Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 30, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #15,751 of 18,459

Quote:
i have the original lcd2 with the stiffer earpads, lettered grills but with angled connector inputs.
compared to the rev. 2, the difference is very much noticeable. these are my impressions and
may differ from others, as can be expected.

original:

superb bass with visceral impact
creamy, liquid mids, very intimate sound sig.
polite/restrained highs
high resolution and transparency. sound change
is very easily detectable with changes in the upstream
components.

rev.2:

tighter, better focused/controlled bass, not as visceral
less liquid/creamy mids, vocals noticeably more distant, less intimate
unrestrained highs, slightly zippy with female vocals at less than 10 hrs*
high resolution and very transparent as mentioned with
the original drivers. seemingly more balanced sound
throughout the freq. range.

soundstage of rev.2 seems bigger but may be due to the
mids being presented farther and less intimate relative to
original driver.

rev.2 seemed less efficient at first but it may've been due to
difference in mids presentation. original drivers present a
relatively forward mid compared to the rev.2 to my ears. thus
i end up raising the volume for rev.2 to match the mids.

* i have less than 10 hrs. on the rev. 2 but can't imagine burn-in being significant considering the
non-rigid, flexible diaphragm being suspended between two magnets. it's a different story for
coil-driven dynamic phones where the diaphragm holding the coil is rigid, hence burn-in may
or may not contribute to the loosening of the vibrating diaphragm and sound.

Great review
beerchug.gif

Do you prefer one of them now?

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #15,752 of 18,459
I got my LCD-2s in the second wave, so they are originals.  I have not been happy with the performance, but it could be that I have an OTL amp (MPX3 Slam SE).  Yesterday, I tried them and compared them to my speakers (at the same time), esp the highs and mids.  I couldn't hear much difference, which is a good thing, whereas before I could.  My head keeps going round and round about these cans.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #15,753 of 18,459
I believe the cans are actually supposed to go round about your head, so that could be part of the problem
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #15,754 of 18,459

Quote:

You're welcome
smile.gif

There's no compression that I can tell, and my LCD-2 is on there all the time except when they are on my head. The contour of the curve matches perfectly, and there is foam padding on the hanger surface as well so I think that is why compression is not a problem.

I have a bunch of these hangers (actually 6 but I'm only using 3 of them ATM), and they seem to work quite well with every headphone I have tried, they are really very versatile as long as you have a tabletop or shelf to clamp it to. I will probably sell a couple of them off or even give them away at some point as I don't have as many headphones as I used to.

I'll order 2 next week, but if you want to lose (sell) 1 or 2 of yours, let me know 

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #15,755 of 18,459
I hang mine off of a Blue Diamond nuts can which is suspended off a 10c hook from a shelf.  My total investment was $4, and mostly crunchy.  It's exactly the right diameter for the LCD-2's and keeps everything suspended.  The blue and white nuts label is nice contrast to the wood and leather
wink.gif

Unless, of course you're looking for a statement of the woodworkers' art...

hahahaha

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #15,756 of 18,459
I have just received a pair of new pads (Thanks Sankar!) but he has forgotten to send me the instruction video. Since this is a weekend and it will take a while for them to respond, how does one replace the pads? They seem to come with a pair of adhesives for each side. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #15,757 of 18,459

Quote:
I have just received a pair of new pads (Thanks Sankar!) but he has forgotten to send me the instruction video. Since this is a weekend and it will take a while for them to respond, how does one replace the pads? They seem to come with a pair of adhesives for each side. 

You must roast them in an oven at 170 degrees celsius and lather them with a fine layer of butter (any type will do: Goat/Cow/etc). Once you've done this, using a screw driver - make a small opening in the centre of your driver pad (somewhere in the middle, doesn't need to be accurate). 

Once the hole has been made, you can use pliers or another cutting tool to cut open the metal material - at which point you should arrive at the driver itself. Remove the driver and put that in the oven for 20 minutes. 

Let cool for 10 minutes.
Do the same for the opposite side.
 Once this has been completed you can replace the LCD-2 with the new leather pads. Super glue usually works really well.

No thanks needed 

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #15,758 of 18,459

Quote:
So, I got my LCD-2s about 15 days ago (I have the v2's), and for the most part they've been great. I absolutely love them for movies, and for audio I haven't owned anything like them. After researching this thread (and trying to find a solution elsewhere), I think I still need to ask this question.

The pressure that these things cause on my head is almost overwhelming, and it starts to give me a headache after an hour of listening, maybe even less. I don't have a small head, but the way these things fit on me feels like they're very front-heavy, as the pressure near my temples is substantial. To give you an idea, I can stick my index finger in between the back of the headphone earpad and my head almost effortlessly, whereas in the front I have to pry them up.

I've seen the other posts in this long thread with the same problem, and I've tried some of the solutions, including tweaking the headband to bend less-inward (even though it didn't really look like mine was bent inward all that much), adjusting the tension of the metal band, both by hand and by leaving them on a mount that was was a little wider than my head overnight. If it matters at all, I have the leather headband. No matter what I do, these things don't seem to be loosening at all. The metal band is still like an iron grip.

I'm running out of options here, and I really, REALLY don't want to send these back/sell them, but if I can't make them fit me soon, I'm not sure what my options are. Is it possible that they really are just not ideal for my head, or do I just need to be patient and try to break them in?

As you can imagine, this is a pretty frustrating issue. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give.

I had the same problem, it takes time to find the comfortable position and adjustments. Also the pads and headband foam will need some time to break-in.
Endure the pain, wether you think it's worth it or not is up to you
ph34r.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #15,759 of 18,459

Quote:
I've got around 240 hours on my Rev2, but still think I'm in the Rev1 camp - as a personal preference. Even though it is less clear, less focused and doesn't extend as high, it still nails instumental and vocal timbres better than the Rev2 IMO. Also, my pair is more comfortable for me.

Will give the Rev2 another week of burnin... it is certainly an awesome phone. The clarity for acoustic music is better than anything I've heard before. But for some reason the Rev1 gets my toes tapping a bit more.

I wonder if anyone here is using their LCD2 with the Smyth Realiser? I'm thinking of aquiring one and have a hunch that the superior clarity of the Rev2 would be good for the Smyth.

Same notion here when the Rev 2 was with me. Rev 1 is somewhat more "groovy", more "Soulful" whereas Rev 2 is more accurate and precise. I do miss the Rev 2 whenever I listen to live and acoustic recordings, that "you are there with the singer" feel, so real. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #15,760 of 18,459

Quote:
Same notion here when the Rev 2 with me. Rev 1 is somewhat more "groovy", more "Soulful" whereas Rev 2 is more accurate and precise. I do miss the Rev 2 whenever I listen to live and acoustic recordings, that "you are there with the singer" feel, so real. 

Don't you mean it's the rev.1 that you miss in those situations?

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #15,761 of 18,459
I think my rev 2s have crossed the 200 hour burn in mark. Every couple of days I give them a listen. The sound stage just grew and became more pronounced and controlled. And there is a certain airiness and openness in the overall presentation. Literally left them on 24 hours a day attached to my iPad.

Now if only Audeze would send on my upgraded Rev 1s...its been 2 weeks now:frowning2:

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #15,762 of 18,459

Quote:
You must roast them in an oven at 170 degrees celsius and lather them with a fine layer of butter (any type will do: Goat/Cow/etc). Once you've done this, using a screw driver - make a small opening in the centre of your driver pad (somewhere in the middle, doesn't need to be accurate). 

Once the hole has been made, you can use pliers or another cutting tool to cut open the metal material - at which point you should arrive at the driver itself. Remove the driver and put that in the oven for 20 minutes. 

Let cool for 10 minutes.
Do the same for the opposite side.
 Once this has been completed you can replace the LCD-2 with the new leather pads. Super glue usually works really well.

No thanks needed 

I've followed your instructions to the dot and the drivers seem to be making a weird popping sound in the oven. Are they going to be all-right? It has been trouble removing them from the housing since they kind of jumped at you once you released them. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #15,763 of 18,459

Quote:

Don't you mean it's the rev.1 that you miss in those situations?

I meant the Rev 2.  The Rev 2 is more detailed, had an added sense of space between each instrument and wider more precise soundstaging. IMHO This made live and acoustic recordings sound more real.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #15,764 of 18,459
I see, I thought you were missing the intimacy in those situations. So you had rev.2 and went to rev.1?

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #15,765 of 18,459

Quote:

I've followed your instructions to the dot and the drivers seem to be making a weird popping sound in the oven. Are they going to be all-right? It has been trouble removing them from the housing since they kind of jumped at you once you released them. 

Completely normal. I've had this experience myself.

It tends to worsen over time but this is natural. Just remember to let it cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back