Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #12,091 of 18,459
Is the new one on the left or the right? I'm assuming the left but please correct me if I'm in the wrong. 

Yes, the new one is on the left.

May 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #12,092 of 18,459
Just bought a pair off Head-Fi, can't wait to see how they compare to my T1s
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #12,093 of 18,459

Quote:
Frequency graphs only detail the intensity that the headphones produce at each frequency, not the detail, the quality or the nuance.  Although the LCD-2s likely have much less bass than, let's say, a pair of Beats, there is a world of difference in the texture and quality.

Agreed - the FR graph provides only limited information. For example, the differences in sound between the HE-6 and the LCD-2 are much more significant than anything that you could tell by looking at their rather similar FR graphs.

May 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #12,095 of 18,459
The T1 definitely is closer in sound signature to the HE-6 than it is to the LCD-2. I think the T1 is an outstanding headphone, but it's not as transparent as either of those planars.

May 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #12,096 of 18,459

Quote:
The T1 definitely is closer in sound signature to the HE-6 than it is to the LCD-2. I think the T1 is an outstanding headphone, but it's not as transparent as either of those planars.

The T1 are under-appreciated - not sure why. They are very good. I did some comparisons with the HE-6, and I found that they sound very similar other than a difference in soundstage.

May 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #12,097 of 18,459
I agree that the T1 are under appreciated. I think they are terrific - they are my favorite current-production dynamic-driver headphone.

May 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #12,098 of 18,459

Quote:

The T1 are under-appreciated - not sure why. They are very good. I did some comparisons with the HE-6, and I found that they sound very similar other than a difference in soundstage.

Quote:
I agree that the T1 are under appreciated. I think they are terrific - they are my favorite current-production dynamic-driver headphone.

Agreed. I absolutely adore them, and all I have to power them is an E9/E7 and they haven't even burned in. More so than the HD800+Headroom Desktop/Schiit Lyr I had. But I do listen to Metal so that's no surprise.

Which one has the bigger soundstage, the T1s or HE-6?

May 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #12,100 of 18,459
If you note the angle of the driver to one's ear remains essentially the same, between old and new cushion.  The fact that the seam line is more rounded on the original gives the illusion of lower angle.  Very close the same in reality.  In an extreme near-field and enclosed environment, I suspect there's not a significant sonic difference.  That's what I observe with my two pair, old and new..

I bought a back up pair of pads from Audeze for my LCD-2s a few months back (the newer version). My LCD-2s have the earpads from September 2010. The newer ones do look thicker, but on closer inspection, they are actually about the same. The stitching is what makes the newer ones appear quite a bit thicker, when in actuality side by side, the difference is quite small. With my 2 pairs at least.

May 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #12,103 of 18,459

Quote:
Does the HE-6 have anything over the T1 or LCD-2?

That would really depend on what you prefer as a characteristic.  Personally I find the HE-6 a brighter phone than the LCD-2 which to me isn't a good thing but for others they will love this.  The HE-6 and K1K port of the WA-5 is one of the best combos I have heard.  The LCD-2 with the Leben, WA-22, and Apex P/V are some of the best combos I have had the pleasure of listening to.  My personal preference is to the LCD-2 as I feel like its a more neutral presentation especially with the Leben or P/V.  The LCD-2 with the WA-22 is a pretty lush and inviting combination to listen to, definitely something I could listen to all day.

May 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #12,104 of 18,459
Does the HE-6 have anything over the T1 or LCD-2?

In terms of HE-6 vs. T1, I think they are both fantastic headphones, but I slightly find the HE-6s more transparent to the recording. The bass/mids are flatter and more realistic, with smoother treble. Again, not by much, but enough for me to prefer the HE-6s.

May 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #12,105 of 18,459
Looks like I got one of the bad batch unfortunately. Came home from work and my right driver was dead. Worked just fine last night. Emailed Alex and he told me he would ship out a new pair and include a return shipping label. Although unfortunate, I'm glad to see that others had similar issues and it wasn't that I somehow broke them myself. Been babying them quite a bit. Had them for exactly a week and they saw about 2-3 hours a night of use in that time.

Serial number of the defective unit
5312290 (Ordered 5/12/11, arrived 5/18/11)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back