone. I have seen you dismiss the importance of any physical, measurable evidence like it doesn't matter.

I am open to the possibility that there is room for more than one interpretation regarding how a headphone changes it's sound over the early part of its lifetime and therefore room for compromise between the physical and the psychological but apparently you are not. For you it seems that these changes have to be all related to physical equipment, and only in regards to the LCD-2 rev.2.

I didn't know a science forum existed!  

I can't translate my experiences to to any other headphones because I've only owned the LCDs.  I have owned countless variations of high end speaker rigs though.

Who really cares about the graph that comes with the LCD?  I didn't even look at mine for the r.2. Whats the use?  I'm going to determine the sound with my ears and not from some graph. How will the graph help me other than actually bias my perspective in a way which would be faulty.

how could the LCD's change over their lifetime from psychological effects  They exist in the physical world where burn in occurs not in the mind of Minolta...

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #17,755 of 18,459

Quote:
Burn in is a real topic 
biggrin.gif

It definitely is, but c'mon guys.  We know you are smart guys, and we know that you, WA, have over two and a half decades of mixing experience, and are therefore the most qualified to be talking about how the brain works with audio.  But can we just move on from it?  I'd be more interested in hearing experiences with the LCD-2 as a new owner of these cans.  Science is a beautiful thing, but at this juncture some subjective experience with the headphones is what I need.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #17,756 of 18,459
^

Truth is, if it weren't for all it's meanderings this would be one DEAD thread.  All these guys have written reviews or at the very least a whole lot of impressions on the LCD-2s.  There's just nothing else to talk about.  

And...there just aren't that many people posting who have just heard these cans for the first time.  I can sympathize though, it's less painful to read through subjective impressions than it is through some random rambling.  Though the random rambling is sometimes more interesting.  Not this time (lol).  

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #17,757 of 18,459

Quote:
^

Truth is, if it weren't for all it's meanderings this would be one DEAD thread.  All these guys have written reviews or at the very least a whole lot of impressions on the LCD-2s.  There's just nothing else to talk about.  

And...there just aren't that many people posting who have just heard these cans for the first time.  I can sympathize though, it's less painful to read through subjective impressions than it is through some random rambling.  Though the random rambling is sometimes more interesting.  Not this time (lol).  

Not much left to say about these cans after 1185 pages. I'll do my best though:

They're badass, go buy them.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #17,758 of 18,459
I've had 2 rev.2's in as many months. The one I have now sounds better. Production variations?
popcorn.gif

Edit: I don't actually think this is the case. Just posting an observation. Don't care either way as I love this unit more than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back