Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #12,511 of 18,459
I love my Shure SE535.  I'm going to order a P to S 75ohm adapter cable for my ER4P and try it with my Dacmini. I like the treble from the Ety but find it too lean compared to the rich, fast bass and lush mids from the 535. The Ety has awful cable microphonics compared to the near-silent Shure.  Both isolate great.

I have not heard the Copper or MDT, but would like to.  I have the Turbine but find the bass too boomy and its physical weight/comfort inferior to the the Ety and Shure.

I use my LCD2 at home/office and 535 in bed or on the road.

Quote:
Is there an IEM that is the equivalent of the LCD-2?  I'm looking forward to getting the LCD's later this year and am also in the market for some IEM's for my daily commute.  I would like something that will sound great while I'm out and about.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #12,512 of 18,459
Honestly. I have both the SE535 and Etymotic ER4P and neither sounds close to the LCD-2 to me; even when I drive the LCD-2 with my portable rig, they have more detail and tighter bass and lower midrange than the Shures, and richer bass/midrange than the Etymotic. (Please note that I do not speak "audiophile" so my descriptions are only my attempt at shorthand for what I'm hearing). I agree that the Monsters are boomy, and to me sound muddled.

So my short answer to the original question would be that I haven't heard an IEM that approaches the LCD-2 sound, but then I haven't heard every IEM out there. What I would say is that while the SE535 does provide a closer facsimile than the Etymotic, it is a faint reproduction at best.

Incidentally, when traveling I utilize IEMs if I need isolation, but the Audez'e travel well in their hard case and sound great through a decent portable rig.

As always, just my ears & etc.

Quote:
I love my Shure SE535.  I'm going to order a P to S 75ohm adapter cable for my ER4P and try it with my Dacmini. I like the treble from the Ety but find it too lean compared to the rich, fast bass and lush mids from the 535. The Ety has awful cable microphonics compared to the near-silent Shure.  Both isolate great.

I have not heard the Copper or MDT, but would like to.  I have the Turbine but find the bass too boomy and its physical weight/comfort inferior to the the Ety and Shure.

I use my LCD2 at home/office and 535 in bed or on the road.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #12,514 of 18,459
I wish Audeze or HifiMan come out with portable version of orthos like what Beyerdynamic did for their T1. Or something like Stax SR-001/003 :-D

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #12,515 of 18,459

Quote:
That would be due to their ruler flat frequency response from 20Hz up to 1kHz.
biggrin.gif

Ah! So that's what it is! I had all sorts of theories; driver composition, density, technology etc. So many other phones, when the bass really starts shaking, the mids start to get cloudy. Even my old standbys the AD2000s were subject to the effect (with a stax 507 and lcd2 in the house now packed away and collecting dust). Makes sense really. The LCD2s are just great. Like a subwoofer in ones head, to steal a phrase that's been used on head-fi before. It's great when the bass guitar starts detonating way down low on the scale to still have clear vocals and that nice sharp attack of back beat played by the rhythm guitar on reggae. Cheers man. Don't melt in T.O. these days. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #12,516 of 18,459

Quote:
Honestly. I have both the SE535 and Etymotic ER4P and neither sounds close to the LCD-2 to me; even when I drive the LCD-2 with my portable rig, they have more detail and tighter bass and lower midrange than the Shures, and richer bass/midrange than the Etymotic. (Please note that I do not speak "audiophile" so my descriptions are only my attempt at shorthand for what I'm hearing). I agree that the Monsters are boomy, and to me sound muddled.

So my short answer to the original question would be that I haven't heard an IEM that approaches the LCD-2 sound, but then I haven't heard every IEM out there. What I would say is that while the SE535 does provide a closer facsimile than the Etymotic, it is a faint reproduction at best.

Incidentally, when traveling I utilize IEMs if I need isolation, but the Audez'e travel well in their hard case and sound great through a decent portable rig.

As always, just my ears & etc.

Sorry, I was not clear.  Not equivalent to LCD2 but the 535 isI as close as I've come to date.  I have not tried any custom IEM's.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #12,522 of 18,459

Anybody have some price info on this?  I couldn't find it on the US dealers listed on Red Wine's site.
Quote:
This should be interesting:

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #12,524 of 18,459

Users who are viewing this thread

Back