Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #11,086 of 18,459

Quote:
So evidently this phenomenon is a weakness of the K701 in particular.

Man my Ed8 drivers are literally about to be replaced, I hope Craig is able to do a better job with them!

X2, great post and follow up. Add the HE-6 and K1000 and you have my exact long-term collection (will be selling HD540, HD600, AD2K and re-acquiring the HD800, unless an HD850 gets announced while I am procrastinating lol. Sometimes I think I could sell everything else though, as I could easily live with my high-powered "budget" rig and my HE-6/k1000. But I would definitely miss the LCD-2/WA22 the most. I digress...) Thanks again for the lesson!

I wouldn't call it a "weakness" of the K701 as much as it's simply a characteristic of it's design.  30 Hz square waves do not exist in any acoustic music, so so the 701's ability to reproduce real music isn't quite as bad as it looks.  The square wave is sort of like looking at something through a microscope, allowing us to see subtleties that otherwise would not me so apparent.,

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #11,087 of 18,459

Quote:
Low frequency square wave plots can be indicators of many different things.  Their implications are many and varied.  S-Logic has nothing to do with any of this.

I just mentioned s-logic because it is supposed to work when the drivers are positioned in a particular way (and I've read multiple times that ultrasones are very sensitive to positioning), so that implies that the headphones are designed to sound optimally when positioned like that. The square wave measurements are quite sensitive to position (as pretty much any other measurement) from Tyll's youtube videos, so that design choice could have affected the second ear measurement if it didn't manage that sweet spot in the second ear (or it could just be a difference in seal as you mentioned previously). Although even then, the square wave isn't that spectacular for the cost of the Ed10, particularly compared to the competition.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #11,088 of 18,459

Quote:
I just mentioned s-logic because it is supposed to work when the drivers are positioned in a particular way (and I've read multiple times that ultrasones are very sensitive to positioning), so that implies that the headphones are designed to sound optimally when positioned like that. The square wave measurements are quite sensitive to position (as pretty much any other measurement) from Tyll's youtube videos, so that design choice could have affected the second ear measurement if it didn't manage that sweet spot in the second ear (or it could just be a difference in seal as you mentioned previously). Although even then, the square wave isn't that spectacular for the cost of the Ed10, particularly compared to the competition.

At these low frequencies, positioning is completely not position sensitive, and S-Logic has no effect at low frequencies anyway.  This observed square wave response character only has to do with the quality of the seal between ear and headphone driver.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #11,089 of 18,459

Quote:
At these low frequencies, positioning is completely not position sensitive, and S-Logic has no effect at low frequencies anyway.  This observed square wave response character only has to do with the quality of the seal between ear and headphone driver.

Yup, you are right, I just reread some thing and I got a couple things mixed up and ended up with the wrong conclusion.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #11,090 of 18,459

Quote:
I think what we're seeing in the graph is an imbalance in the seal between ear and driver, left vs. right more than driver imbalance.  Other plots would be more revealing of L/R channel imbalance due to driver differences.  Regardless, yes, one side of the ED10s has greater bass impact than the other.  Pretty embarrassing for what they cost.

The Edition 10 are, overall, a disappointment, to be sure. The LCD-2 are a far, far superior sounding headphone.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #11,091 of 18,459
I agree.  If I could turn back time I wouldn't have bought them and got a new DAC instead, or more tubes!

Quote:
The Edition 10 are, overall, a disappointment, to be sure. The LCD-2 are a far, far superior sounding headphone.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #11,092 of 18,459
I thought your Edition 10 sounded good wedge but the emotion i got from listening to them was something similar to a hyper little dog.  Everything was very snappy/quick sounding and wasn't very rich or smooth.  It was bright but not as bad as my HFI-780 I had for a little while.  

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #11,093 of 18,459
I have not heard the ED10 but must be honest that all other ultrasones have left me feeling the same way. Not knocking the sound, we all hear things differently so there is no right or wrong,just the LCD's seem to hit my sonic hotspot better than anything else.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #11,094 of 18,459
This reviewer really likes the Edition 10 (last ¶), maybe the trick is to reverse the driver and power tubes like he apparently did:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo.htm

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #11,095 of 18,459
No thanks.  I'll stick to my LCD-2 with my Woos tubed properly.

Quote:
This reviewer really likes the Edition 10 (last ¶), maybe the trick is to reverse the driver and power tubes like he apparently did:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo.htm

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #11,096 of 18,459
Audeze LCD2 + Dacmini SPL Readings

Signal Chain:  MacBook Pro Toslink --> McIntosh MX-136 pre/pro Toslink --> Dacmini --> Audeze LCD2

I don't have a dummy head (except for the one between my ears). So, I used my DIY headphone SPL adaptor described in post 11056, above, with my Radio Shack digital SPL meter set to C weighting and slow response.  This time, I used a 1k Hz pink tone with all Dacmini volume knob settings from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock (clockwise positions as close to the same positions as possible for all 3 readings).  There are likely slight measurement errors since I set the Dacmini's volume knob each time by eye-baling it.

I downloaded the UE iPhone SPL meter app and sandwiched the iPhone microphone between both LCD2 ear cups.  I insured there was a tight seal all the way around; same for the Radio Shack SPL meter/DIY adaptor.

Unscientific readings as follows:

iPhone/ UE SPL           Radio Shack SPL          Radio Shack SPL
                         app (dB)                  Left ear cup (dB)           Right ear cup (dB)

7 o'clock                 41                                57                                  58
8 o'clock                 57                                62                                  62
9 o'clock                 68                                66                                  67
10 o'clock               73                                74                                  74
11 o'clock               76                                77                                  77
12 o'clock               79                                79                                  80  (Safe Zone?)
1 o'clock                 85                                87                                  88
2 o'clock                 90                                93                                  93
3 o'clock                 94                                97                                  97
4 o'clock                 98                               101                                101
5 o'clock                 99                               104                                103

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #11,097 of 18,459
someone suggested i should post my question in this thread (i posted in the diy section)- i cant seem to understand this wiring diagram, is there a jumper between 1-4 and 2-3?
i also came across this:

thanks, greg.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #11,098 of 18,459
Hey Guy's, It's not time for Me yet, but if any one is looking to get a pr of LCD-2's blessingx is selling His pr for $925.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #11,099 of 18,459

Quote:
Audeze LCD2 + Dacmini SPL Readings

Signal Chain:  MacBook Pro Toslink --> McIntosh MX-136 pre/pro Toslink --> Dacmini --> Audeze LCD2

I don't have a dummy head (except for the one between my ears). So, I used my DIY headphone SPL adaptor described in post 11095, above, with my Radio Shack digital SPL meter set to C weighting and slow response.  This time, I used a 1k Hz pink tone with all Dacmini volume knob settings from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock (clockwise positions as close to the same positions as possible for all 3 readings).  There are likely slight measurement errors since I set the Dacmini's volume knob each time by eye-baling it.

I downloaded the UE iPhone SPL meter app and sandwiched the iPhone microphone between both LCD2 ear cups.  I insured there was a tight seal all the way around; same for the Radio Shack SPL meter/DIY adaptor.

Unscientific readings as follows:

iPhone/ UE SPL           Radio Shack SPL          Radio Shack SPL
                         app (dB)                  Left ear cup (dB)           Right ear cup (dB)

7 o'clock                 41                                57                                  58
8 o'clock                 57                                62                                  62
9 o'clock                 68                                66                                  67
10 o'clock               73                                74                                  74
11 o'clock               76                                77                                  77
12 o'clock               79                                79                                  80  (Safe Zone?)
1 o'clock                 85                                87                                  88
2 o'clock                 90                                93                                  93
3 o'clock                 94                                97                                  97
4 o'clock                 98                               101                                101
5 o'clock                 99                               104                                103

Nice work man!  Did you calibrate your iPhone or did you leave it with default calibrations?

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #11,100 of 18,459

Quote:
someone suggested i should post my question in this thread (i posted in the diy section)- i cant seem to understand this wiring diagram, is there a jumper between 1-4 and 2-3?
i also came across this:

thanks, greg.

Greg,
The mini XLRs inside the ear cups are jumpered, already so you don't have to worry about jumpering the mini 4 pin connectors on the cables.  But, otherwise, yes, your interpretation is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back