Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #12,391 of 18,459
what is the serial number of your LCD?

They addressed this on their update, apparently there is no correlation between serial numbers and batch problems. How are your new set doing? Hopefully mine will be here soon! They got my old pair on Tuesday according to tracking.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12,392 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

They addressed this on their update, apparently there is no correlation between serial numbers and batch problems. How are your new set doing? Hopefully mine will be here soon! They got my old pair on Tuesday according to tracking.

Still it would be nice to know.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #12,393 of 18,459
Serial number for my defective unit: 5312199. But as their blog update stated the failed units aren't correlated to the S/N. I'm glad to hear they have a good customer service policy and look forward to getting my set fixed/replaced. However, I'm still a bit irritated that a nearly $1000 set of headphones has issues in under two months when someone's ran over my Brainwavz M2 with a car and they still work fine lol.

Edit - Purchased my set on 4/29/11.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #12,394 of 18,459
I read the same message on their site.  How could a problem limited to a given batch of material not somehow correlate with serial number/production date? Certainly, though it may not be linear, it must fall into a limited range of serial numbers and or date of production during the time that batch was used.  I doubt they take the material and use some of it and then tuck it away to use a few months later!?  That's a rather confusing statement on their part, don't you think?

Quote:
Quote:

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #12,395 of 18,459

Quote:
I read the same message on their site.  How could a problem limited to a given batch of material not somehow correlate with serial number/production date? Certainly, though it may not be linear, it must fall into a limited range of serial numbers and or date of production during the time that batch was used.  I doubt they take the material and use some of it and then tuck it away to use a few months later!?  That's a rather confusing statement on their part, don't you think?

Whatever the meaning of the serial system it was confusing for me.  Also if the problem is limited to a given batch a problematic material a recall of headphones from that batch would actually be customer service to be applauded rather than wait for failures to occur.   

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #12,396 of 18,459

Quote:
Whatever the meaning of the serial system it was confusing for me.  Also if the problem is limited to a given batch a problematic material a recall of headphones from that batch would actually be customer service to be applauded rather than wait for failures to occur.   

Since we do not know what their production methodology is, there is no way to judge this.  They may have multiple parallel lines, the drivers may not be serialized, etc.  We just don't know. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #12,397 of 18,459

Quote:
Since we do not know what their production methodology is, there is no way to judge this.  They may have multiple parallel lines, the drivers may not be serialized, etc.  We just don't know. 

This is true hopefully they know, and if they do they should do a recall on the headphones with the problematic materials rather than wait for them to fail.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #12,398 of 18,459
How could a problem limited to a given batch of material not somehow correlate with serial number/production date? Certainly, though it may not be linear, it must fall into a limited range of serial numbers and or date of production during the time that batch was used.  I doubt they take the material and use some of it and then tuck it away to use a few months later!?

What I read indicated that the part of the headphone with the serial number and the part of the headphone that is failing aren't produced at the same facility or at the same time. Ergo, there's no necessary correlation between the part with the number and the part that might fail. Obviously I can't speak to how Audeze sources and assembles their parts, but it seems reasonable that they wouldn't have any particular need to exhaust one batch of supplies before moving to another. Multiple assemblers or areas might each be given their own batch to work with, or batches might be sent to them from their respective areas of manufacture in separate shipments over time. In any scenario like that, you could have multiple batches of parts in play at any given time which would preclude any real correlation between manufacture date and serial number.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #12,399 of 18,459

Quote:

Jax,

I had the same thought; seems illogical.  I've had great customer service from Alex at Audeze.  I have no reason not to trust their explanation but I am curious, just the same.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #12,400 of 18,459
I have some LCD-2s but no high end ams or dacs to run them, I listen to lossless files from my Mac book pro with a Fiio E7. When using my iPod I use a Just Audio uHA-120 amp, these combinations, although at the cheaper (money wise) end of the spectrum (especially the Fiio) give me a great sound and probably even greater pleasure. When I can afford a more exotic amp/dac combination I will probably take the plunge, hopefully with suitable auditioning beforehand, it is something that I am looking forward too, in the meantime, I don't feel short changed in any way, quite the opposite in fact, I'm highly delighted.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #12,401 of 18,459
Quote:

They claim to do driver matching. This will mean that they test each driver, log its results, and shelve it until a mate appears which matches with sufficiently close tolerances. So regardless of the number of production lines, the drivers will not be deployed in the order they arrived.

So the serial number of the assembled headphone is not indicative of which batches its drivers come from, and each driver in a single headphone is as likely as not to have been manufactured in different batches.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #12,402 of 18,459

Quote:
They claim to do driver matching. This will mean that they test each driver, log its results, and shelve it until a mate appears which matches with sufficiently close tolerances. So regardless of the number of production lines, the drivers will not be deployed in the order they arrived.

So the serial number of the assembled headphone is not indicative of which batches its drivers come from, and each driver in a single headphone is as likely as not to have been manufactured in different batches.

This makes sense.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #12,403 of 18,459
This is true hopefully they know, and if they do they should do a recall on the headphones with the problematic materials rather than wait for them to fail.

I've had my LCD-2 since last September and have had absolutely ZERO issues. I got the replacement blocks for mine, but I haven't swapped them out with mine as the originals are still pristine. :D

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #12,404 of 18,459
Call me a LCD-2 fan 
biggrin.gif

Arrived today.  Pads are extremely comfortable, more so than I imagined based on the pictures.  I listen primarily to jazz and I think the LCD-2 will be a permanent fixture in my set-up.  However, haven't decided if I will give up my HE-4s.  I gotta say the LCD-2 and HE-4 complement each very well.  I was a little worried about ortho overlap.  The HE-4 have a soundstage, transparency, and top-end that I really enjoy.  The LCD-2 present a fuller sound possibly due to bass impact and are very intimate in presentation, almost like they are semi-open.  Somebody in an early post had it right when comparing the HE-6 and LCD-2, in that how the music was recorded (live, large audience vs small studio performance) may factor into which set of cans you go to grab.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back