Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #12,901 of 18,459
Jul 1, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #12,902 of 18,459

Quote:
The improvements over regular dynamic cans don't jump out at you, but creep up on you. They aren't showy cans with pronounced bass or peaky treble, for example, so their capabilities aren't shouted out always. Also, the real magic starts once they have a serious source and amp behind them.

You must be reading my mail.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #12,904 of 18,459
Quote:

x5.

I was auditioning both the HD650 and LCD-2 for a week. Countless A/B tests. The HD650 went back without hesitation, the LCD-2s are simply fantastic. Well worth the price difference, in my opinion.

The difference between tested DACS (Mini-I, Rega, Icon HDP & 160D) were much less prominent on the other hand.

Cash to spend - get the best cans you can ;¬)

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #12,906 of 18,459
I have two pairs of LCD-2s with me.

1. Supplier loaner, hundreds of hours on them
2. My new pair, with 40 minutes on them (freq. graph dated May 2011)

They sound identical 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #12,909 of 18,459
Jul 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #12,911 of 18,459
Quote:
so are they worth the extra money over HD650?

I can't answer that for you. 
wink_face.gif

My suggestion would be for you to try them and see. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

''or would you prefer to listen to both?''

I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to listen to them both now. When comparing the LCD-2 and HD 650, I seem to mostly prefer the LCD-2 and certainly don't think there's much wrong with either; they're both very enjoyable.

There have been times when I've noticed myself wishing the HD 650 soundstage was narrower. e.g. when hearing wide-panned drums on studio recordings. For that reason I've preferred to listen with a narrower-soundstage headphone, such as the HD 600, to put me more at a distance from the music, as if I was sitting further away from studio monitor speakers or a stage. But the wider soundstage of the HD 650 can also be also very enjoyable, as if being right in the middle of the music, closer to the front of the stage. The LCD-2 soundstage, whilst narrower is very enjoyable to me.

I'd most probably prefer the LCD-2 if I had to pick one. It's a great headphone and doesn't get in the way of music, unless I analyse the sound signature...

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #12,912 of 18,459
Quote:
The improvements over regular dynamic cans don't jump out at you, but creep up on you. They aren't showy cans with pronounced bass or peaky treble, for example, so their capabilities aren't shouted out always. Also, the real magic starts once they have a serious source and amp behind them.

For me the music comes first and I really enjoy headphones that get out of the way of the music, and I really enjoy music more when I get out of the way of the headphones. I find that both the HD 650 and LCD-2 get out of the recording's way, but the LCD-2 just seems to reveal extra details that seem make the experience more intriguing.

Re. what you said about a source and amp, I'm currently using the LCD-2 with a Lavry DA 10, which from what I've read I seem to have a fairly accurate source, and for me music is sounding really enjoyable with that and the LCD-2. What kind of differences do you reckon upgrading the amp (and possibly source) would bring in relation to an iTunes-Lavry-headphone rig?

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #12,913 of 18,459
Jul 2, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #12,914 of 18,459
That is an extensive review. Read German in school but not sure I will be able to interpret that. Been so long ago and never been that talented with languages anyway :wink:

Nice review I noticed that they have the polymer blocks on the LCD-2's I have both and have the machined aluminum blocks on the LCD-2's they look so much more steampunk.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #12,915 of 18,459
Quote:
Nice review I noticed that they have the polymer blocks on the LCD-2's I have both and have the machined aluminum blocks on the LCD-2's they look so much more steampunk.

Well spotted, and agreed, the metal blocks look much cleaner :¬)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back