Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #11,731 of 18,459
May 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #11,732 of 18,459
Because posts get forgotten very quickly here I'm going to risk protocol and re-post some of my previous question in the hope of more specific answers:

Does the clamping ever really relax (as the 650 does after a few weeks)? If so, how long?

Has anyone tried bending the headband to relax the grip. If so, where is the best place to do it and what are the chances of causing damage? 

Can the frame be replaced? Has anyone enquired about this? I know the frame can be easily released from the cups, so I'd assume a replacement part is available.

Have there been any more reports of splitting wood? Any more dead channels?

Has anyone heard any more news about new headband padding, or a new cover? 

May 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #11,735 of 18,459

Quote:
Because posts get forgotten very quickly here I'm going to risk protocol and re-post some of my previous question in the hope of more specific answers:

Does the clamping ever really relax (as the 650 does after a few weeks)? If so, how long?

Has anyone tried bending the headband to relax the grip. If so, where is the best place to do it and what are the chances of causing damage? 

Can the frame be replaced? Has anyone enquired about this? I know the frame can be easily released from the cups, so I'd assume a replacement part is available.

On the dead channels, yeah this happened to mine after 20hrs of usage a few days ago. Sent it back the other day.

May 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #11,737 of 18,459
Re headband clamp: I stretched them out on a stack of books just wider than my head over a week or so. The clamp definitely lessened, but not to my full satisfaction (I have a wide head!).

I'm sure there are more radical measures, but I wouldn't want to risk breaking the phones.

On the other hand, my Head-fi buddy's LCD2 is comfortable as all get out. No clamp issues at all.

May 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #11,738 of 18,459
You need to use a better headband stretcher.  You might have misread the suggestion - it should have been "boobs" not "books":

Quote:
Re headband clamp: I stretched them out on a stack of books just wider than my head over a week or so. The clamp definitely lessened, but not to my full satisfaction (I have a wide head!).

I'm sure there are more radical measures, but I wouldn't want to risk breaking the phones.

On the other hand, my Head-fi buddy's LCD2 is comfortable as all get out. No clamp issues at all.

May 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #11,739 of 18,459
LOL

May 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #11,741 of 18,459

Quote:

I'll take a whack at these.
* WRT clamping, I've had two sets of the LCD-2's.  The first one really put a vise-grip on my head, so I very carefully bent the metal headband.  After about 3 months they even got a little loose.  The latest ones have a different type of grip, with thicker and more angled pads.  I found the later ones much less objectionable, and within about 5-6 weeks they've loosened up to be quite comfortable. FWIW, I do not have a big head (7-1/4" hat size).
* A number of people have reported stretching or bending them successfully, at least in the first few months they were released.  Haven't seen much posting about it lately.  Keeping them clamped on a dummy head or on a set of books or CD's will also compress the earpads, which might not be such a good thing.
* The frame can't really be replaced.  The drivers are closely matched and need to be replaced as a pair (so I hear).  So if you get a failure it is a R&R to the factory.  Looking at the disassembly videos, I don't think these things really have user-servicable parts!
* When the wood on my first pair split, I searched for other people who had the same problem.  Not very many cases have been reported.  Audeze responded quickly and gave me a brand new pair.  I still think this is a fairly rare occurrance, but given the nature of the coarse grain in this wood, and the narrowness of the shank where the mini-XLR's are mounted, AND the leverage that the plugs can apply in everyday use, I think the design could be improved.  At the least, it would be possible to reinforce the outer circumference with a metal ferrule.  Since Audeze has been very responsive to other concerns and has moved quickly to address them, I have to believe that it just isn't that big a problem or they would have done something about it by now.  The good news, I think, is that if you are going to have a problem, it is most likely to occur in the first few months of ownership, when any wood weaknesses are likely to show up in use.  But it is a natural material, so some risk will always remain.  who knows... maybe termites?
* I feel that the headband padding is nearly perfect.  I suppose if one has greasy hair or something there might be some issues, but I've used this exact type of foam to pad out my whitewater kayak, and it is extremely durable in high wear environments.  I certainly would not want any more weight added via a leather/sheepskin cover, as some have advocated.  If the concern is just aesthetics, get over it.  Just listen & enjoy!

Hope this helps! 

May 19, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #11,742 of 18,459
There was Prague headphone meet four days ago. People did not seems to much love LCD2 even out of the world class Emm Labs CD/DAC with Leben CS300 which is considered here as one of the top amp for LCD2. People seems prefered HD800 on this setup. I listened only LCD2 because there was a lot of people, so no time for wasting time. I think LCD2 have a big potencial to be great but definitely hard to find right amp for them, it is really difficult. I think good was AMB M3 + q11 with them. Also good was diy tube amp, highend diy BB Dac with Dispre 2 Jfet and of course with CS300. But honestly I was not blown away with LCD2 as I expected. Meeting is something different than calm home sure. You can judge something only if you have it at home for longer time. So take it with big grace.

May 19, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #11,744 of 18,459

Quote:
Just reporting that this was the case with my pair too. The brace had slipped out during shipping and, without realising it, I tried putting them on for the first time and couldn't understand why the brace was not clearing the earcup. I'm not sure if it was during this incident, or during shipping, but the upshot is that there is now a scratch on the wood. It's not very bad - hopefully something that would not affect resale value too much. Still, one likes to have a perfect pair.

I wonder if there is a way of ensuring this does not happen in future cases.

This happened to mine as well (just arrived today). Has anyone had success repairing this?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back