Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 4, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #17,583 of 18,459
And now that she's discovered audiophile sound, she's gonna need a better system in the car you're gonna need to buy her too. 
wink.gif

Quote:
17 at the end of next week.  She's already eyeballing my Marantz...

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #17,585 of 18,459

Quote:

(1) iPhone 4 -> CLAS -> Stepdance -> LCD2
(2) iPhone 4 -> CLAS -> SR71A -> LCD2
(3) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 -> Stepdance -> LCD2
(4) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 -> SR71A -> LCD2
(5) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 (using its internal amp) -> LCD2

What happens when the phone rings? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #17,590 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes, well, that's the puzzle I'm facing now
These are actually second LCD2s I have. The first one come exactly one year ago, loved it and, being totally out of my mind, I sold that pair still in 2010... Now I've got another one and was somewhat hesitant, having read all the nice things you guys write here about the newer revision being a diversion to the sound I like so much... So now I'm puzzled: did I get what I really wanted = rev1 (produced??) tested and shipped Aug 29, or it's some sort of an error on Audeze part? You know, a twist of FIFO doing a number on me...
Gotta email them, I suppose.

Currawong's right, there will be production differences in frequency response for each individual unit. The trend is that they are brighter after the revision, but how much brighter and where in the spectrum is by individual unit. This isn't anything new in my experience. My graph is a hybrid of yours and his trending toward yours above 4khz. I wouldn't sweat it, enjoy them.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #17,592 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok, I've got the Fostex HP-P1 for my "transportable" office LCD-2 rig. Tomorrow I will work overtime to compare the following: 
biggrin.gif

(1) iPhone 4 -> CLAS -> Stepdance -> LCD2
(2) iPhone 4 -> CLAS -> SR71A -> LCD2
(3) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 -> Stepdance -> LCD2
(4) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 -> SR71A -> LCD2
(5) iPhone 4 -> Fostex HP-P1 (using its internal amp) -> LCD2

All of the above refers to the Rev 1. The same cables will be used for the tests: ALO iPhone to USB cable and ALO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. I hope this will be useful for people who use the LCD2 as a transportable or low profile office rig. 

Some pics are attached.

I think this will deserve its own thread.. if you post it here only a few people will ever know it existed because it will just get lost in constant barage of posting in this thread.

I hope you or people like you also buy the fiio x3. (their soon coming portable music player that will have a coax digital out in the form of a 1/8" mini jack) -   To hear comparisons of the CLAS or HP-P1 and x3 will be really interesting especially since the x3 is set to cost less than $150.

the x3 will also have a better than average amp section and a lineo out

The FiiO X3 Thread (Upcoming FiiO DAP)

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #17,594 of 18,459
Are you all sure that the neuances in FR are just the drivers and not placement on the dummy head used to measure? And, all LCD-2 users have different ears+ so FR scrutinization is almost pointless.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #17,595 of 18,459
Quote:
Are you all sure that the neuances in FR are just the drivers and not placement on the dummy head used to measure? And, all LCD-2 users have different ears+ so FR scrutinization is almost pointless.

Check Inner Fidelity's graphs. The frequency response raws underneath the compensated graph are composed of five different head placements. The LCD-2 shows very little variation, less than most other headphones.

I mean, if you put them on upside down or something the frequency response would look pretty different. I don't think anyone's measured them upside down yet.

Can anyone else scan and post rev. 1 and rev. 2 graphs? hotubei's is the only rev. 2 graph I've seen that looks like that. I always assumed Audez'e had consistent drivers, which is one of the things they brag about on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back