Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 5, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #13,186 of 18,459
I receive my pair tomorrow. I ordered on the 29th, and am wondering which version I will end up with. It'll be my first really high end headphone. I have had the Senn HD580 coupled with an EMU-0404 for a few years now. Hope the huge jump to the LCD-2s with an Isabellina HPA LFP-V will beat my now gone speaker rig of all Red Wine components and Acoustic Zen Adagios. It's all headphones for me now.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #13,187 of 18,459
I just received a reply from Audeze barely 10 minutes after I emailed them enquiring about which driver mine were. Nice one, Sankar.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #13,188 of 18,459
Just heard back from Alex and Sankar that I have the rev1 drivers.

Sankar explained (and I agree with him) that the sound difference I have experienced is probably down to the faulty driver material on my last pair making the sound the way it was (funnily enough I loved that sound as well!)

So, I am getting to hear what all the original edition ones truly sound like.. Perfect sound signature for me and I see absolutely no need to change for the new one. I am sure it will be wonderful but what I get out of my pair now hits a perfect balance of sound. I have a feeling as has been mentioned earlier that we may have the same thing that the Sony RE10 have had in two slightly different styles of the same phone.

It will be interesting indeed to hear folks thoughts who have both. For me the ones I have give the perfect balance of warmth and detail, I most certainly do not want clones of the HD800's as I found them to be sterile in comparison. Hopefully the new versions continue the similar sound signature of the 1st editions.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #13,190 of 18,459
^ Glad you like 'em Ian! :D

thanks mate. Looking at the graph of mine and the new versions the differences on graph at least are small to non existent so I would imagine the poster who said the sound is not a huge difference is spot on with his thoughts.

Now this is all done I can just relax and get many years of enjoyment out of my phones safe in the knowledge that they went through the 1st revision of extended testing and QC that Audeze implemented at the end of May.
From their Blog.

"Our manufacturing process includes several stages of testing and inspection of raw materials, components, subassemblies and final product. We have changed and revamped our production process and quality processes to do extended tests and quality control in order to catch potential problems like these that are not apparent initially.

Critical component of each transducer is diaphragm. We are now doing an additional 100% visual test on each diaphragm under microscope for uniformity of traces and have very high criteria for approval. Electrical tests are performed for circuit continuity and impedance matching. We have also added an extended very high power test to eliminate potentially bad circuits.

Normally assembled transducers are being tested for frequency response and distortion. Measurements are performed in IEC Baffle. At this stage we match transducer pairs for sensitivity and frequency response within +/-0.5dB.

For final testing we have added high power tests with sine tones with average SPL over 120dB.

Assembled headphones are being measured with Neumann KU 100 Artificial Head for Frequency Response and Distortion. Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB. We continue to stand behind our driver and will offer full warranty, repair and replacement for any headphone issue. We are quite confident these additional tests will ensure that these issues do not occur again. We have worked with our suppliers to completely eliminate this issue in future."

Oh yes, Kudos to Sankar and Alex for working so late!

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #13,191 of 18,459

Quote:
I just received a reply from Audeze barely 10 minutes after I emailed them enquiring about which driver mine were. Nice one, Sankar.

I just got a reply now too, only difference is the original email was 2 days ago. 
wink.gif

So, my drivers are confirmed Rev. 1's and I thought I would post my graph as a reference.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #13,193 of 18,459
Sankar was nice enough to return my email. Yes mine are the rev2 and for what its worth they sound great though I haven't heard revision 1s. My graph a few pages back looks extremely close to the older ones. I think folks are overreacting. If you were already extremely happy with your phones and a minor upgrade took place then I don't think it is worth the fuss. Anyhow the rev1 phones will sell really well if you want to get the new ones. Perhaps the sound signature of the rev1 will become highly sought after a time and they will go up in value. It seems like a win win scenario. No one except the Audeze guys have done an A-B comparison so time will tell. I would be thrilled if they improved even more next year if it is possible. FYI mine do not sound bright IMHO.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #13,194 of 18,459
Of course Audeze said that the new drivers are better, they wouldn't say they're worse, even of they were. The decision to change drivers was due to a reliability issue on the old drivers, a change was necessary, because the new driver sounds a bit different, they needed to communicate about the new driver, the only choice is to say it's better.

I'll wait for Tyll's review before jumping the gun. What I don't like about the measures he published is that the new drivers seem to have a slightly increased distortion and that the match between the 2 channels on the new headphones doesn't seem as tight as with the old ones.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #13,195 of 18,459

Quote:
I just got a reply now too, only difference is the original email was 2 days ago. 
wink.gif

So, my drivers are confirmed Rev. 1's and I thought I would post my graph as a reference.

Mine is definitely Rev 1, bought in mid May.  Happy with it, no urgency in replacing it with the Rev 2.  Here is my graph:

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #13,196 of 18,459
5312403 = 2.0. Purchased on the 30th June and have been offered a free replacement for the 2.1 set.

I love these cans, so I'm torn at the moment. I've asked Sankar if the increase in treble has detracted from the LCD-2 house sound/warmth. If the 2.1s are indeed a tweak, then I'd be happy to change. If they have become analytical, I'd rather stay with the 2.0s, which are already an amazing headphone.

The stock graphs, although similar looking, will not showcase the said changes in 3D/imaging/soundstage, as they are sonic attributes rather than frequency measurements. We need some experienced ears to perform an A/B :¬)

Interested to hear WA's opinion, years in the music production yields a keen ear, especially with favoured songs. Does Tyll even have revision 2.1?

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #13,197 of 18,459
Since they are not selling two versions right? Rev.1 is discontinous?

OK. Watch out for:

1. ppl complaining and throwing flame on 1st version abt how it doesnt sound as good as Rev.2

2. ppl regret they sell the Rev.1 and got that rev.2 which they are not fully satisfied with.

3. look ppl in two clubs argue with each other (when no one even has heard of the other version)

hahaha. maybe nothing has changed, the company added that treble graph for sales (although I dun think they will do that).^^

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #13,198 of 18,459
There seem to be no real differences in tonal balance between old driver with new ear pads and new driver...going by the graphs, they're almost identical.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #13,199 of 18,459
I'm speechless.

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people trying to comfort one another as a way of relaxing themselves.  Seriously guys, the new driver IS better.  Audez'e said it so them selves. Mabe it's not the SAME exact sound that you Grew to love but might i also add the simple fact that the Ver1 driver was a sound that you had never heard from another headphone.  Now they have the VER2 and say it's better. They obviously liked the same sound that you guys heard on the first version.  They didn't settle with something less.  They gave you the best.  So i guess you can take it one way or the other.  
Maybe the new driver isn't for everyone.  You'll never know if you don't try it yourself.  
Maybe the new driver, just has that little hint of extra goodness. I'm sure that will keep some of you from getting to sleep tonight.
I don't even have any headphones so you guys are all better off than me :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #13,200 of 18,459

I figured out a great way to ride the fence in the upcoming fragmentation cold war. Rev2 driver BUT no leather headband. 
wink_face.gif

I love you, LCD-2, One and all revisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back