Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #9,932 of 18,459

Quote:
  Comfort wise I rank my headphones like this:

1) HD800
2) LCD2
3) D7000

The padding on the top and the ear-pads are better on the LCD2 than on the D7000.  My ears sweat with the D7000 but not with the LCD2.  

I have the same 3 sets of headphones, and my ranking would be exactly the same.  However, the LCD2s' weak spot to me is the headband.  I really wish someone would come up with a nice, padded leather wrap-around headband cover; this would complete the package.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #9,933 of 18,459

Quote:
Excellent to hear. I am not sure how the box will do going from almost 100 percent humidity to the 10 to 15 percent in Tucson, Arizona. The Pelican case for me, would be best though. I would like to get one for the HE-6 and the LCD-2. 

I would have picked the pelican case as well, like someone said earlier, it's like a having a full on armor for the LCD 2.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #9,935 of 18,459
i found myself cranking up the volume on bass/lowbass heavy passage
biggrin.gif
, i wonder if there is insidious danger for the ears doing so, because for the highs obviously you feel pain if the volume is too high but it's not the same with the bottom frequency. Just wanna make sure i'm not damaging my hearing without noticing...

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #9,936 of 18,459
Apparently your hearing is damaged by high Sound Intensity. From all the math there I'm not right away sure if lower frequencies result in lower sound intensity. If you are interested, try to make sense of all the formulas.

Quote:
i found myself cranking up the volume on bass/lowbass heavy passage
biggrin.gif
, i wonder if there is insidious danger for the ears doing so, because for the highs obviously you feel pain if the volume is too high but it's not the same with the bottom frequency. Just wanna make sure i'm not damaging my hearing without noticing...

Ah, actually found my answer, stolen from http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-iii/waves/sound-intensity-factors.php

Quote:

Frequency

Intensity of sound depends on its frequency. The human ear is more sensitive to the middle part of the audible range. Thus, a sound of a frequency in the middle of the audible range will appear to be louder than the sound of a frequency near the extremities of the range, though the two sounds have the same intensity.

For example, consider sounds of frequencies 100Hz and 3000Hz, having the same intensity. The sound of 3000Hz will appear to be louder than the other.

So yes, you are increasing the sound intensity by cranking up the volume on low frequencies, and thus, could potentially be harming your hearing.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #9,937 of 18,459

Quote:
Apparently your hearing is damaged by high Sound Intensity. From all the math there I'm not right away sure if lower frequencies result in lower sound intensity. If you are interested, try to make sense of all the formulas.

Ah, actually found my answer, stolen from http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-iii/waves/sound-intensity-factors.php

So yes, you are increasing the sound intensity by cranking up the volume on low frequencies, and thus, could potentially be harming your hearing.

Not necessarily.  The standard dBA sound curves used for loudness monitoring will require the bass to be boosted a great deal be as loud as the mid frequencies when the overall sound pressure level is low.  At high sound levels the curves flatten out meaning that perceived loudness and actual intensity are better matched. So increasing bass for low level listening is probably not harmful.  But if you are doing this to do this for high level listening then you are more likely to run into dangerous listening levels.

Also bear in mind that exposure duration is a big factor.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/publ/pubear.html#facts

16 hours   for    80 dBA sound
           8 hours   for    85 dBA sound
           4 hours   for    90 dBA sound
           2 hours   for    95 dBA sound
           1 hour    for   100 dBA sound
           30 min    for   105 dBA sound
           15 min    for   110 dBA sound
            7.5 min  for   115 dBA sound
            0 min    for   above 115 dBA sound (there should
                                         be no exposure at
                                         this level!) 

The problem is measuring the sound level of your phones. Just about no-one has an SPL rig with an accurate jig to attach a headphone to the microphone.

I would say if you listen for hours on end, be very careful about the levels.  If you have any pain in the ears you are  at risk of hearing loss.  Even if you have numbness or a sense of things not sounding right after listening periods you probably need lower levels.   If you have ringing in the ears you may already have a problem.

I have been using phones for over 30 years and went through a period  of excessive loudness causing some pain. I realized that I needed to stop this and when I had my ears checked with a clinical audiometer some years later they were still within normal range.  These days I listen a few hours a day, much of it fairly quietly so I can doze. 

Classical music has a highly variable loudness characteristic.  Generally it only stays loud for brief periods so you are less likely to get long exposures at high volumes. 

Rock/pop  is often full-bore loud all the time and made worse by "Loudness War" mastering.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #9,938 of 18,459

LCD-
LCD-2s with the APL gear.

Phones sound nice. 
Tried them with 
Metallica - Metallica track 6&12 and Kanye West 808 & Heartbreak track 5 to see if the bass is coherent which it seems to be.
Jeff Beck - Who Else Track 5. it does highs nice as well.
Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers Track 1. They do rock well.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #9,939 of 18,459
I'm sorry Jamoto8 if you've said before (read almost all hd 6 lcd 2 threat) but with one do you prefer most? lcd-2 or he-6?

Quote:
Excellent to hear. I am not sure how the box will do going from almost 100 percent humidity to the 10 to 15 percent in Tucson, Arizona. The Pelican case for me, would be best though. I would like to get one for the HE-6 and the LCD-2. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #9,940 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm sorry Jamoto8 if you've said before (read almost all hd 6 lcd 2 threat) but with one do you prefer most? lcd-2 or he-6?

Before the Twag V2 I slightly preferred some of the characteristics of the HE-6. The two phones, to my ear, are very different, like the same music but played in two different venues. I find the HE-6 a little dryer sounding and a little more analytical but not in a bad way. The Twag V2 enhanced the sound on the LCD-2 in such a way that there is more information in All areas. A more textured bass, improved transparency, and it seems to open the higher frequencies but I don't think that is really changed, just the way they are delivered. So at this point the LCD-2 but I want to try the V2 on the HE-6, which I look forward to. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #9,945 of 18,459
The number I found that looks good for measurement is 3I-0907-6B-C but the cases are more expensive than a Pelican of about the same size. You can just paste that number in google and it will get hits. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back