Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #14,626 of 18,459
     Quote:
 yeah I saw that earlier in the thread. has anyone had wear issues after a year or so of use though? haven't read about any that have really.  was just curious about how much better a 3rd party leather maintenance product would be over just  normal use with the headphones.

the protection for many leather products are actually meant to protect against environmental damage - sun/water/harmful oils. i don't think normal facial/hair oil falls into that category. in fact, i'm curious as to whether facial oil is actually good for the leather heh.

I e-mailed Alex at Audeze about this a little while back.  He said that he uses Leather CPR on his earpads periodically.  I find that it conditions the leather and removes the human "remnants" that can wear the leather out.  Remember, it's not just skin oils that we are dealing with, but sweat and salt and skin and that will wear the leather out over time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #14,628 of 18,459
I'm sat here listening to David Munyon through my LCD-2 rev.1 playing through a Fiio E7/E9 combo with my MBP, Its is the best I can afford at the moment, but, do you know what? it is the best I have heard so far. When I have saved enough for a more exotic amp/dac combination, I will again marvel at these superb HPs, until then I just really enjoy the music, knowing that there is so much more to come, it doesn't get much better than this.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #14,630 of 18,459
For leather and wood care I would like to recommend Renaissance wax, it is a superb product, if it is good enough for the British museum, it is good enough for me. Has so many other uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #14,631 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm sat here listening to David Munyon through my LCD-2 rev.1 playing through a Fiio E7/E9 combo with my MBP, Its is the best I can afford at the moment, but, do you know what? it is the best I have heard so far. When I have saved enough for a more exotic amp/dac combination, I will again marvel at these superb HPs, until then I just really enjoy the music, knowing that there is so much more to come, it doesn't get much better than this.

I have the same combination, and at two different meet-ups I listened to a ton of different amps and DACs in blind tests.  Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the E9 amp and other expensive amps in a blind test.  I could just barely tell the difference between a very expensive DAC and the E7, by switching it back and forth a bunch of times and concentrating very hard.  Managed to get which was which about 4/5 times in the blind test.  I seriously doubt I would notice it under normal listening conditions.

Just my two cents.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #14,632 of 18,459
is it suitable for use on material that's going to be constantly in contact with your own skin though?

Quote:
For leather and wood care I would like to recommend Renaissance wax, it is a superb product, if it is good enough for the British museum, it is good enough for me. Has so many other uses.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #14,634 of 18,459

Quote:

Good stuff, that.  I use it all the time on many wood products.  Brilliant!

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #14,635 of 18,459

Quote:
is it suitable for use on material that's going to be constantly in contact with your own skin though?

Not appropriate for the leather, just the wood.  CPR seems like it's the right thing for the leather.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #14,636 of 18,459
A question for sound engineers and hearing experts:

Assume the following...

1. You have a pair of headphones that measure perfectly flat across the frequency range.
2. Your source and amp perfectly reproduce the signal fed to them.
3. John's hearing test results show he has perfect hearing across the frequency range with no (normal) progressive attenuation in sensitivity towards the bass end and the treble end.
4. Robert's hearing test results show he has typical (normal) progressive attenuation of sensitivity towards the bass and treble ends of the hearing spectrum.
5. Sam's hearing test results show he has normal hearing from 250hz to 3000 hz, greater than normal hearing loss below 250 hz, greater than normal hearing loss from 4k to 8k hz, and dramatically/progressively reduced hearing from 8k hz and above.

John says, "I don't want to EQ the sound because I want to hear the music as it was intended and recorded."

Robert says, "Hey, wait a second!  I find that if I gently adjust the EQ upwards at both ends of the frequency range, I hear what John hears."

Sam says, "What? Speak up!  Based on my hearing test results, in order for me to hear what those two young whipper snappers are hearing I have to use a lot more EQ, especially at 4k hz and above.

You may have guessed that, "I am Sam, Sam I am." 
gs1000.gif

My hearing test results indicate that all those rock concerts I attended and years of tractor driving on the family farm during my youth has resulted in high frequency tinnitus and significantly greater than normal hearing loss in the upper frequencies.  In fact, I hear nothing above 12k hz and my low frequency perception is weaker than normal from 125 hz to 32 hz.  

I have found that when listening to well known music my perceived LCD2 SQ and "pleasure quotient" is increased by EQ'ing as follows:  

32 hz    +5 dB
64 hz    +3 dB
125 hz   +2 dB
250 hz   +1 dB
500 hz    0 dB
1K hz     0 dB
2k hz     +2 dB
4k hz     +4 dB
8k hz     +8 dB
16k hz    forget about it!  +12 dB results in no perceived change.

Granted, I have not tried this with anything except iTunes' limited EQ.   I plan to try Isone Pro this weekend.  
So, my question is this:  Is my reasoning valid (or 'sound' 
wink_face.gif
), from a hearing perception perspective, that by making these EQ adjustments I am approximating the perception of people with normal hearing who don't need and don't like EQ'ing?   

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #14,637 of 18,459
Quote:
I have the same combination, and at two different meet-ups I listened to a ton of different amps and DACs in blind tests.  Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the E9 amp and other expensive amps in a blind test.  I could just barely tell the difference between a very expensive DAC and the E7, by switching it back and forth a bunch of times and concentrating very hard.  Managed to get which was which about 4/5 times in the blind test.  I seriously doubt I would notice it under normal listening conditions.

Just my two cents.

I have also A/B compared the E7/E9 combo vs both the NuForce HDP and the 160D. Much closer than I expected. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #14,638 of 18,459
Good question, let's hear what the more technical people have to say about EQ compensation.  Another way to put is if distortion or coloration or clipping an issue when you augment the levels.  If that is the case then what you hear is different than what we hear.  But if increasing levels moderately doesn't distort at the frequencies you mentioned then it is very likely you hear what we hear.  

Quote:
Granted, I have not tried this with anything except iTunes' limited EQ.   I plan to try Isone Pro this weekend.  
wink_face.gif
), from a hearing perception perspective, that by making these EQ adjustments I am approximating the perception of people with normal hearing who don't need and don't like EQ'ing?   

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #14,639 of 18,459

Quote:
A question for sound engineers and hearing experts:

Assume the following...

1. You have a pair of headphones that measure perfectly flat across the frequency range.
2. Your source and amp perfectly reproduce the signal fed to them.
3. John's hearing test results show he has perfect hearing across the frequency range with no (normal) progressive attenuation in sensitivity towards the bass end and the treble end.
4. Robert's hearing test results show he has typical (normal) progressive attenuation of sensitivity towards the bass and treble ends of the hearing spectrum.
5. Sam's hearing test results show he has normal hearing from 32hz to 3000 hz, greater than expected hearing loss from 4k to 8k hz, and dramatically/progressively reduced hearing from 8khz and above.

John says, "I don't want to EQ the sound because I want to hear the music as it was intended and recorded."

Robert says, "Hey, wait a second!  I find that if I gently adjust the EQ upwards at both ends of the frequency range, I hear what John hears."

Sam says, "What? Speak up!  Based on my hearing test results, in order for me to hear what those two young whipper snappers are hearing I have to use a lot more EQ, especially at 4k hz and above.

You may have guessed that, "I am Sam, Sam I am." 
gs1000.gif

My hearing test results indicate that all those rock concerts I attended and years of tractor driving on the family farm during my youth has resulted in high frequency tinnitus and significantly greater than normal hearing loss in the upper frequencies.  In fact, I hear nothing above 12k hz and my low frequency perception is weaker than normal, especially below 125 hz.  

I have found that when listening to well known music my perceived LCD2 SQ and "pleasure quotient" is increased by EQ'ing as follows:  

32 hz    +5 dB
64 hz    +3 dB
125 hz   +2 dB
250 hz   +1 dB
500 hz    0 dB
1K hz     0 dB
2k hz     +2 dB
4k hz     +4 dB
8k hz     +8 dB
16k hz    forget about it!  +12 dB results in no perceived change.

wink_face.gif

Your premise #1 is incorrect/impossible, so let's back up and redefine that first.  

Second issue...  If you have lived with your current hearing deficiency for any length of time, that has become your personal "norm."  Deviation from that personal "norm," is just that, a deviation.  If that deviation helps in your personal enjoyment and perception of music, then it is good.  If it sounds good, it is good, on a personal level.

The BEST thing for you personally is to preserve the hearing acuity you have left.  You do this by limiting your exposure to sound levels over 85dBA.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #14,640 of 18,459
Do you guys use a sound meter to measure the levels coming out of your LCD-2?  I'm usually pretty conservative with my playing levels and no ringing yet in my ears, but I've debating whether I should pick up one of these meters.  

Quote:

The BEST thing for you personally is to preserve the hearing acuity you have left.  You do this by limiting your exposure to sound levels over 85dBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back