Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #16,353 of 18,459

Quote:

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #16,355 of 18,459

Quote:
To me rev2 sounds a bit similar to hd800s but with more bass. On the hand, hd800 is more  refined and much more comfortable to wear.

While I totally agree the HD800 is comfortable to wear (one of the best ergonomic designs that I've run across), I'm not sure I understand what you mean that the rev 2 sounds similar to them.  Maybe a little more similar in clarity and speed than the rev 1, but the treble, soundstage, and imaging are really quite different if my memories of the HD800 serve me right.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #16,356 of 18,459

Quote:
Someone mentioned true ribbon headphones? More information, please. Who, where, when, etc.

You're lucky I noticed your post, as I don't follow this thread very much. U had better quoted
wink.gif
http://www.transmissionaudio.com/
I have even emailed him, but he only gave me little answer. He confirmed they will cost less than electrostatic headphones, but you never know until they're released...
Futher to that, on his website he wrote that they sound better than the best electrostatic headphones (the 009 weren't released yet though). When I asked him if it was true, he obviously answered me that in the end it's a matter of personal taste, but that he wouldn't release these headphones on the market if he didn't believe they sound better than the best electrostatic headphones. There is a substantial chance that they are driven by speakers amp rather than headphones.
Again, I know very little, and he didn't give me much info. They should be officially announced this year. What I know for sure, is that I have speakers with true ribbon tweeters, and I've listened to true ribbon speakers, and they far outclass the lcd-2 (except for the fact that headphones don't have room problems).

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #16,357 of 18,459
I was wondering if anyone investigated the "creaminess" of rev-1 sound comparing to rev-2.

From what I've seen, the 500Hz square wave plots looks almost completely the same, Rev2 actually being even slightly less distorted.
Which may or may not prove the opposite of my understanding of "creamy" sound being less distorted, smooth and perhaps "damped".

Square wave isn't a common sound you hear in music.
Instead, recording and plotting a mid range (200-500Hz) sine wave, or perhaps a guitar sound -  would be more illustrative.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #16,359 of 18,459

Quote:
Any change to what was recorded is a reduction in fidelity.  If the playback chain "creates" any sort of artificial soundstage enhancement, that is just what it is, an artificial enhancement, not fidelity to the original event.  Whether or not an individual prefers artificial enhancement to fidelity or vice versa is an entirely subjective matter. 

Yay.... The voice of reason.

High fidelity is high faithfulness to the original.
Anything less, whether more pleasing or not, is lesser fidelity.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #16,360 of 18,459
Quote:
I've just rediscovered my spiky massage ball as a means to alleviate some neck strain (muscular) that I've recently accumulated over the past few days, so I'll probably have the LCD-2 off a day or so when sitting at my computer. But I may just lay back on the floor with it on. 
biggrin.gif

The spiky massage ball and a change of sleeping positing did the trick; the strain is gone and I'm sitting listening to tunes with the LCD-2 again. What a great headphone it is - a musical detail monster if there ever was one. 
o2smile.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #16,361 of 18,459

Quote:
The spiky massage ball and a change of sleeping positing did the trick; the strain is gone  

Wear a motorbike helmet for a few months and strengthen up those neck muscles.   Problem solved.......

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #16,362 of 18,459

Quote:
hmmm..... are LCD-2 the only headphones without graphs with measurements in www.headphone.com ?

They're slacking...  Apparently, they haven't gotten around to posting the measurements on the rev.2 yet. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #16,363 of 18,459
I believe more people are satisfied with the rev.2, and the dissatisfied people are the ones posting here about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Im perfectly content with my Rev 1's If I want to change my sound I change tubes in my amp and roll some new ones in to change the mids or whatever.. I could care less about the Rev 2 I will be eagerly be awaiting the next release by Audeze..

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #16,365 of 18,459
how much better are aftermarket cables with these things? and which ones do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back