Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 17, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #10,216 of 18,459

Quote:
sorry, i'm not up to speed here. is there any consensus about recabling these cans? how to other aftermarket cables such as alo or whiplash stack up here? does cardas make one for these - after all, they're from the same neck of the woods.

I don't know about 'consensus' but in my experience, the Norse 4-conductor is a nice improvement in space and imaging over the stock cable.  Tonally, I don't find much difference, but everything moved more out-of-head with the Norse.  I have the 8-conductor arriving today so I can bring it up to NY this weekend.  Then you can decide.  It will be coming in balanced (4-pin) with adapters for 1/4" and dual 3-pin, so you can try it on whatever amp you have.

As to the other cables, I have read (but not sampled) that the silver cables are brighter on the LCD's (and in general).  For those who find the LCD's dark, this might be a solution.  I am not one of those folks. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #10,217 of 18,459
Silver not done right can sound a bit bright. Silver done correctly, and I have used it for many years and long before it was really popular, is not bright. I find good silver done right to sound very neutral, meaning neither bright or dull just an excellent conveyer of the current, if the gauge is correct and the design is well thought out, just like with copper. 

I look forward to the comparison of the 4 and 8 conductor Norse cable. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #10,218 of 18,459

Quote:
Silver not done right can sound a bit bright. Silver done correctly, and I have used it for many years and long before it was really popular, is not bright. I find good silver done right to sound very neutral, meaning neither bright or dull just an excellent conveyer of the current, if the gauge is correct and the design is well thought out, just like with copper. 

I look forward to the comparison of the 4 and 8 conductor Norse cable. 

So who does silver 'right'?  So far, I've herd comments from people whose opinions I trust say that the ALO and the Silver Dragon both tilt the tonal balance to the north. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #10,219 of 18,459

Quote:
So who does silver 'right'?  So far, I've herd comments from people whose opinions I trust say that the ALO and the Silver Dragon both tilt the tonal balance to the north. 

It could just as well be that the stock LCD-2 cable is slightly 'dark' and not the phones themselves.

The TWAG v2 cable is silver and does make the LCD's brighter but maybe its just neutral like the SD and ALO cables and just removes the darkness of the stock cable. If similar results are obtained from silver and copper ( I do believe the ALO is copper) then maybe the stock cable is to blame.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #10,220 of 18,459

Quote:
It could just as well be that the stock LCD-2 cable is slightly 'dark' and not the phones themselves.

The TWAG v2 cable is silver and does make the LCD's brighter but maybe its just neutral like the SD and ALO cables and just removes the darkness of the stock cable.

If the stock cable is 'dark', then so is the Norse Audio.  I'm finding that a little less likely tho.  Either way, I am very happy with the sound I have now, but am curious to hear the silvers as well.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #10,221 of 18,459

Quote:

The TWAG v2 cable is silver and does make the LCD's brighter but maybe its just neutral like the SD and ALO cables and just removes the darkness of the stock cable. If similar results are obtained from silver and copper ( I do believe the ALO is copper) then maybe the stock cable is to blame.

I highly doubt that the entire headphone's sound signature is governed by the cable, let's be serious here.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #10,222 of 18,459

Quote:

I highly doubt that the entire headphone's sound signature is governed by the cable, let's be serious here.

Who said anything about 'entire sound signature' and a number of people, including myself, can confirm that the aftermarket cable's they are using do make a difference to the tonal balance even if it is relatively minor.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #10,223 of 18,459
I sent an email and put in a phone call to ALO last week to try and get pricing from them on a cable for the LCD-2's. So far zero response 
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #10,224 of 18,459

Quote:

In all seriousness, you try the Silver Dragon vs. the Stock Cable, there is an immediate noticeable difference.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #10,225 of 18,459

Quote:
I sent an email and put in a phone call to ALO last week to try and get pricing from them on a cable for the LCD-2's. So far zero response 
frown.gif

That is VERY unusual.  They are usually very responsive.  You should try again.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #10,226 of 18,459
Come now guys, there's a thread for both third part cables for the LCD-2's, as well as one in regards to whether or not cables really do make a difference (or at least I think there's one). To the best of my knowledge, there is no solid proof of either opinion being neither correct or wrong, so don't bring up the argument here, again, for the X's time.

What's an "immediate difference" to one person is "I hear the exact same thing as before; it just a nicer looking cable" to another, why can't we just accept this?

And before someone points out that I'm siding with one over the other, I've yet to form an opinion as I've yet to try different cables. I do believe people need to know both sides of the coin before deciding to buy a new cable, but can't we do that without an argument breaking out?

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #10,227 of 18,459
Would the LCD-2 be nice enough with a "cheap" audio-gd compass and a lot better than my k601 ? I might pull the trigger and then save for high-end source and amp.

I read somewhere it is better to have a LCD-2 with a ipod than high-end gear and mid-fi headphones.

Well I'm running my LCD2 with Sony D25S and iBasso toucan or Bellari HA540. Sure thrashed my HD600. Sound wonderful! Of course it'll sound better with better amplification and source but I'm still enjoying it with these amps. Can't wait to receive my Hifiman HM801 and listen some 24bit 96khz files :)

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #10,228 of 18,459

Quote:
OK, but that's meaningless at 50ohms if there isn't enough current available.  You're probably getting significantly lower output at 50ohms as I don't think the USB power is going to provide much current in demand.

You're certainly right, but you have to also take in to account they have a very sophisticated power supply in the DacPort that creates a bipolar +/-9V supply for the class A amp.  It's really quite remarkable what they do with the limited energy available on a USB bus.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #10,229 of 18,459

Quote:
frown.gif

Try this page...
http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_59

I got my LCD2 from ALO with RW8-S Silver/Copper headphone cable, terminated with a 4 pin XLR.  The sound is deceptively 
smooth. With my T1's (black dragon) you know when it's loud, because the top end will bite into your eardrums. With the LCD's 
I'm conscious that I will damage my hearing, because it's so un-fatiguing.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #10,230 of 18,459
Thanks for the answers, in fact i'm septic about the relatively BIG differences and i hope i'm wrong and be truly amazed by its superior sound quality, i can also buy one NFB-10 but i prefer to wait for top of the line gear.

Anyway its kinda cheap for world-class sound and i can always sell it near original price if i don't like it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back