Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #12,722 of 18,459

My replacements arrive tomorrow too (left driver). I first contacted Audeze on the 15th

Getting my replacement LCD-2's in the mail tomorrow! For reference I contacted Audeze on Thursday, June 2.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #12,723 of 18,459
congrats to those who are getting the replacements this week. I am loving mine!

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #12,724 of 18,459
Is the automatic shipping estimator in the new Audez'e online store accurate? I want to buy a pair of the new pads since mine is of the older version and they have compressed unevenly over the course of the past 6 months but a shipping price of $50 seems a bit exorbitant for a $80 item...

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #12,725 of 18,459

Quote:
Is the automatic shipping estimator in the new Audez'e online store accurate? I want to buy a pair of the new pads since mine is of the older version and they have compressed unevenly over the course of the past 6 months but a shipping price of $50 seems a bit exorbitant for a $80 item...

50 dollars would cover headphones. Pads would cost around 8 dollars or so. I would email them about the price. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #12,726 of 18,459
This has probably been asked 100's of times, but I really don't have time to read 850 pages. Is there anything around the $500 mark that would suffice with the LCD-2's? I currently have a Headroom Portable Micro Amp (with DAC) which I'm guessing is not going to cut it.

Also, which headphone would you choose out of the LCD-2 and HE-500 (has anyone done comparisons?)

Lastly, does anyone know where in Beijing I would be able to audition Hifiman/Audeze gear?

Cheers
Phil

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #12,727 of 18,459
There's stuff for $200 that suffice with the LCD2s. It's all a matter of how picky you are. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #12,729 of 18,459

Quote:
This has probably been asked 100's of times, but I really don't have time to read 850 pages. Is there anything around the $500 mark that would suffice with the LCD-2's? I currently have a Headroom Portable Micro Amp (with DAC) which I'm guessing is not going to cut it.

Also, which headphone would you choose out of the LCD-2 and HE-500 (has anyone done comparisons?)

Lastly, does anyone know where in Beijing I would be able to audition Hifiman/Audeze gear?

Cheers
Phil

I used my Matrix M-Stage with my LCD-2s and I quite liked the pairing. It's even below your budget 

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #12,730 of 18,459
You can drive LCD-2 through the HR PMA and they will sound pretty good... not as good as through many other amps, but it's doable. I have a PMA that I've replaced with the TTVJ Slim (+CLAS) in my portable rig. Basically, the PMA gives what I would call a bigger but more muddled sound than my current portable setup. I prefer the Slim's tighter bass and lower midrange, plus it is quite a bit smaller than the PMA: my iPod Classic>CLAS>TTVJ Slim makes for a small enough bundle to stay reasonably portable (all of it plus interconnects and two pairs of IEMs fit comfortably into a Pelican 1120).

That being said, portable amplification is a big compromise IMO. I don't get the "oh wow" experience listening to my LCD-2 through various portable rigs that I do when listening to them on a desktop setup. One popular answer to your $500.00 query would be the Schiit Lyr. Good luck in your quest.

Quote:

Cheers
Phil

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #12,731 of 18,459
I find the Stepdance has wonderful synergy with the LCD's and is well below your budget. Try hunting out the first generation one as it is a little cheaper!

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #12,733 of 18,459

Quote:
Right now I am using a Hytron 5U4G and Sylvania 6DE7's.  I've been listening for the last couple hours - really sounds good.  Definitely a better match for the LCD-2 than the Decware CSP-2 is - the Decware is a great amp, but the high-ish output impedance just isn't ideal for the LCD-2.  The WA6 seems to be a much better match.  I'm really impressed how good they sound together.

I just bought a Hytron 5U4G off eBay.  How does this compare to the Tung Sol that I can never find?  I already have Sylvania 6DE7, as well as RCA and GE.  Plus I have some 6FD7 from Woo that I haven't tried yet.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #12,734 of 18,459

Quote:

Cheers
Phil

The HDP is a good match for the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 are more efficient and I'll listen with the volume at 11-12 o'clock vs 1:30-2:00 o'clock for the HE-500 (3-4 o'clock with HE-500 is quite loud though).  With a Sigma 11 PSU the HDP amp sounds much more transparent and spacious, and more balanced sounding rather than slightly aggressive.  So although with the stock PSU I prefer the LCD-2, with the Sigma 11 PSU the HE-500 almost catch up.  However, with my Eddie Current ZDT I think the HE-500 pull ahead.  Note - the HDP with Sigma 11 PSU comes very close to the DACmini performance, but not with the stock PSU.  Regardless, the comfort of the HE-500 is better for me.

I'll try them later with my Portable Micro Amp and report back.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #12,735 of 18,459

Quote:
I just bought a Hytron 5U4G off eBay.  How does this compare to the Tung Sol that I can never find?  I already have Sylvania 6DE7, as well as RCA and GE.  Plus I have some 6FD7 from Woo that I haven't tried yet.

Really nice tubes!  I use a Hytron 5U4G in my WA6.  Very nice tube.  Just as good as the Tung-Sol IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back