Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #17,086 of 18,459
lcd 3? PLEASE...I know I should have never joined this forum....

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #17,087 of 18,459

Just got my LCD-2 and Burson HA-160D yesterday. Absolutely loving it! The best thing about them for me is the seperation of instruments and detail, it kills my HD650's in that regard. Didn't know how much of an upgrade they would truly be but the increase in detail is staggering. Love them. Wish I didn't have to go to work so much and could listem more.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #17,089 of 18,459

Quote:

And why do they sound better/ Are they made of some different exotic material? can measurements prove this. 40K for a CABLE IS TOTAL INSANITY AND PROBABLY TONS OF SNAKE OIL.
biggrin.gif

An A/B comparison of two interconnect cables is very easy to do.  Speaker cables are a little harder, but also can be done.  In my A/B comparisons, none of the listeners could determine differences when A or B was in the circuit better than chance.  The listeners I tried this with included professional musicians and avowed 'golden ears.'    For the interconnects, equipment used included Beta 22 amp, Audio_Gd NFB-10es DAC, LCD-2 headphones, and HD-800's. Cheapest cable compared was a Radio Shack $5 job, and the most expensive was a 1 meter Nordost Valhalla.  Bunch of others in between- Outlaw Audio, Blue Jean, Anti-Cables, Cardas, MIT.

Now, the fact that none of the listeners could hear a difference in my experiment does not 'PROVE' that no difference exists.  It's very hard to prove a negative.  So you can't PROVE that the cableophiles aren't hearing some difference.

HOWEVER, if  a bunch of people with good hearing, who know how to listen, can't hear a difference between a $5 Radio Shack interconnect and a $3000 pair of Nordost Valhalla RCA's, I sure as hell am NOT going to be buying those Valhallas any time soon.  For any audio tweak over $50 I want the improvement to be easily demonstrated or I am keeping my hard-earned dollars.

There is something to be said for some of the $20~$30 cables like Blue Jean.  They are nicely made, and will probably hold up a long time.  Probably won't SOUND any better, but they are just nice.  There are also some nice RCA's on eBay for like $7 including shipping that use good coax, and have machined RCA plugs with split center pins which offer mechanical advantages- they don't come loose. If you have a zillion-watt amplifier and a pair of costly speakers, you and your tweeters really don't want the RCA input cable coming loose.... even with  something like the Beta 22 and a pair of expensive headphones, I really don't want some kind of "input ungrounding" accident. So there are PRACTICAL advantages to well-made cables, even if there are no DEMONSTRABLE audible differences. 

It's possible that for certain signals like the output of my VPI Scout turntable with a moving coil pickup, maybe having the lowest capacitance possible and really good shielding might be sonically useful. Blue Jean RCA's are as low as the lowest capacitance available, and have shielding that proves very effective in tests.  I have NOT A/B'd  a cable in this application, and will concede it's possible that something like the Blue Jean might have noticeable sonic differences over the Radio Shack when used for a phono cartridge.

And of course, for any cable over maybe 3 feet, the capacitance of the cable CAN dull the highs on certain sources with certain preamps or amps- it's a matter of source and load impedance.  For example, using a Bottlehead Eros phono preamp into a 50k pot (passive 'preamp') - you've got a 4k source impedance driving a 50 k load, long cables are going to have some treble impact here.  But that would be ANY long cables- they ALL have more capacitance than you want in this circuit, some worse than other certainly.  But if you keep the cables to 12 inches or so, you really aren't going to have any possibility of loading the thing down, even with cheap cables.

Most DACs have very low output impedance-  some of mine are 2 ohms - CD players etc are also often in this realm, so really unless you are using a 5k pot as a passive preamp, you're not going to run into issues with cable capacitance with sources like these.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #17,091 of 18,459
I ordered my LCD's from Audeze yesterday.  The finalized order gave me a pass/user to check tracking.  I can't find that anywhere and went to the support site since it says open tickets and still can't find it.  Did I get that wrong?

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #17,092 of 18,459
nothing is wrong. if the money is deducted. just wait for the shipping invoice.

Quote:
I ordered my LCD's from Audeze yesterday.  The finalized order gave me a pass/user to check tracking.  I can't find that anywhere and went to the support site since it says open tickets and still can't find it.  Did I get that wrong?

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #17,094 of 18,459
lcd 3? PLEASE...I know I should have never joined this forum....

There is a great answer to this problem, one I have found invaluable in the past. Don't visit the forums anymore then you will revel in blissful ignorance and not spend hundreds, if not thousands on tiny changes in sound that if you had not visited the forums you probably either would have never been aware of or, if you had heard the " upgrade" without knowing it was an upgrade would probably never have been able to tell a difference!

I had a chance to hear the Rev 2's the other day as a friend just got a pair. To be honest I have no idea what most of you folks are on about. There was the tiniest of differences, certainly not enough for me to lose a few hundred bucks just so that I can have " the latest and greatest' version.

I think forums are bad places in many ways. The make us spend money on improvements that are on the whole not a lot! I have fallen foul to this many times.

Case in point. I heard the JH16's admittedly they had universal tips added so i could hear them, they sounded nice but not $860 better than my ER4S's! If they were $50 more then the small improvement may have been worth it but not at the difference they are!

Personally, if you have the rev 1's, keep them, love the perfect sound you got when you purchased them. Don't believe all the nonsense that the rev 2' suddenly lift veils, increase clarity or other such things. The differences are so small that I think they are more about justification of wasting more money than actual changes or improvements. There, I have said it, wanted to for a while but waited till I heard the new pair.

To all rev1 owners, save the couple of hundred bucks you would have lost changing and spend it on music, after all, that is what it is all about isn't it?

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #17,095 of 18,459

Quote:
Do you actually know anything, or is this rampant speculation? Unless it comes direct from the horses mouth, this kind of carrot dangling should be banned imo. There's just no way to verify a member may have genuine inside knowledge, or is merely inciting a reaction.

You have a PM
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #17,096 of 18,459
I have a question, if anyone's found the similarity between the LCD2 rev2 and the O2 like me (not everything but still they make me think about the O2)?

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #17,097 of 18,459

Quote:
There is a great answer to this problem, one I have found invaluable in the past. Don't visit the forums anymore then you will revel in blissful ignorance and not spend hundreds, if not thousands on tiny changes in sound that if you had not visited the forums you probably either would have never been aware of or, if you had heard the " upgrade" without knowing it was an upgrade would probably never have been able to tell a difference!

I had a chance to hear the Rev 2's the other day as a friend just got a pair. To be honest I have no idea what most of you folks are on about. There was the tiniest of differences, certainly not enough for me to lose a few hundred bucks just so that I can have " the latest and greatest' version.

I think forums are bad places in many ways. The make us spend money on improvements that are on the whole not a lot! I have fallen foul to this many times.

Case in point. I heard the JH16's admittedly they had universal tips added so i could hear them, they sounded nice but not $860 better than my ER4S's! If they were $50 more then the small improvement may have been worth it but not at the difference they are!

Personally, if you have the rev 1's, keep them, love the perfect sound you got when you purchased them. Don't believe all the nonsense that the rev 2' suddenly lift veils, increase clarity or other such things. The differences are so small that I think they are more about justification of wasting more money than actual changes or improvements. There, I have said it, wanted to for a while but waited till I heard the new pair.

To all rev1 owners, save the couple of hundred bucks you would have lost changing and spend it on music, after all, that is what it is all about isn't it?

funny how we hear so differently , I just sold my LCD2 classic to purchase the rev2.
I've just found they are  different enough to say they are  different models.
I won't say that the rev2 are better than the classic one,because the classic have their own charms (for example try listening to bass heavy music then you will feel you have a very good subwoofer around your ears and I miss my old LCD2 so much).

by the way I just use the Zeus Cast cu and Saa endorphin with them and almosts never listened them with the stock cable ,so my comment is maybe not quite accurate. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #17,098 of 18,459

Quote:

I also ordered an LCD-2 yesterday, and I can't even get to the product page now. I wish their website was a little better.

edit: nevermind it must have been a temporary problem. Here's where you can login http://audeze.com/user/login

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #17,099 of 18,459

Quote:
There, I have said it, wanted to for a while but waited till I heard the new pair.

Nice impressions.  And I'm glad you waited to confirm that bias.  
wink.gif
  (< Just poking fun)

Can you comment on the soundstage?  Was there little to no improvement in that department too?  

I felt the Rev.1s the soundstage reverb-ed back from a clearly distinguishable limit from all but the most esoteric amps/sources (my own mileage, of course).

My entire house just shook as I wrote this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back