Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #14,387 of 18,459
kudos to HK_send and kwarth for trying to help resolve the problem. I read all your posts, but for convenience's sake, am not going to multi-quote (just lazy) 

@HK_send, sent you a PM - after looking at the headband I realize my question about you taking it apart was rather silly, but no matter. anyway, was this twist that you mentioned only visible after taking off the headband? or was it apparent even with the headband on? 

I don't think my headband is twisted forward like yours is. it looks normal, but I haven't taken off the headband. I even looked at it using individual eyes to reduce parallax error, and cannot detect any excessive twisting of the headband on either side. the blocks also look almost perfectly perpendicular to the headband so.....

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #14,388 of 18,459

Quote:
Could you give some impressions of the differences in the bass goofyvic?

Cheers

I'm not sure if bass was more extended but Rev 2 have more details in bass. Textures of bass instruments are more define. The most significant difference is speed and transient, it's faster in the Rev2. I thought Marcus Miller's Silver Rain album sounded awesome in Rev1, it's even better on the Rev 2. Simply fascinating!   

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #14,390 of 18,459
You guys are making it tough not to audition and at least hear the rev2.  
I just put in my request.  I will still have my rev1 on hand when it arrives and I will make a decision to keep one over the other or both.
I'll offer a perspective for us unbalanced and single-ended folk.

Quote:
I don't think the vocals took a step back.  Back implies a recess of some sort which has NOT occurred.   If anything vocals sit in the soundstage more naturally and perhaps this may seem to some as not as forward. Either way the magic of female vocals is still there.

Been listening to Luara Marling, Bjork, Katie Melua, Vienna Teng, Martha Tilston, Norah jones, and Patricia Barber all night.   

KingStyles I can't wait till you try out the r.2.  Let me know if you have the same impressions I had.  Listen for  a while and go through some material first.  The more material you go through that you know the more apparent the changes are.  Be careful with your impressions though you may end up getting lots of flames in your mailbox...

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #14,391 of 18,459
Ordered my rev.2 from Simon^^ arriving tmr. I will give you my comparison and impressions then 
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #14,392 of 18,459
What would you guys suggest as a good Source (DAC) for the LCD-2 ?
Currently I got my eye set on the Antelope Audio Zodiac (not the + model) and there is a new DAC from Hagel named HD20 which I read a great review about it.
I remember seeing some comments of LCD-2 owners saying that the Zodiac is a good match for the LCD-2, so it got me wanting to audition it.

Price wise, the Zodiac and the HD20 are almost at the same price here in Israel so they are neck to neck from cost point of view.

Price range is up to $2K I guess.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #14,393 of 18,459
     Quote:
kudos to HK_send and kwarth for trying to help resolve the problem. I read all your posts, but for convenience's sake, am not going to multi-quote (just lazy) 

@HK_send, sent you a PM - after looking at the headband I realize my question about you taking it apart was rather silly, but no matter. anyway, was this twist that you mentioned only visible after taking off the headband? or was it apparent even with the headband on? 

I don't think my headband is twisted forward like yours is. it looks normal, but I haven't taken off the headband. I even looked at it using individual eyes to reduce parallax error, and cannot detect any excessive twisting of the headband on either side. the blocks also look almost perfectly perpendicular to the headband so.....

I didn't notice it until I slipped the metal band out of the leather and inspected it.  To fix it, I just kept stretching and adding a bit of a twist.  Don't try to do it all at once.  I eventually got it to where I am happy.

Be careful of two things:
1. Pulling the metal strap out of the leather is easy, getting it back in requires a little finesse.  You can insert it easily enough but you have to finagle it past the seams and stitching when you are trying to get it out the other side.  I suggest a strong light and a magnifier.
2. Be careful with the polymer blocks.  I was careful when reattaching them but still managed to strip one of the screw holes.

Right now mine fits ok, but time will tell.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #14,394 of 18,459
I got rev1 and will listen to rev2 tonight @ a friend place.
I hope I will prefer rev1.
confused_face_2.gif

Personally I prefer more body in the mid rather than more treble so according to the posts here, I should be happy with rev1.
For me treble and details are fine with rev1. More trebles would be aggressive.
Probably because I listen at a decent volume, too much HF can be fatiguing. Especially if I don't have the physical perception of the music like with speakers....
It's not that I prefer speakers, I think good headphones are incomparable regarding consistency of the time and phase (except muti drivers headphones that definitely mess with the phase)., control of the room, precision, details, separation, low distortion, ... there is no speakers that can rival a pair of good headphones (like these LCD) in these department. But I have to admit that the physical relation with the music is where headphones can't compete with speakers.
But this physical relation has a price. Not only financially but also sonically. And I don't talk about the neighborhood...
So my relation with my headphones is probably more intellectual than physical but what can I say: I LOVE THEM...
L3000.gif

Ops sorry I think I'm off topic now :wink:

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #14,396 of 18,459
i still hv the rev.1 I will hv to compare myself to decide whether I wanna exchange my rev.1.

Quote:
Exchange or another purchase?

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #14,399 of 18,459
WarriorAnt and myself use the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2.  I find it to be excellent.  Detailed enough for me but not cold/analytical.  I haven't had a lot of other DACs (PS Audio DLIII, uDAC-2, HRT II) but it's the best one I've used from top to bottom.  The USB input is almost or as good as any other input on it so if you decide to use it primarily with your computer you won't be disappointed.  Overall, I find the DAC-2 + Lyr + LCD-2 to be a winner.   It may even do better with a balanced AMP but others can speak about that.

Quote:
What would you guys suggest as a good Source (DAC) for the LCD-2 ?
Currently I got my eye set on the Antelope Audio Zodiac (not the + model) and there is a new DAC from Hagel named HD20 which I read a great review about it.
I remember seeing some comments of LCD-2 owners saying that the Zodiac is a good match for the LCD-2, so it got me wanting to audition it.

Price wise, the Zodiac and the HD20 are almost at the same price here in Israel so they are neck to neck from cost point of view.

Price range is up to $2K I guess.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #14,400 of 18,459

Quote:
You guys are making it tough not to audition and at least hear the rev2.  
I just put in my request.  I will still have my rev1 on hand when it arrives and I will make a decision to keep one over the other or both.
I'll offer a perspective for us unbalanced and single-ended folk.

Quote:
Ordered my rev.2 from Simon^^ arriving tmr. I will give you my comparison and impressions then 
L3000.gif

I spent nearly 3 days of listening before I formed my impression of the r.2.  I took 12 pages of notes while I was listening to material I knew well with the r.1.  The note taking really helped me discern on a verbal level what I was experiencing in the aural realm and also helped with the process to convey a concise communication about my experience so that my impression was not the product of a quick first thought response.   Then after I wrote the impression I went back again to see if my experience had changed and compared notes again.  I only bring this up because I did receive a few PM's questioning the thoroughness and validity of my impressions that seemed predicated on a quick listen.    I respect the forum way too much and the expertise within the community to post something unworked or trivial.  Although most PM's were positive in nature there were a few that seemed borderline hostile.  I was taken by surprise by those responses.   Anyway I guess what I;m trying to say is that my impression was not an off the cuff event but an evolving work over the course of 3 days.   I look forward to hearing what others have found in the upcoming days.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back