Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #17,627 of 18,459
report about the rev2's  aftermarket cables  again;

I have tried the Kimber Hero with furutech Jack.(yes the very KimberHero ,which is used for Interconnection)
It sounds very nice,I think in term of quality this cable can compete with the Apursound V3.(I think these two are in the same level,can't tell which is better)
The Apursound V3 has a better tonal balance. It's quite relax to  listen to.
Kimber hero with Furutech Jack has exiting sound character clear with more bass weight and impact, the golden Furutech helps boost the treble. It sounds similar to the Zeus cable (even though not as good as the Zeus).

p.s. 8 feet Kimber hero+golden furutech Jack with termination cost around 170$. I think it's a great alternative for someone looking for the aftermarket cable.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #17,628 of 18,459
Coolcat, great stuff you've got there. Remember to try some carbon terminations from Furutech - they sound nothing short of astounding but kind of hard to get hold of right now.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #17,629 of 18,459

Quote:
im still unsure about changing leather pads. Has anyone felt that the new pads are siginificantly better (sq and comfort wise) than the old ones?

More significant than swapping after-market headphone cables to these ears. I think Tyll had measured a pair of the older LCD2s with the updated pads and the result puts it much closer to the newer version. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #17,630 of 18,459
A bit curious exactly due to why the Rev2 would be harder to drive then Rev1? 

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #17,631 of 18,459
Good for you, Windsor. I am also a HUGE fan of Television's Marquee Moon. A very forward-thinking album that anticipated much of was to come in indie rock, punk and post-punk.

Quote:
     Quote:

When you upgrade to a hi-end rig, certain flaws in albums that may previously have been imperceptible e.g. clipping and tape cuts, may reveal themselves. When I began listening to my collection with the LCD-2 rev2 I was surprised at how many flaws in the recordings were revealed to me that I didn't notice before. With the rev2, Television's Marquee Moon, a long-time favourite album of mine, was portrayed in such detail that what sounds like imperfections on the master tape were audible on the digital recording. Before owning the rev2, I just heard the musical language on the recording and was less aware of the sound of the recording itself.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #17,632 of 18,459
great, i was hoping for that :) wat about comfort wise though, i think someone mentioned a few pages back that they feel cheaper and not as smooth or smth...

Quote:
More significant than swapping after-market headphone cables to these ears. I think Tyll had measured a pair of the older LCD2s with the updated pads and the result puts it much closer to the newer version. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #17,633 of 18,459

Quote:
im still unsure about changing leather pads. Has anyone felt that the new pads are siginificantly better (sq and comfort wise) than the old ones?

I personally think the newer pads are significantly lower in quality material-wise. Comfort-wise is the same. SQ-wise I don't know, but if it's what's responsible for the thin sounding LCD2, then I would like to offer to trade my pads with yours to get the old pads back!

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #17,634 of 18,459

Quote:
A bit curious exactly due to why the Rev2 would be harder to drive then Rev1? 

I am thinking it might be a synergy issue more than a technical voltage/current thing. After some more listening, I think the older LCD2 was just more forgiving and thus sounded better with more kinds of gears. This R2 seems to be more finicky with what it's paired with. Might be because it's more revealing.

Quote:
It should sound magically better after 300 hours or so. 
cool.gif

I'll have to wait for that, right now to be honest I'm a little underwhelmed by the R2.  I instantly fell in love with the R1. The R2 is sort of, well, it sounds great and all but it's not a magical, life-altering experience for me, heh.  Sort of like, I can appreciate its technical merits but it's not moving my soul right now.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #17,636 of 18,459
I have the Rev 1 for almost half a year now and still loving it.  I had the HD800 for more than a year before getting the Rev 1; I sold off the HD800 after comparing the two.  Can't afford to keep both.

I listened to the Rev 2 briefly at a friend's shop sometime ago, and the Rev 2 sounded anemic compared to my Rev 1 at home.  But then, it was an unfair comparison, since the Rev 2 was brand new and hardly burned in, with stock cable (compared to the Q cable with the Rev 1 at home) and different source and amp.

I am sure the Rev 2 would sound fantastic on my system as well, with enough burning in and the stock cable replaced.  I thought of getting a Rev 2 to replace my Rev 1, but then I thought of the saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"...I am enjoying the Rev 1 so much, I feel I don't need an upgrade for now...at least until the LCD-3.

Wonder if the LCD-2 gets any better than its current versions now, will it be comparable to the best of Stax.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #17,637 of 18,459
I may have to eat my words. My R2s went through some severe burn in last night, it wasn't a long burn in, just about 9 hours, but I put it through alternating pink noise, 20-200hz freq sweeps and 10-30,000hz sweeps. 

Oh my.

Remember how I said it didn't drive well out of my X02? Remember I said it didn't move my soul?
Scratch all that.

These are AWESOME.

I am surprised. I haven't even hit the 50 hour mark yet. But there's a huge improvement here from when I initially listened to them, rather disappointedly so.

The bass suddenly rounded out and I'm no longer disappointed. The mids aren't quite the same creamy chocolate of the HD650 but they are now magical just like Orthos are meant to, vocals are now just awesome, it's not a chocolate bar, more like a chocolate milkshake. It's not half bad!  I definitely need to compare these with an R1 now.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #17,638 of 18,459

Quote:
I may have to eat my words. My R2s went through some severe burn in last night, it wasn't a long burn in, just about 9 hours, but I put it through alternating pink noise, 20-200hz freq sweeps and 10-30,000hz sweeps. 

Oh my.

Remember how I said it didn't drive well out of my X02? Remember I said it didn't move my soul?
Scratch all that.

These are AWESOME.

I am surprised. I haven't even hit the 50 hour mark yet. But there's a huge improvement here from when I initially listened to them, rather disappointedly so.

The bass suddenly rounded out and I'm no longer disappointed. The mids aren't quite the same creamy chocolate of the HD650 but they are now magical just like Orthos are meant to, vocals are now just awesome, it's not a chocolate bar, more like a chocolate milkshake. It's not half bad!  I definitely need to compare these with an R1 now.

The R.2's need burn in.  Lots of it.   200-300 hours is when it will finally be done.  There is nothing magical about that number,  it's just what happens. Most of the changes happen in the first 50 hours.   The better your source and amp the better it's going to perform.   

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #17,640 of 18,459
Have a brand new pair of LCD2s waiting for me back home next week, along with a Burson HA-160D and Cardas USB cable.  After years of loving Cowon and my venerable Shure SE530s, it seemed like a good time.  I'll post my impressions as they come.  Thanks everyone for such a great sell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back