Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #14,401 of 18,459
Quote:
I spent nearly 3 days of listening before I formed my impression of the r.2.  I took 12 pages of notes while I was listening to material I knew well with the r.1.  The note taking really helped me discern on a verbal level what I was experiencing in the aural realm and also helped with the process to convey a concise communication about my experience so that my impression was not the product of a quick first thought response.   Then after I wrote the impression I went back again to see if my experience had changed and compared notes again.  I only bring this up because I did receive a few PM's questioning the thoroughness and validity of my impressions that seemed predicated on a quick listen.    I respect the forum way too much and the expertise within the community to post something unworked or trivial.  Although most PM's were positive in nature there were a few that seemed borderline hostile.  I was taken by surprise by those responses.   Anyway I guess what I;m trying to say is that my impression was not an off the cuff event but an evolving work over the course of 3 days.   I look forward to hearing what others have found in the upcoming days.    

The work that went behind it did not go unnoticed--you did well.  

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #14,403 of 18,459
What would you guys suggest as a good Source (DAC) for the LCD-2 ?
Currently I got my eye set on the Antelope Audio Zodiac (not the + model) and there is a new DAC from Hagel named HD20 which I read a great review about it.
I remember seeing some comments of LCD-2 owners saying that the Zodiac is a good match for the LCD-2, so it got me wanting to audition it.

Price wise, the Zodiac and the HD20 are almost at the same price here in Israel so they are neck to neck from cost point of view.

Price range is up to $2K I guess.

You can't go wrong with the Zodiac. There was a local meet last week (not related to headphones) blind testing over ten top flight DACs, and in two sessions with different groups of people, the Antelope Zodiac Gold and the EMM Labs flagship consistently got most votes, and the other contestants included the Northstar DAC, Esoteric D07 and Weiss DAC202. Mind you that it was a blind test. Although the non gold version of the Zodiac may be inferior to its big brother, I think it should be fine.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #14,404 of 18,459
Thanks WNBC.
The Wyred 4 Sound Dac-2 looks like a good option, although the competition is tough these days.
The USB input quality is very important for me indeed, as I plan on using "computer as source" system (as it is now).

My only problem with it is that it isn't available in my country to listen, and I got 2 (hopefully) good options I can audition before purchase.

Quote:
WarriorAnt and myself use the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2.  I find it to be excellent.  Detailed enough for me but not cold/analytical.  I haven't had a lot of other DACs (PS Audio DLIII, uDAC-2, HRT II) but it's the best one I've used from top to bottom.  The USB input is almost or as good as any other input on it so if you decide to use it primarily with your computer you won't be disappointed.  Overall, I find the DAC-2 + Lyr + LCD-2 to be a winner.   It may even do better with a balanced AMP but others can speak about that.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #14,405 of 18,459

Quote:
Well, I should have my lcd2 rev2 probably on thursday.

I smell mini meet. 
beerchug.gif

Lots of neat stuff to hear.  Looking forward to what you think of the new drivers.  Also looking forward to hearing them in person some time in the near future.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #14,406 of 18,459

Quote:
I smell mini meet. 
beerchug.gif

Lots of neat stuff to hear.  Looking forward to what you think of the new drivers.  Also looking forward to hearing them in person some time in the near future.

We can do a lcd2 rev1 vs rev2, a lcd2 vs he500, and a LF vs BA. Right there would be enough to keep us occupied for a few hours. Maybe in a couple weeks. I have a couple of business trips in the upcoming weeks.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #14,408 of 18,459

Quote:

We can do a lcd2 rev1 vs rev2, a lcd2 vs he500, and a LF vs BA. Right there would be enough to keep us occupied for a few hours. Maybe in a couple weeks. I have a couple of business trips in the upcoming weeks.

Well, being as crazy impulsive as I am, I actually just ordered another pair of LCD-2s.  Depending on impressions from that, I may or may not sell one down the road.

But we should definitely get together when your business trips wind down.  I'll PM you.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #14,409 of 18,459

I too ordered rev.2 and appreciate the previous posts reviewing the v2 from WA and others.  Mine arrive Thursday.  I have packed up my rev1s as they sold in less than 24 hours of posting a classified so I will likely not A/B and get into that insanity.  I am a little worried about polymer posts versus metal ones.

I listened to my HD650s last night balanced and while they do not do a lot of what the LCD-2 does, I couldn't help but be impressed with their soundstage so I am grateful I have held onto them and hoping to hear an improvement with the LCD-2 v2 soundstage.  It would be nice to know if impressions of the LCD-2 v2 are running balanced or not when folks post.  Thanks.

Quote:
Well, being as crazy impulsive as I am, I actually just ordered another pair of LCD-2s.  Depending on impressions from that, I may or may not sell one down the road.

But we should definitely get together when your business trips wind down.  I'll PM you.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #14,413 of 18,459
I'm posting in attempt to cheer up all the rev1 owners.

After having all those bright, screamy, fatiguing and simply distorted pairs of headphones - listening to the LCD-2 was like curing my ears.
The relaxed smooth sound is all I ever dreamed of.
The exact texture and the intimacy of the sound, flowing like honey - well what else could I ask for?

So no chance in the world I'm replacing those.

Well, for now at least... 
confused_face.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #14,414 of 18,459
I'm now using Ubuntu (a Linux distribution) on my laptop, and dual-booting with Windows 7 on my desktop.  The sound system works properly (unlike Vista and Windows 7), not doing any sort of dynamics compression.  The LCD-2s sound just right out of the Airhead from my desktop's X-Fi through Ubuntu.  No need to EQ, and I'm enjoying having the dynamic range back.  I can still use Rhapsody in my browser, and I can also use the Rhapsody application on a Windows XP Virtual Machine via VirtualBox.

If you use Windows 7 or Vista as your main listening source, and you aren't using ASIO or similar output to bypass the BS dynamic-range compression stuff that is always on (no matter what you set in Windows audio), then use ASIO or consider Ubuntu (or other Linux).  Windows Vista/7 RUIN sound.

edited to add: Don't want to make a new post just about a Linux distribution, but I've started to use Kubuntu now, and KDE is the best desktop environment I've ever used.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #14,415 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, for now at least... 
confused_face.gif

And there's the rub!  LOL

With any luck, you're less trigger happy than I am.  And who knows?  I have some particular tastes in how I like things to sound, so I may very well like my old first run LCD-2's more.  Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back