Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #15,766 of 18,459

Quote:
I see, I thought you were missing the intimacy in those situations. So you had rev.2 and went to rev.1?

I prefer the vocals presented by the Rev 1. Can't let go of it. More engaging to me. Won't exchange it for anything else 
o2smile.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #15,767 of 18,459
I feel exactly the same. If i let rev.2 go i will be missing the accoustic sound of it. but nothing can replace the vocals on rev.1 for me:)

Quote:
I prefer the vocals presented by the Rev 1. Can't let go of it. More engaging to me. Won't exchange it for anything else 
o2smile.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #15,768 of 18,459

Quote:
I feel exactly the same. If i let rev.2 go i will be missing the accoustic sound of it. but nothing can replace the vocals on rev.1 for me:)

beerchug.gif

IMHO Rev 1 is unique in that sense. I really hope Audeze will keep the Rev 1 as a parallel model and not discontinue it so as to provide a different choice for Ortho lovers.... no,  for all music lovers. But I guess it's difficult for a small company to maintain production and maintenance for both of them.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #15,770 of 18,459

Quote:
i have the original lcd2 with the stiffer earpads, lettered grills but with angled connector inputs.
compared to the rev. 2, the difference is very much noticeable. these are my impressions and
may differ from others, as can be expected.

original:

superb bass with visceral impact
creamy, liquid mids, very intimate sound sig.
polite/restrained highs
high resolution and transparency. sound change
is very easily detectable with changes in the upstream
components.

rev.2:

tighter, better focused/controlled bass, not as visceral
less liquid/creamy mids, vocals noticeably more distant, less intimate
unrestrained highs, slightly zippy with female vocals at less than 10 hrs*
high resolution and very transparent as mentioned with
the original drivers. seemingly more balanced sound
throughout the freq. range.

soundstage of rev.2 seems bigger but may be due to the
mids being presented farther and less intimate relative to
original driver.

rev.2 seemed less efficient at first but it may've been due to
difference in mids presentation. original drivers present a
relatively forward mid compared to the rev.2 to my ears. thus
i end up raising the volume for rev.2 to match the mids.

* i have less than 10 hrs. on the rev. 2 but can't imagine burn-in being significant considering the
non-rigid, flexible diaphragm being suspended between two magnets. it's a different story for
coil-driven dynamic phones where the diaphragm holding the coil is rigid, hence burn-in may
or may not contribute to the loosening of the vibrating diaphragm and sound.

I am agree with Takezo

Before i have owned LCD 2 rev 1 , i have already sold to my friend

This evening i just received My new LCD 2 rev 2 from Audeze.

Now i listen the music wioth LCD 2 rev 2 about 6 hours.

My Setting are :
Source : Imac 27" with WAV File
Headamp : Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear
DAC : Meier Corda Stage DAC
Headphone : LCD2 rev 2.v2 , T1 and HD 800
USB cable : ACR reference II Silver Cable
RCA cable : ACR Silver cable
Headphone cable : ADZ 5 and Silver Dragon v3 Moon Audio 

Music : Jazz at the pawnshop CD one : I 'm confession

Keith Jarret Still Live  : When I Fall In Love

Both CD's are Live recording

Al Somma : Songs of Innoncence Songs of Experiance

High Endition vol V Blue company : My little angle

My personal impression :

Rev1 : a bit better Mid presentation and more bass

Rev2 : 

High : more oopen and detail 

I can hear the Background at the Pub much better than rev 1

Mid : I must turn the volume a bit louder to get the same Mid presentation like rev 1

Bass : more definition and clean Bass and detail

Soundstaging : wider than rev 1

Sound character like T1 with smooth High ( maybe from Ortho Driver, T 1 is dynamic Driver )

I like very much rev 2 for all rounder music, specialy jazz live music 

this my personal impression

Cheers

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #15,773 of 18,459

LCD-2 revision 2 unboxing photos

It occurred to me that some of you might enjoy what the step-by-step unboxing of an LCD-2 looks like, so here you go. 

o2smile.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #15,774 of 18,459
Dear Windsor

Do you have the new cable adz 6.?

I have still adz 5 for my new LCD 2 rev 2, my serien number is : 5313016

Do you know about the sound different between Adz 5 vs adz 6 ?

If the sound better i will buy the adz 6

Please advise

Thank you and best regards

Rudi

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #15,775 of 18,459
     Quote:
Dear Windsor

Do you have the new cable adz 6.?

I have still adz 5 for my new LCD 2 rev 2, my serien number is : 5313016

Do you know about the sound different between Adz 5 vs adz 6 ?

If the sound better i will buy the adz 6

Please advise

Thank you and best regards

Rudi

Hey Rudi, 

I don't have the ADZ-6 cable with the split, and I haven't heard anything about the difference in sound between it and the ADZ-5 cable, so I can't advise you on how it sounds to me.

Here's what Audez'e recently said about the new cable.

Windsor

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #15,776 of 18,459

Quote:

I often protect my hearing by wearing earplugs that reduce frequency levels when performing music or attending concerts 

I had to stop going to amplified concerts a while back.  They were just getting unimaginably loud.  I had to walk out of a Tom Waits performance 1/3 the way through because the sound system was beyond loud even with my fingers in my ears.  He never use to perform that way but the sound guys get a hold of things and it gets out of control.    It's just not worth it sometimes.  As a performer is it hard to perform with earplugs?     

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #15,777 of 18,459

Quote:

* i have less than 10 hrs. on the rev. 2 but can't imagine burn-in being significant considering the
non-rigid, flexible diaphragm being suspended between two magnets. it's a different story for
coil-driven dynamic phones where the diaphragm holding the coil is rigid, hence burn-in may
or may not contribute to the loosening of the vibrating diaphragm and sound.

There is still some type of movement of the diaphragm.  It is different than coil-driven phones but that doesn't mean they don't break in or burn in to their extent.  

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #15,778 of 18,459
Quote:
One disappointing downgrade - the manilla envelope that came with my Rev 1's had a metal clasp, while the new one just has sticky adhesive. I'm glad I kept the old one. I'll hang onto the new envelope for a while, give it a chance to burn in. Maybe I can get an aftermarket clasp made of 112% oxygen-free clasp metal. But if I still don't like it after 100 hours or so, I'll probably just sell the new envelope on eBay.

You might have missed my earlier post (copied below).  The reason Audeze quietly went over to the claspless manila envelope was because of the numerous spontaneous clasp-wing failures with the rev. 1 manila clasps.  I don't think you'll see any more clasped manila envelopes coming with an Audeze headphone.  I saw one on the for-sale forums last week but it was snatched up the same day it was posted, at a premium price no less.  I expect rev. 1 manila envelope owners will be hanging onto theirs now with the changeover and corresponding reports here. 

Quote:
Just a knee-jerk first impression; the r.2 manila would seem to warrant a new model manila IMHO.  I agree with WA in that regard (at least I think it was WA who posited as much). 

Oh, and I never did post my experience with the r.1 envelope here.  I didn't want to stir the hornets nest of rabid fanboys.  About two months after getting my r.1 manila envelope, well, the picture tells all:

...yes, that's right, the right wing of the clasp spontaneously failed.  I wrote to Alex and Sankar two or three times and they didn't respond to any of my emails.  Needless to say  I was very disappointed in their abysmal customer service in not responding to my query.  I'm sure this must be the reason they've gone to the new manila standard and just are burying that detail in all the celebratory jubilation over the new manila.  I hate to be the whistle blower here, but I feel it is my duty after holding it in for so long.  Let the flaming begin.  I knew I should have gone the extra $4K for the Stax manila envelope.  I hear they use gold clasps.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #15,779 of 18,459
All this talk about burning in your new manilla envelope....  Rather inflammatory, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back