Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #11,191 of 18,459

Quote:
I guess I don't agree, I think work well with acoustic music, and I really don't feel like they have subdued highs as at all.  IMO, they are the most natural headphone I have heard.

What other headphones have you heard?

When I listen to acoustic music on the LCD-2, I feel like some of the complex sound of the instruments is missing or subdued. It's like listening to a simplified version of the instruments where some of the finer nuances are missing. Listening to the same tracks with the HE-6, SR-007 or HD800 brings the full range of instrument sound detail back.

This problem is very significant for me since I listen mostly to acoustic music. The comfort-related problems just add insult to injury...

I've been considering selling them, but may keep them because they do sound good on some types of music, particularly electronica or anything that sounds too harsh on brighter headphones.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #11,192 of 18,459
I have all the phones I own listed in my profile.  The HE-6s are actually on their way, so I guess I can compare those.  I have also heard Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT 990.  I have heard the Sennheiser HD-800 but only very briefly.  Too each his own.  I guess I'm pretty sensitive to the bright phones.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #11,193 of 18,459

When I listen to acoustic music on the LCD-2, I feel like some of the complex sound of the instruments is missing or subdued. It's like listening to a simplified version of the instruments where some of the finer nuances are missing. Listening to the same tracks with the HE-6, SR-007 or HD800 brings the full range of instrument sound detail back.

This problem is very significant for me since I listen mostly to acoustic music. The comfort-related problems just add insult to injury...

I've been considering selling them, but may keep them because they do sound good on some types of music, particularly electronica or anything that sounds too harsh on brighter headphones.

I guess I share Wedge's ears as acoustic music sounds so lovely to me with the LCD-2s. No, I haven't heard any of the other top tier phones but from all the opinions on the web for the LCD-2s, my amp seems to be one of the most synergistic with them.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #11,194 of 18,459
I also think the LCD-2 are outstanding with acoustic music. And I own all the best non-Stat headphones. Not that this means people should agree with me, but I certainly know that for ME, the LCD-2 are better at acoustic music than anything other than the R10.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #11,195 of 18,459

You should try out the ED10 then, sounds to me that its color would suit your taste.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #11,196 of 18,459

Quote:
I have all the phones I own listed in my profile.  The HE-6s are actually on their way, so I guess I can compare those.  I have also heard Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT 990.  I have heard the Sennheiser HD-800 but only very briefly.  Too each his own.  I guess I'm pretty sensitive to the bright phones.

The HE-6 are better overall than the LCD-2 in my opinion (but you need a powerful amp like a Beta 22 to drive them well).

I'm not a huge fan of the HD800, but I like them better than the LCD-2 for acoustic music (they are also much more comfortable than the LCD-2.)

By the way, not all bright headphones are good for acoustic instruments, obviously. The timbre/tone has to be right too. For example, the SR-507 is bright, but doesn't sound right on acoustic instruments in my opinion. For example, the violin sounds pretty bad. On the other hand, the SR-007, which is darker, actually sounds great on acoustic instruments.

I think the HE-6 has some (but not all) of the good aspects of the LCD-2 while offering better highs and detail. Unfortunately, the HE-6 is also uncomfortable to wear, but somewhat more comfortable than the LCD-2.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #11,197 of 18,459

Quote:

There's something appealing and different about their sound, but I can't get over the subdued highs and the loss of detail. I tend to listen to them too loud in an attempt to get the detail back.

I find that they don't work well for classical or other acoustic music with rich detail.

I'm looking forward to the LCD-3...

If they sound to you like they're missing detail with subdued highs, then I would encourage you to take a fresh look at the rest of your system.  It's possible you voiced your old system to synergize with an overly bright previous headphone.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #11,198 of 18,459

Quote:
If they sound to you like they're missing detail with subdued highs, then I would encourage you to take a fresh look at the rest of your system.  It's possible you voiced your old system to synergize with an overly bright previous headphone.

The source is Benchmark DAC1 HDR which is very detailed. The amps I tried are Beta 22, Gilmore Lite, AT-HA5000, DAC1, and Grace m903. The LCD-2 didn't sound good to me on classical music on any of these amps. It wasn't horrible, just not as good as the HE-6, HD800 and SR-007. As I said, the detail of the sound of the acoustic instruments just isn't fully there - I feel like I'm missing part of the music.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #11,199 of 18,459

Quote:
The source is Benchmark DAC1 HDR which is very detailed. The amps I tried are Beta 22, Gilmore Lite, AT-HA5000, DAC1, and Grace m903. The LCD-2 didn't sound good to me on classical music on any of these amps. It wasn't horrible, just not as good as the HE-6, HD800 and SR-007. As I said, the detail of the sound of the acoustic instruments just isn't fully there - I feel like I'm missing part of the music.

It's interesting how differently we hear.  I am now convinced you're hearing what you're hearing, and given that, seems like the HD800 or the HE-4, 5, or 6 is a much better fit for your HRTF.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #11,200 of 18,459
I think that the HD800 may have some superiority over the LCD-2 for listening to a full orchestra playing in a large concert hall, but I was listening to a Bach violin concerto this morning with the LCD-2 and I don't think that the HD800 could match the timbre of the Audeze, at least with that particular instrument. If anybody wants to give it a try I am referring to Lara St. John playing Bach Works for Violin Solo.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #11,202 of 18,459
I also think the LCD-2 are outstanding with acoustic music. And I own all the best non-Stat headphones. Not that this means people should agree with me, but I certainly know that for ME, the LCD-2 are better at acoustic music than anything other than the R10.

Iagree! I have had the pleasure of hearing the top Stax headphones, orpheus, HD800 and D7000's. For me the LCD beats them all in terms of accurate and emotional accuracy of acoustic instruments. The Orpheus was the nearest I feel but still, especially violin, I have never heard acoustic music reproduced in such a way that the LCD's do!

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #11,203 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Iagree! I have had the pleasure of hearing the top Stax headphones, orpheus, HD800 and D7000's. For me the LCD beats them all in terms of accurate and emotional accuracy of acoustic instruments. The Orpheus was the nearest I feel but still, especially violin, I have never heard acoustic music reproduced in such a way that the LCD's do!

What was upstream from the LCD-2? 

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11,204 of 18,459
What was upstream from the LCD-2? 

iPod/Cypher labs Algorthym solo and Meier Corda Stepdance with an external energizer battery pack which gives me 15v power supply but of course that is doubled due to the balanced ground of the Stepdance.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #11,205 of 18,459
The ED10 has way more details than LCD2 especially with good source, just that its frequency response is not to everyone's liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back