Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #10,696 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys much appreciated.  Unfortunately no one wears ear protection at my workplace.  Its a macho thing, but I'd rather join the objectivists gang in the sound science forum than suffer the good natured macho attacks from my colleagues.  I guess I'm a little shallow like that, but I just wanna be like everyone else.  I can still hear speech and sounds of danger, and that is the most important thing.  Perhaps its only a temporary shock and the ear drums need a little time to adjust, if it doesn't happen it doesn't matter because I can still count myself as amongst the fortunate few in life that was able to afford and experience such a hi-end audio journey.  Like I always say, its good to be alive!

beerchug.gif

SP, I am sorry to hear about your situation, but I want to implore you to reconsider your stance.  Who gives a crap what your co-workers think?  I would tell them to screw straight off.  Your hearing is VITAL to enjoyment of your life.  And it will NOT recover.  you need to treasure what you have left.  WEAR PROTECTION.  And if people make fun of you, tell them that you will be happy to learn sign language so you can communicate with them in a few years when they are totally deaf, and you can still hear.  Tell them you will even try to relay their pick-up lines to girls at bars for them, but they shouldn't expect great results
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously man...forget the macho.  Protect your hearing.  I wear earplugs to concerts, and I don't care if everyone in the whole place thinks I am a loser.  I enjoy the show, and I can still hear well at age 44, and I expect to hear well at 84.

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #10,698 of 18,459

Quote:

SP, I am sorry to hear about your situation, but I want to implore you to reconsider your stance.  Who gives a crap what your co-workers think?  I would tell them to screw straight off.  Your hearing is VITAL to enjoyment of your life.  And it will NOT recover.  you need to treasure what you have left.  WEAR PROTECTION.  And if people make fun of you, tell them that you will be happy to learn sign language so you can communicate with them in a few years when they are totally deaf, and you can still hear.  Tell them you will even try to relay their pick-up lines to girls at bars for them, but they shouldn't expect great results
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously man...forget the macho.  Protect your hearing.  I wear earplugs to concerts, and I don't care if everyone in the whole place thinks I am a loser.  I enjoy the show, and I can still hear well at age 44, and I expect to hear well at 84.

You wrote exactly what I was going to! At this stage, caught early there is a chance for your hearing, leave it though and I am going to be blunt, you might as well sell all your equipment, by a Nano and listen with the stock buds!

Health is way more important that peer pressure, heck, everything is more important than peer pressure! Trust me. Never do anything in life to please anyone else or to "fit in". Ultimately those type of people you are trying to fit in with will leave you cold on the side of the road if the going got tough, shallow macho people do that and you would risk your health for that!!!

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #10,700 of 18,459
x2 last few posts

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #10,701 of 18,459
SP Wild have you got ear ringing afterwards? Otherwise higher level of stress going back to a work also affect how you hear things. Getting a deep depression while going back to hard work is perfectly normal :wink:

At the moment I am working full time taking down metal racks. A lot of hammering on bare metal and drilling you can imagine the sound levels. Always uses protection but we have some guys who bought racks from my workplace now from Poland and none of them use ear protection. They don´t even seem to care on how much noise they make. Everyone do all to avoid the part of the building they work in :wink:. Nobody really think they are macho or cool or anything just nuts.

Hearing can recover some. Not all tinnitus is permanent but well I suppose seldom recover fully.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #10,702 of 18,459
My mother is 90 and her hearing scares me. I can quietly say something to Amy in another room and not only does she know I am saying something, she knows what I said. 

For some strange reason, the HD650's help if I have any ringing because I amy have listened to the JH13's or something else too loud, which I try not to. Best of luck with recovery and SP, please protect your hearing. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #10,703 of 18,459
Personally all of my hearings problems didn't last more than two days.

The culprit was:
- High sound pressure (live, recording, late listening parties, heavy listening with fostex t50rp or etys because they can go very loud without any distortion, ...)
- Disease directly or indirectly related to the ear (earache, cold, sinusitis, ..)
- Very close sound like the well known kiss in the ear :wink:

I guess, if you are in a very noisy environment on a daily basis permanent issue should arrive.
There is a psychological factor as well so I don't think alarmism will help. Caution in the future will help indeed.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #10,705 of 18,459

Anytime you experience ringing following exposure to high sound pressure (loud music, loud machinery, etc), regardless of how long the ringing lasts, the damage is irreversible.  It may seem like the ringing goes away, but it's cumulative over time.  

In your 20's and 30's we all feel invincible, but it catches up with you for sure.

Quote:
Personally all of my hearings problems didn't last more than two days.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #10,706 of 18,459
A loud workplace is an Occupation Health and Safety issue.

You really should use hearing protection where and when you can.

Ignorance, macho issues and apathy are no excuse.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #10,709 of 18,459
I take reusable earplugs when i go out on the town now, been in a few situations where my ears have rang for 3-4 days straight. Not cool! I was looking at the ER20 from Etymotic, but went for a more discreet pair from EAR.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #10,710 of 18,459
Dunno, but after two pages of hearing loss advice I think he got the message loud and clear. Perhaps you guys can start a new thread on this subject if there aren't already two or three already in the archives.   Now what was this thread about?  Oh yeah, how long did it take you to get your LCD-2's........or was it what you did while you waited for them. I'm surprised no one has plotted a graph of order date vs. delivery time.  For anyone up to the task, all that information is right here in these 714 pages of posts, that is if you are willing to trudge through all the boring stuff about what people think of them and how they think they compare to other cans, which amps work well and which don't, as well as aftermarket cables.  If this thread were an audio component, the sound to noise ratio would be a dead giveaway that it was widely available at Radio Shack and the 9-volt transistor battery is probably not included.

Rant off.  Steam vented.  Carry on.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Hey who let in that big girl's blouse with the earplugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back