Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #16,606 of 18,459
Nothing too worthwhile to add but I just received my LCD-2 this morning. 

The wooden box is gorgeous in person. It's nicely polished and has a really solid feel to it. Classy all around.

I've attached my particular set's frequency chart just because. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #16,607 of 18,459

Quote:
because to err is human.

at least for most of us, that is.

Yes this is true.  But still one can learn not to doubt one's experiences or let others create doubt that need not exist.   You hear something you hear it. Don't doubt it.  If you think there is some imaginary game at play working to trick your senses every time you notice something then you've got to just put that aside and realize you actually heard something conctrete. There is no imaginary force working on the mind playing games with ones hearing.  You hear something you hear it.  Have confidence in that.  This is how one builds a skill in aural perception.  So stop doubting and finding reason to think you didn't hear something and have confidence that you actually did.   

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #16,609 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok so you didn't compare them side by side directly. Thanks for clarifying.

No recstar I did not. If that's the laborious point to all this then you made that small minor point.  Seems like a lot of energy to go through especially since the point was made already a number of times in this thread.  On the other hand however not having had the r.1 in my home now for a month I can still clearly remember the sonic qualities of the r.1.    Just remember that simply because you may not be able to recall the sonic qualities of a piece of gear does not in any way mean or prove that others cannot.  There are working environments that demand and create a long lasting aural/acoustic memory skill that must be used and demonstrated on an hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month basis. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #16,610 of 18,459
Quote:
Yes this is true.  But still one can learn not to doubt one's experiences or let others create doubt that need not exist.   You hear something you hear it. Don't doubt it.  If you think there is some imaginary game at play working to trick your senses every time you notice something then you've got to just put that aside and realize you actually heard something conctrete. There is no imaginary force working on the mind playing games with ones hearing.  You hear something you hear it.  Have confidence in that.  This is how one builds a skill in aural perception.  So stop doubting and finding reason to think you didn't hear something and have confidence that you actually did.   

Very Zen, good post.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #16,611 of 18,459

Quote:

hearing something is one thing. remembering exactly what you heard a couple days, weeks or months ago is a completely different matter.

simply convincing yourself that something is true doesn't necessarily make it so. that's just pride, effing with you.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #16,612 of 18,459

Quote:
hearing something is one thing. remembering exactly what you heard a couple days, weeks or months ago is a completely different matter.

simply convincing yourself that something is true doesn't necessarily make it so. that's just pride, effing with you.

I don't know why so many people here feel compelled to call WarriorAnt out for his claims about audio memory. He's explained time and time again that his profession required him to do exactly what he describes -- remember very specific aural detail over periods of time. My wife is an audio-visual professional (not at his level, but close), and I know for a fact that one can train his or her memory to function in exactly the way he describes it. Can we all lay off WA for a while?

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #16,613 of 18,459
If we ALL were NOT to post ANY impressions on gear that we have NOT heard SIDE-BY-SIDE and on the same source material AND listening environment, this forum would be really boring.

But, hey, keep up the good work in attacking people who do so.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #16,614 of 18,459
Quote:
Can we all lay off WA for a while?

Nah 
tongue.gif

To remember is one thing. To use a good memory as a defense against potential bias is another. I don't doubt that WarriorAnt remembered what the rev. 1 sounded like, at least generally. I do doubt that the differences between revisions are as large as he thinks. Even if he could remember the sound of the rev. 1 exactly, that doesn't mean the great differences he heard are all real.

His belief that his memory is very accurate, and his belief that this makes his observations accurate, would be a form of bias blind spot. That's one of my favorite biases, it applies to pretty much everybody 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #16,615 of 18,459

Quote:
Nah 
tongue.gif

To remember is one thing. To use a good memory as a defense against potential bias is another. I don't doubt that WarriorAnt remembered what the rev. 1 sounded like, at least generally. I do doubt that the differences between revisions are as large as he thinks. Even if he could remember the sound of the rev. 1 exactly, that doesn't mean the great differences he heard are all real.

I acknowledge this as a possibility. I also think the recent side-by-side comparisons generally coincide his point of view... which also proves nothing, except that WarriorAnt's claims are within the realm of possibility and should not be dismissed out of hand as an accident of bias.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #16,617 of 18,459
Hmm thanks! Yes to not using internal dac. I use either Eastern Electric Minimax or Jan's StageDAC ATM - both considerably better than the Opera's which, to be fair, was designed some years ago.

I'll experiment with the high/low gain. Interesting.

Quote:
Some advice on Opera: 1) use only low gain and 2) don't use its internal dac. If you are not getting enough volume on low gain, which I believe is the case, try to find a source with variable output. 4-6v output would be Ideal. Opera/symphony is a good amp, just underpowered on low giain ( high gain is noticeably worse sounding).

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #16,618 of 18,459
It may not be as uncommon as you think, nor may it require the training WA had to recall the sound of a specific gear, especially if it was the subject of intense scrutiny. While I had both rev 1 and 2 at the same time for a few weeks, and ultimately kept rev 2, I can still recall the very specific sound of rev 1, down to some of its most minute characteristics.

While I had both, I did countless blind A/B tests (my wife switched cables and matched volumes for me). I could tell 1 from 2 within a few seconds with 100% accuracy. The difference was extremely noticeable, to these ears at least. Even now as I type, and have neither 1 nor 2 with me, I can almost hear each one in part.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #16,619 of 18,459
I commend WA for being composed despite the veiled attacks on him. I believe the guy too. Noone has a right to tell him his opinion is wrong. Do we have the same ears, experience, setup and listening conditions as him?

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #16,620 of 18,459
Great points head injury and phaedrus. Agree completely.

Shah rose, the issue does not appear that people here are challenging warriorcants opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The issue is that when an opinion is different from his, he is very adamant to tell them they are wrong. At times his posts have come across as very condescending and as if he is talking down to people. The above posts by him further reiterate that he is willing to be an output device, but not necessarily be an input device and be open to different hearing opinions, due to the belief that his hearing is perfect.

Extremism and over-zealous bias can be a dangerous thing.

I will also add to warriorcants somewhat veiled attack on my ability to hear by simply stating that I do have somewhat of a humble experience reviewing gear. It is linked below (Ryan Clarin), and I also have a review for tyll's inner fidelity (Eddie current BA). However, I fully accept any contrary opinions to the linked reviews if anyone has them :wink:

http://6moons.com/archivelibrary/writer.html

Nah 
tongue.gif

His belief that his memory is very accurate, and his belief that this makes his observations accurate, would be a form of bias blind spot. That's one of my favorite biases, it applies to pretty much everybody 
biggrin.gif
I commend WA for being composed despite the veiled attacks on him. I believe the guy too. Noone has a right to tell him his opinion is wrong. Do we have the same ears, experience, setup and listening conditions as him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back