Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #12,106 of 18,459

Quote:
Looks like I got one of the bad batch unfortunately. Came home from work and my right driver was dead. Worked just fine last night. Emailed Alex and he told me he would ship out a new pair and include a return shipping label. Although unfortunate, I'm glad to see that others had similar issues and it wasn't that I somehow broke them myself. Been babying them quite a bit. Had them for exactly a week and they saw about 2-3 hours a night of use in that time.

Serial number of the defective unit
5312290 (Ordered 5/12/11, arrived 5/18/11)

I so misread this at first
tongue.gif

May 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #12,108 of 18,459

Quote:
Does the HE-6 have anything over the T1 or LCD-2?

I prefer the HE-6 (and T1) to the LCD-2. Between the HE-6 and T1, I have a slight preference for the HE-6, but I think that they're so close that I wouldn't bother getting the HE-6 if you have the T1. You'd be better off using that money for something else such as a Stax setup.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #12,109 of 18,459
Here is a picture of my official headband stretcher/burn in expert doing his job enjoying my new lcd2. He is stuffed with excitement at the opportunity.

May 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #12,110 of 18,459

Quote:
Looks like I got one of the bad batch unfortunately. Came home from work and my right driver was dead. Worked just fine last night. Emailed Alex and he told me he would ship out a new pair and include a return shipping label. Although unfortunate, I'm glad to see that others had similar issues and it wasn't that I somehow broke them myself. Been babying them quite a bit. Had them for exactly a week and they saw about 2-3 hours a night of use in that time.

I've had my pair for one week now.  I burned them in for about 8 hours a night each night.  One thing I haven't done yet is disconnect the cables and connected them again.   I'm curious Zinterax how often have you disconnected your cable and then connected them again? I'm wondering if the drivers are bad or if it's related to connecting/disconnecting the cable.

My serial number is  5312331.  41 units higher than yours yet we got our pairs on the same day.

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #12,111 of 18,459

Quote:

3rd case since mine broke down too after around 20hours. Seems like were in the same batch since mine was purchased 05/17/2011. I wonder whats wrong?

May 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #12,113 of 18,459

Mine are in the middle of that, 5312307.  Ordered on 5/19 from TTVJ - received 5/20.  When I spoke to Todd, he said that they had just come in from Audeze a few days earlier.   So far no issues, and they've been burning in several hours a day.  I have not tried disconnecting/reconnecting the cable since the initial attachment.

-Mike

Quote:
I've had my pair for one week now.  I burned them in for about 8 hours a night each night.  One thing I haven't done yet is disconnect the cables and connected them again.   I'm curious Zinterax how often have you disconnected your cable and then connected them again? I'm wondering if the drivers are bad or if it's related to connecting/disconnecting the cable.

My serial number is  5312331.  41 units higher than yours yet we got our pairs on the same day.

May 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #12,114 of 18,459

Quote:

I prefer the HE-6 (and T1) to the LCD-2. Between the HE-6 and T1, I have a slight preference for the HE-6, but I think that they're so close that I wouldn't bother getting the HE-6 if you have the T1. You'd be better off using that money for something else such as a Stax setup.

Yea, I thought they would be very close. How come you prefer the T1 to the LCD-2s?

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #12,115 of 18,459

Quote:
Yea, I thought they would be very close. How come you prefer the T1 to the LCD-2s?

I listen mostly to classical music, and I find that the LCD-2 aren't a good fit for classical (or for acoustic music in general). The T1 and HE-6 work quite well for classical, although the best in my experience are the Stax SR-007. I'm looking forward to hearing the new SR-009 which might be even better.

May 25, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #12,116 of 18,459

Quote:
I listen mostly to classical music, and I find that the LCD-2 aren't a good fit for classical (or for acoustic music in general). The T1 and HE-6 work quite well for classical, although the best in my experience are the Stax SR-007. I'm looking forward to hearing the new SR-009 which might be even better.

You've probably tried HD800s, right? Though I haven't heard electrostatics, I found they were the absolute best cans for Classical I've ever heard, edging out the T1's by a modest bit.

May 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12,117 of 18,459
With over a week of listening in, I'm feeling like the HE-5LE has a airier more open soundstage than the LCD-2. I guess that's the price for the LCD's tonality. It's getting harder to decide which I like better. I might have to give the HE-500 a try too.

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #12,118 of 18,459

Hmm, according to my ears the LCD-2 seems to reproduce acoustic and orchestral music quite accurately. Maybe I'm missing out though since I've never owned any of the other top-tier cans.

Cheers!

May 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #12,120 of 18,459

Quote:

You've probably tried HD800s, right? Though I haven't heard electrostatics, I found they were the absolute best cans for Classical I've ever heard, edging out the T1's by a modest bit.

Yes - I own a pair of HD800. They have a larger soundstage than the T1 and HE-6, but other than that I actually prefer the T1 and the HE-6 even on classical because they provide somewhat fuller sound with more weight and better bass.

One thing I don't like about the HD800 is their slight tendency toward sibilance with female vocals, but I do like them overall. It's just that the SR-007 does better everything that the HD800 does (other than soundstage).

When I feel like listening to something different, I listen to the HE-6. In all honesty, I don't listen much anymore to the HD800 and the T1 - not because they are not good (they are very good), but because they are redundant in my collection.

Also, I don't listen much to the LCD-2 because, as I mentioned, I find that they dull the sound of acoustic instruments a little too much. I tend to raise the volume too much with them in an effort to get back the lost detail that I know should be there, and then I'm deafened by the loud parts of the music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back