Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #15,796 of 18,459

Quote:
The adjustment is via spring loaded ball bearing detent on the vertical yoke adjustment rods.

detent... sweet! i learned a new word :)

that's a much better solution than a screw.

thanks for the detailed answer!

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #15,797 of 18,459
Hey guys, 

Do any of you know how an r1 recable, say with an ALO Chain Mail cable, compares with the sound of the r2 with stock cable?

As I've listening with the r2, I've heard a grainy sound with vocals when vocalists sing loudly. Also some other instruments sound more thinner sounding than 'natural' than they did with the r1, which seems to sound give instruments more realistic body, if still being a little short in treble extension.

It'll be interesting to hear how the r2 changes with burn-in, and am also wondering if my ideal LCD-2 may be the r1. with a recable and/or EQ'ing.

Thank you.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #15,798 of 18,459

Quote:
does the headband lock into place with a screwdriver? Do these headphones need to adjusted every time someone with a different sized head listens to them?

With this beautifully crafted, old-world, Spanish device you can adjust the actual heads, and never have to fiddle with those pesky screws again. It will require a second person to implement this tweak. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #15,800 of 18,459

Quote:
With this beautifully crafted, old-world, Spanish device you can adjust the actual heads, and never have to fiddle with those pesky screws again. It will require a second person to implement this tweak. 

****, i've noticed a fair amount of sass on this thread! Keep it up. 
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #15,801 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey guys, 

Do any of you know how an r1 recable, say with an ALO Chain Mail cable, compares with the sound of the r2 with stock cable?

As I've listening with the r2, I've heard a grainy sound with vocals when vocalists sing loudly. Also some other instruments sound more thinner sounding than 'natural' than they did with the r1, which seems to sound give instruments more realistic body, if still being a little short in treble extension.

It'll be interesting to hear how the r2 changes with burn-in, and am also wondering if my ideal LCD-2 may be the r1. with a recable and/or EQ'ing.

Thank you.

I've had some experience with aftermarket cables and the r.1, but have not played around enough with the r.2 to comment.  With the r.1 both the Norse and ALO cables (both 8-conductor copper versions) sounded clearly better than the stock (version 1) cable.  For lack of a better way to describe it, both aftermarket cables seemed to just let the music flow more freely - going from the stock to the aftermarket seemed like having a more open conduit...more air around the instruments and a sense of more spaciousness and less confinement.  I would opine that the ALO was marginally better than the Norse, but also IMO, not to the degree that might justify the difference in their retail prices. That, of course, is entirely a matter of opinion. Again, this is with the Rev.1 - I have not done this same comparison with the Rev.2.  You can't go wrong with either, but the Norse will offer more bang for only a modest investment, IMO.  At some point I'll try to compare the two with the r.2, but I could not do that comparing to stock, since both my ALO and Norse 8 are balanced, and the stock cord I have from Audeze is single-ended, so it would be an unfair comparison.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #15,803 of 18,459

"* i have less than 10 hrs. on the rev. 2 but can't imagine burn-in being significant considering the

non-rigid, flexible diaphragm being suspended between two magnets. it's a different story for

coil-driven dynamic phones where the diaphragm holding the coil is rigid, hence burn-in may

or may not contribute to the loosening of the vibrating diaphragm and sound."

I have the rev. 1  with a build date of 11/10 which was before the driver problems came up. These

did't have as long a burn in at the factory as the later R1's and the R2's. I did notice a considerable

change with burn in. They opened up considerably, especially in the midrange and upper mids. Response

evened out too. I've noticed that I have gradually backed away from eq specificly in the 4k and 8k

bands. Now I often listen with no eq at all. (Although I believe eq can help most headphones to some

degree, the LCD-2's have a much smoother response than most phones i.e. NOT peaky! which allows

me to tweak the sound with individual recordings with very good results. The idea is to go really easy

on the eq to avoid a too forward hyped sound.)

As far as ortho technology requiring burnin, I have had experience with speakers like Magnapans and also

Martin logan's. I have found that they really do require some time to come alive. I believe that the 

mylar diaphram on planars stretch to a certain degree with use giving fuller bass and a less 'up-tight'

sound than when new.

I don't have any experience with the r2's so I will have to take the word of those on this forum who do

and go with their 200hr + recomendation for break in.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #15,804 of 18,459

Quote:
Interesting question.

I don't think it's that much more challenging to perform wearing earplugs, unless they obscure the sound of the music to the extent that I can't hear what's happening onstage. When that happens, it causes me to strain to hear and takes me out of the moment. The main reason I wear earplugs is to protect my hearing. 

When I play a drumset for a few minutes without earplugs, even at a moderately medium-quiet volume, I can feel slight pain in my ears; when I play drums with earplugs in, I experience little-to-no hearing pain. I prefer to keep my hearing intact as much as I can.

I've been using the Etymotic/ACS-type custom fitted ear plugs for years, and it's one of the best investments I've yet made. I never leave home without a pair and definitely recommend them to all musicians, concert-goers, or even anyone who wants to experience more peace and quiet.

If the 3 types of attenuating filters available with the Musicians Earplugs - 9db, 15db, and 25db - I have the 9db and 15db, and the overall effect is like turning down the sound on a radio. The different filters attenuate noise in different ways, as shown on the chart near the bottom of the above link.* The 15 db filters make music sound warm and more visceral feeling, and I find them pleasing to wear when playing drums. These days, I mostly use the 9db filters unless playing at a level that would leave my ears ringing after using them, in which case I use the 15db filters.

I also recently tried the standard fit ER20 series plugs, which cost substantially less than the Musician's plugs. I recently compared the ER20 and musician's plugs briefly: the ER20 sound similar to the effect of the Musicians Earplugs, but the ER20 feel more scratchy physically and less comfortable than the custom plugs, which I often forget I'm wearing after a musical performance.

I did not know any of these types of earplugs were on the market.  I wonder if they would have helped me when I was editing broadcast television a zillion hours each day. By the end of the day the rewinding and fast forwarding of the material really would wear me down.

One thing I do once in a while is to use  those cheap malleable foam earplugs in my ears to block out all sounds and hear nothing.  I might do that for a number of hours sometimes when no one in my household will be home.  It is an interesting break from the world of sound.  It also helps me distinguish the sounds of the real world from those voices in my head. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #15,805 of 18,459

Quote:
I have searched but to no avail, can anyone help please.

Contact Trevor, who owns Norse Audio, and remind him to get his butt in gear in getting his website live - you can tell him Jax said as much .  I'm sure he's doing his best actually, but man he must be losing a lot of business by lagging this long on going live.  There are probably a whole lot of kinks to work out in getting a business like that going, much less getting a functional ecommerce site up.  He is TigzStudio here on headfi and you should be able to follow my link to PM him.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #15,806 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

That is awesome.  I can imagine a montage of you and your Audez'e in bed, at the beach, at the beach riding horses, spelunking, and more.  

Incidentally, how are the HE-500s on the Izzy?

They sound like HE-500's.  Not as good as the LCD-2's on most of what I listen to, but very nice on Classical. Good punch, but that's not lacking on the Lyr, which is usually where you'll find the HE-500's.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #15,807 of 18,459

Quote:
I have searched but to no avail, can anyone help please.

e-mail him at Trevor Goldman <norseaudio@gmail.com>

Worth the effort.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #15,808 of 18,459

Quote:
Contact Trevor, who owns Norse Audio, and remind him to get his butt in gear in getting his website live - you can tell him Jax said as much .  I'm sure he's doing his best actually, but man he must be losing a lot of business by lagging this long on going live.  There are probably a whole lot of kinks to work out in getting a business like that going, much less getting a functional ecommerce site up.  He is TigzStudio here on headfi and you should be able to follow my link to PM him.

Quote:

Worth the effort.

Thank you very much.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #15,809 of 18,459

Quote:

Worth the effort.

Hey Leesure

Did you ever get a chance to hear the regular single ended Isabellina HPA?

Also, I noticed you use your ipad as a transport... I've been doing the same thing after I got one a couple weeks ago and I'm starting to think that it sounds better (?) than using my computer as a transport (HP desktop using iTunes). You notice anything similar?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #15,810 of 18,459
Well, after much dithering around I finally set down to see if I was a victim of hype or if this is as good as everyone says.

First I had to spend several hours making up my mind on what I wanted to test them on. I finally decided might as well go to vinyl, my main listening choice

Mucic Hall MMF 7.1 W Goldring G2400 cartridge/PS Audio GCPH stage/RSA SR-71b to balanced.

What the heck, threw a mint copy of Jesus Christ Superstar on.

I was there!.

I witnessed the crowd turning on Christ.

Remember Caesar.  You have a duty To keep the peace, so crucify him! Remember Caesar. You'll be demoted .You'll be deported. Crucify him!
 "" 
I mean I  right there next to Pilate when he washed his hands and sentenced Jesus to death!

"Don't let me stop your great self-destruction. Die if you want to, you misguided martyr.I wash my hands of your demolition. Die if you want to you innocent puppet!"

I could sense his frustration, his fear of the crowd, everything.

This **** thing caused goosebumps, It has been a long time since I experienced that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back