Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #11,701 of 18,459
Its possible that the speeding up of the production process sacrificed the quality control on these babies. 
frown.gif

May 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #11,702 of 18,459
I'm headed to the Dallas area for a wedding on memorial weekend. Might keep an eye out if I make it to some coffee shops.
wink.gif

Quote:
Mike 

I am suffering from the same problem as well. The stores that do carry hi-fi gear are selling extremely expensive gear and they are not really into headphone amplifiers either. But you are not the only one in the DFW area with nice headphones and a good cup of coffee :) I no longer have the LCD-2 which makes me an inferior citizen I know but I am quite fond of Hifiman sound signature and planning to supplement my HE-5 with HE-500 in the near future. 

As for the coffee shops, there are some quite good ones. Try Pearl Cup on Henderson ave, It's a Grind in Deep Ellum, and Crooked Tree at McKinney ave. Also the ones that I haven't been to but get good reviews are Murray Street Coffee Shop and Mokah Cafe Bar. 

May 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #11,706 of 18,459

Quote:
Mine has the left channel dead after 20 hours usage. I had sent back and hopefully I get refunds for my shipping expenses since I wasn't really able to enjoy my cans. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Wow this is like the third driver problem in the last few weeks. I wonder what going on.

Not really sure what pages are they are in but I'll take this one.

May 17, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #11,707 of 18,459

Quote:

Dallas doesn't have much of a coffee-drinking culture, either - almost nothing but Starbucks here, and only two places I know of that roast their own beans.  Am I the only guy in the DFW area with nice headphones and a good cup of coffee?

Thanks,

Mike

As a longtime Seattle resident, may I be the first to apologize for your Starbucks. In some places in our wet city you can find three or four within a few blocks.  Glad to hear you have other offerings per the recent response.  I guess we have Starbucks to thank for that awakening and the fact that there are other stores at all that offer something other than drip.  The Pacific Northwest has some of the best of the best and if it's beans you need, you might be able to order some Cafe Vita from Vivace if you make your drinks with milk.  Down in Portland, home of 32Ohm and quite a few of our members, Stumptown Coffee is quite good for beans.  Hopefully you'll be able to find something more local, but I know Vivace ships and his stuff is like brown crack and they roast every day.  There's a Coffee-Fi thread if you do a search you should be able to find it.  Maybe you can post a query there as well.  

Mandatory LCD-2 connection?  I love to have my morning latte while listening to my LCD-2's in my office.  I wake earlier than my wife so this is a case where I am very thankful to have excellent headphones. 

May 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #11,708 of 18,459

If you read the other posts in this thread you may also come to the realization that defects are quite rare. I know how much it sucks to have to deal with customer service and returning products but Audeze seems to be one of the better companies to deal with in that regard.

May 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #11,709 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

If you read the other posts in this thread you may also come to the realization that defects are quite rare. I know how much it sucks to have to deal with customer service and returning products but Audeze seems to be one of the better companies to deal with in that regard.

Yeah I really hope they get it done soon. Its hard to be without those 'phones.

May 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #11,711 of 18,459

Quote:
Yeah I really hope they get it done soon. Its hard to be without those 'phones.

I feel your pain, and trepidation. My exchange pair will be arriving tomorrow and I'll be knocking on wood.  Not the wood on the LCD's mind you.  The exchange was quick and easy although the separation was painful, which is of course understandable.  One bit of advice for those with a spouse.  Offer up your LCD box as a jewelry box at some point.  This gesture will really pay off when considering a much higher priced amp then you had originally planned on. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #11,713 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Wow this is like the third driver problem in the last few weeks. I wonder what going on.

It would be interesting to see if we can look back and see what was being used to drive the units that have failed...?

An Audio-GD in my case. Used for around 20hours and then left driver goes dead. I never had such problems with other headphones being paired to it before.

May 18, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #11,714 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Hey kwkarth,
That's the quandary - I'm huge on buying value - bang for the buck - so the Lyr has been an obvious choice, but I don't want to buy it and be disappointed.  
I've only heard the LCD-2 with my Meier Stepdance, but even when increasing the power supply voltage from 9-Volts to the maximum permissible 15-Volts, I can readily hear a significant improvement in dynamics and control that comes with the corresponding increase in Peak Watts (or milliwatts?).  So, I'm sure that a jump from something less than a Watt to the kind of power that the Lyr can deliver would be enjoyable, but....  I'm so addicted to the resolution, neutralness, and transparency of the Stepdance that I'm afraid I might not welcome any loss that the Lyr might impose in these areas.  
Basically, I love the overall sound of the Stepdance so much, I just want a more powerful Stepdance.  Tell me why I shouldn't be worried about the Lyr in this regard - I really value your opinion.
Lastly, what source upgrade possibilities were you considering when you suggested I could get the Lyr and a new source for $1000.00?
Thanks,
Mike

Quote:
One that came to my mind was the CEntrance DAC Mini.  Another possibility that's working very well for me is a MusicHall 25.2 DAC (used) and the Lyr.

Given CEntrance Dacmini's flexible power requirements (DC 9V to DC 19V), the Power pack used for the Stepdance can also be used for the Dacmini.
wink.gif

I can't tell you why you shouldn't be worried.  Some people just like to worry about things.  Try one of the amps/DACs recommended and see what you think for yourself.

May 18, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #11,715 of 18,459

Quote:
On relaxation of the grip, I think you can loosen the swivel screwat the bottom of the iron pole a bit. make sure it is not too loose though otherwise you won't get a tight seal and the sound quality may diminish.

What?  Not a good thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back