Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #15,781 of 18,459
Quote:
I had to stop going to amplified concerts a while back.  They were just getting unimaginably loud.  I had to walk out of a Tom Waits performance 1/3 the way through because the sound system was beyond loud even with my fingers in my ears.  He never use to perform that way but the sound guys get a hold of things and it gets out of control.    It's just not worth it sometimes.  As a performer is it hard to perform with earplugs?     

Interesting question.

I don't think it's that much more challenging to perform wearing earplugs, unless they obscure the sound of the music to the extent that I can't hear what's happening onstage. When that happens, it causes me to strain to hear and takes me out of the moment. The main reason I wear earplugs is to protect my hearing. 

When I play a drumset for a few minutes without earplugs, even at a moderately medium-quiet volume, I can feel slight pain in my ears; when I play drums with earplugs in, I experience little-to-no hearing pain. I prefer to keep my hearing intact as much as I can.

I've been using the Etymotic/ACS-type custom fitted ear plugs for years, and it's one of the best investments I've yet made. I never leave home without a pair and definitely recommend them to all musicians, concert-goers, or even anyone who wants to experience more peace and quiet.

If the 3 types of attenuating filters available with the Musicians Earplugs - 9db, 15db, and 25db - I have the 9db and 15db, and the overall effect is like turning down the sound on a radio. The different filters attenuate noise in different ways, as shown on the chart near the bottom of the above link.* The 15 db filters make music sound warm and more visceral feeling, and I find them pleasing to wear when playing drums. These days, I mostly use the 9db filters unless playing at a level that would leave my ears ringing after using them, in which case I use the 15db filters.

I also recently tried the standard fit ER20 series plugs, which cost substantially less than the Musician's plugs. I recently compared the ER20 and musician's plugs briefly: the ER20 sound similar to the effect of the Musicians Earplugs, but the ER20 feel more scratchy physically and less comfortable than the custom plugs, which I often forget I'm wearing after a musical performance.

* I just noticed how similar the noise attentuation of the 15db filters is to the LCD-2 frequency response chart. Interesting.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #15,782 of 18,459

Quote:
All this talk about burning in your new manilla envelope....  Rather inflammatory, don't you think?

Yeah, who started that anyway?  I have a better suggestion for those of you fed up with the claspless manila envelope conspiracy, if you really want to start being heard and make a difference....

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #15,783 of 18,459
LOL!!

Oh man, I stood up when he told me to and headed for the window...  
angry_face.gif
  Then I hit the end of my headphone cord... 
eek.gif
   I wasn't mad anymore after that. 
rolleyes.gif
  I just felt stupid... 
confused_face(1).gif

tongue_smile.gif

ksc75smile.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #15,785 of 18,459

Quote:
There is still some type of movement of the diaphragm.  It is different than coil-driven phones but that doesn't mean they don't break in or burn in to their extent.  

yes, i'm open to the idea that the rev2 sound sig. may change after prolonged break-in. but i'm just not holding my breathe to hear a significant
change due to the fact that the diaphragm is non-rigid in the first place. how much more loose can it get? i'll keep listening for any changes though.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #15,786 of 18,459
Just give it some more time and keep working to bend out the headband.  It will loosen up.  Mine took a couple of weeks.  Try stretching before you put them on.

Hope this helps.

-HK sends

P.S. - Even my Rev.1 metal headband needed time to stretch a bit.

Quote:
So, I got my LCD-2s about 15 days ago (I have the v2's), and for the most part they've been great. I absolutely love them for movies, and for audio I haven't owned anything like them. After researching this thread (and trying to find a solution elsewhere), I think I still need to ask this question.

The pressure that these things cause on my head is almost overwhelming, and it starts to give me a headache after an hour of listening, maybe even less. I don't have a small head, but the way these things fit on me feels like they're very front-heavy, as the pressure near my temples is substantial. To give you an idea, I can stick my index finger in between the back of the headphone earpad and my head almost effortlessly, whereas in the front I have to pry them up.

I've seen the other posts in this long thread with the same problem, and I've tried some of the solutions, including tweaking the headband to bend less-inward (even though it didn't really look like mine was bent inward all that much), adjusting the tension of the metal band, both by hand and by leaving them on a mount that was was a little wider than my head overnight. If it matters at all, I have the leather headband. No matter what I do, these things don't seem to be loosening at all. The metal band is still like an iron grip.

I'm running out of options here, and I really, REALLY don't want to send these back/sell them, but if I can't make them fit me soon, I'm not sure what my options are. Is it possible that they really are just not ideal for my head, or do I just need to be patient and try to break them in?

As you can imagine, this is a pretty frustrating issue. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #15,788 of 18,459
     Quote:
You might have missed my earlier post (copied below).  The reason Audeze quietly went over to the claspless manila envelope was because of the numerous spontaneous clasp-wing failures with the rev. 1 manila clasps.  I don't think you'll see any more clasped manila envelopes coming with an Audeze headphone.  I saw one on the for-sale forums last week but it was snatched up the same day it was posted, at a premium price no less.  I expect rev. 1 manila envelope owners will be hanging onto theirs now with the changeover and corresponding reports here. 

I hope the person who bought my rev.1s doesn't read this, but I swapped my rev.2 envelope and kept my rev.1 metal-clasped one. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I'm a bad man...
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #15,789 of 18,459

Quote:
     Quote:
I hope the person who bought my rev.1s doesn't read this, but I swapped my rev.2 envelope and kept my rev.1 metal-clasped one. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I'm a bad man...
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Does that mean that the FR of the old headphones will become confused now?

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #15,790 of 18,459

Quote:
Yeah, who started that anyway?  I have a better suggestion for those of you fed up with the claspless manila envelope conspiracy, if you really want to start being heard and make a difference....

*SNIP*

We could always bring back the Hamsters...they've been lying low since we hit 1000 pages...

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

They Are Coming...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #15,791 of 18,459
     Quote:
Does that mean that the FR of the old headphones will become confused now?

If it preferred the rev.1 envelope then yes, it will be confused 
blink.gif
  But my rev.2 freq chart seems to love the older envelope (I don't think it and the rev.2 envelope were getting along)... 
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #15,793 of 18,459
And both revisions of the envelope block falling rain equally well.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #15,794 of 18,459
does the headband lock into place with a screwdriver? Do these headphones need to adjusted every time someone with a different sized head listens to them?

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #15,795 of 18,459

Quote:
does the headband lock into place with a screwdriver? Do these headphones need to adjusted every time someone with a different sized head listens to them?

The adjustment is via spring loaded ball bearing detent on the vertical yoke adjustment rods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back