Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #16,231 of 18,459
I've not heard the rev.1 so I've refrained from commenting on the comparisons posted. However, I have noted the same changes in my rev.2 that WarriorAnt has described in his. I believe Kingstyles, jax and others have posted similar findings.

It's a shame WA feels compelled to no longer partake in these discussions. A member silenced for merely describing his first hand experience according to his own preferences. And for what? Because some can't accept that others may find improvements in cans they've not even heard themselves? Lame.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #16,232 of 18,459
To change the topic....

Three things.

1. What's with the "SPEAKERS" page on the Audeze website?  Are they going to make speakers now?  Competition for Magnepan?

2. Anybody heard anything about velour / microfiber becoming available for the LCD-2?

3. I see that Audeze has made available the leather headband and different, more flexible cables as accessories.  I think that's really great that they addressed some of the things folks didn't like about the LCD-2. The cable prices are not outrageous, either.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #16,233 of 18,459
To change the topic....

Three things.

1. What's with the "SPEAKERS" page on the Audeze website?  Are they going to make speakers now?  Competition for Magnepan?

2. Anybody heard anything about velour / microfiber becoming available for the LCD-2?

3. I see that Audeze has made available the leather headband and different, more flexible cables as accessories.  I think that's really great that they addressed some of the things folks didn't like about the LCD-2. The cable prices are not outrageous, either.

1. No idea, the speakers section has been there for months
2. Presumably soon available, I hope for Alcantara even if I have no plans of replacing my leather pads.
3. Yep, I like the reasonable price for the cable.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #16,234 of 18,459

Quote:

Either way I've decided not to post about the r.2 or the r.1 any further in the thread.  Seems I make more enemies than friends with my direct style and I guess that tends to grate on some folks.  

I'm a little confused, or maybe I haven't been following this thread closely enough (God knows it's a full time job). I wasn't even aware there was any great conflict, or nothing beyond the ordinary, and now suddenly a major contributor is dropping out for fear of stirring up trouble. Bummer.

WA, I can only say, who gives a rat's rear end whether your style grates on someone else? So long as you maintain normal respect and politeness, it's up to others how they take you and whether they get uptight. I've stirred up plenty of ruckuses on these threads, never deliberately but simply because my ideas don't always tally with the mainstream, and if I've made enemies too bad, because I certainly won't be changing my views nor ceasing to post here just to avoid doing so. This forum, like any other, thrives on diversity, and a forum of people all agreeing with each other is no forum at all. So what if there's a bit of aggro here and there? Let's be realistic: no exchange of views on any topic is ever going to proceed without a little conflict, and it would a pity if the most lucid and frank contributors were driven out for fear of upsetting those who can't stand conflicting views to thier own. Keep posting, I say, because we can't afford to lose you.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #16,236 of 18,459
The best is of course to have the equioment being compared at hand at the same time.

However, and this is to credit your statement below; I think many users on this forum to some extent compare equipment they currently own to equipment they owned in the past. There's quite a lot of that actually (aka - "Oh, I remember the amp X at the CanJam sounded this, that and the other compared to the Y I currently have back home..."

So, if that was not supposed to be allowed on this forum...I guess there hadn't been so much to post for many people. Why some give you a hard time for doing the same as many, many others do; I don't know. Frankly, I think you should partly ignore the push back and just keep posting your opinions. 

Quote:
I do think that people can tell the differences in gear by preparing themselves to detail the sound of one piece of gear thoroughly and then moving  on to the next piece of gear.  

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #16,237 of 18,459

Quote:
I have followed this thread quite closely and I also read that the general consensus (WA aside) is that the Rev 2 is less musical and thinner in bass. But is it also consnesus that Rev 2 has tighter bass than Rev 1? This I am quite interested to know. 

No such consensus exists.  Sorry.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #16,238 of 18,459
Is there any way to get a rev.2 for little money by giving back the rev.1? After having used them for 10 months, I can affirm without any doubt that I don't particularly like the rev.1. I prefer a brighter sound. I was waiting for the upcoming true ribbon headphones by transmission audio, but if I can get the rev.2 for little money, why not try?

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #16,240 of 18,459

Quote:
Anybody on this please?

Many thx.

I would suggest that the LCD-2 would be overkill for movies.

I have found that the Beyerdynamic DT880 were one of the most comfortable headphones I have owned, and even with the HD800 and LCD-2 available to me, were my go to headphones for movies. They seemed most compatible with the "surround" headphone mode on my receiver as well.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #16,241 of 18,459
For the rev1 I did not perceive any break-in period and I listened to them during the whole process.  During the work week my process of break-in is just playing music for stretches of 6-8 hours when I'm home.  During the weekend I let it run all the time and check in throughout the day to just listen to music.  I had rev1 a month before getting rev2.  Same burn-in procedure for rev2.  I'm not pro or anti burn-in.  If I notice something then I notice something.  Rev2 definitely changed over time.  Rev1 didn't.  When I posted my review of rev1 vs rev2 I didn't give rev2 more than 12 hours of burn-in + 48 hours at Audeze.  My rev1 also received that same 48 hours of burn-in at Audeze.    I was thinking since rev1 didn't change much over time then rev2 wouldn't need any additional time either to "mature". 

So, pyscho-acoustically adjusting can be real I suppose but I was expecting one thing (no changes over time) and got another thing which makes me believe the actual change was not just mental but in the headphone.  No changes in my equipment chain and I listened to a lot of the same material.  Not saying this is scientific but my experiences plus those of another half dozen strangers makes me think there is a rev2 burn-in period.  The change is not dramatic but subtle and welcomed.  Is it becoming more Rev1-like after the burn-in?  Maybe a little.  I think it is a bit smoother at the edges and the bass was a little less tight.  Hard to quantify.    

I think the majority of people here welcome WA's opinions.  Some good jabs taken, some for just fun and kicks.  Like anything, we focus on the negative opinions.  And they do add up.  He's better at describing sound than most of us.  I know a bit more about his background and his opinions do not come from anything other than the love of sound and years of experience in the field of sound and with leaders in this audiophile world.  I'm learning a lot from WA and you guys about what makes a good listening set-up.  Hopefully WA returns.  

...they also said the world was flat so before discounting any opinion one must remember their own could be wrong
tongue_smile.gif
.  I expect to be wrong 50% of the time 
tongue.gif
We learn from mistakes, our own and others.  There are few mistakes in listening to the LCDs with good music.  With that said, enjoy your LCDs this weekend!  

Quote:
WA, have you considered the possibility that your brain could be psycho-acoustically adjusting to the sound of the rev.2?

I have found that break-in with headphones is usually do to that as much as to the headphone itself physically changing.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #16,242 of 18,459
I also can't agree with the "consensus". Also I don't really think "thin" or "hot" can be used in describing this.

Keep on posting Warriorant. Your descriptions are spot on. I also could send a subtle shift during the first 30 hours. I went back and listened to the album I first used and could sense it in the vocals.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #16,245 of 18,459
So thanks to Jude's post last night, I jumped and picked up a pair of r2s today. They should be here on Monday (thanks to Headroom's fast shipping). I'll post my 2 cents when they arrive.

I plan to keep the one I prefer and sell the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back