Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #9,616 of 18,459

Quote:
??  Not sure what you're trying to say here, but... Absolutely, one can regulate or vary, or adjust the amount of current, depending upon what one wants to accomplish.  

i was always taught that current is the resultant of voltage and impedance. one doesnt "push" current down a wire, you provide a electrical potential(voltage) and then current flows, and the amount then depends on the load. though i could certainly be wrong, were here to learn 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #9,617 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
??  Not sure what you're trying to say here, but... Absolutely, one can regulate or vary, or adjust the amount of current, depending upon what one wants to accomplish.  

i was always taught that current is the resultant of voltage and impedance. one doesnt "push" current down a wire, you provide a electrical potential(voltage) and then current flows, and the amount then depends on the load. though i could certainly be wrong, were here to learn 
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, now I understand where you're coming from.  To an extent you're right, but it's somewhat of a chicken and egg paradox.  All the parameters are interdependent.  If you have no voltage, no current will flow, if you have no current, no voltage will be present.  Work done, (power) is truly the product of voltage and current.  In terms of static potential, you can have a static charge, (voltage) but until current flows, no work can be accomplished.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #9,618 of 18,459
I believe you're right Soup, amplifiers like this are designed to amplify voltage, and as a result current will flow. If no source of potential energy is present (voltage) no electric field will be generated supplying energy to the free electrons in the conductor causing a flow of electrons and thus propagation of "holes" in the conductor (current flow). This is what causes current flow in an electric circuit.

Of course current can be throttled that's what the impedance of the headphone (in this case) is doing. This impedance is in turn normally changed by the frequency of the input signal because of mechanical resonances and reactive draw from the voice coil / magnet assembly. This isn't an issue with the LCD-2 design and I suspect planar designs in general.

Hope my ramblings make some sort of sense...

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #9,619 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

OK, now I understand where you're coming from.  To an extent you're right, but it's somewhat of a chicken and egg paradox.  All the parameters are interdependent.  If you have no voltage, no current will flow, if you have no current, no voltage will be present.  Work done, (power) is truly the product of voltage and current.  In terms of static potential, you can have a static charge, (voltage) but until current flows, no work can be accomplished.

oh i know, i guess im just being overly pedantic lol but i guess what im getting at is that we can directly change voltage, whereas we can only change current by altering the voltage or resistance. like for instance you cant take a simple, like say a battery wire end to end with a resistor, and then raise the resistance but "lock" the current, therefor forcing the voltage to be raised. the current would just drop instead. the current is the resultant of the other factors, not one of the deciding factors itself.

but all of this is kind of off topic for the LCD-2 thread 
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #9,620 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

oh i know, i guess im just being overly pedantic lol but i guess what im getting at is that we can directly change voltage, whereas we can only change current by altering the voltage or resistance. like for instance you cant take a simple, like say a battery wire end to end with a resistor, and then raise the resistance but "lock" the current, therefor forcing the voltage to be raised. the current would just drop instead. the current is the resultant of the other factors, not one of the deciding factors itself.
but all of this is kind of off topic for the LCD-2 thread 
beerchug.gif

Your understanding is wrong anyway.  If you want to pursue this via PM I would be happy to do so.  Just look at the math.  It's very straight forward.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #9,621 of 18,459
There are two types of amps, current source and voltage source.  Many audio amps are voltage source, and there are many current source designs in production, too, particularly MOSFET and FET output devices.  It's a function of devices + topology.  The bottom line is ALL voltages will create a specific current into a given load, but conversely a current source amp will output the same current into that same load, and thereby create the exact same voltage on the load, and both will output the same amount of power.  I'm simplifying this a bit, in that a designer might choose different voltage/current capabilities for a specific application, but usually that's to optimize power potential into a specific type of load where you know you'll either NEVER need a certain voltage no matter how much current, so you optimize for current.  

Bottom line this has ZIP to do with how much power a given device can put out, which is simply limited by the combination of voltage and current available to it for output, and that actually is pretty independent of whether or not the amp is a current or voltage source.

Anyone who wants to know more should just start a current vs. voltage source amplifiers discussion.  I'll be there, as I've designed both using discrete components...

beerchug.gif

Moving on, as that's OT, and if I didn't make a late-night/single-malt error requiring a correction, would only obfuscate further...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9,622 of 18,459
I am not sure what has happened to my LCD-2 over the past few days, maybe it is my amp, or iBasso DB-1 dac that I put Black Gate caps in about 2 weeks ago, but the sound has gotten even better. Great dynamic drive, speed and transparency. I am listening to a remastered Jethro Tull, among many different albums. Great stuff. 

Edit: I can't get over this. I don't know what happened. These headphones transcend what I thought I would hear. The soundstage has gotten much wider and deeper. I was fine the way it was but now I look right and left and hear things like a drummer on some rock back "there", well defined but over there. I hear reverb and echo I had not heard before and more distant audience sounds. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9,628 of 18,459

Quote:
I am not sure what has happened to my LCD-2 over the past few days, maybe it is my amp, or iBasso DB-1 dac that I put Black Gate caps in about 2 weeks ago, but the sound has gotten even better. Great dynamic drive, speed and transparency. I am listening to a remastered Jethro Tull, among many different albums. Great stuff. 

Edit: I can't get over this. I don't know what happened. These headphones transcend what I thought I would hear. The soundstage has gotten much wider and deeper. I was fine the way it was but now I look right and left and hear things like a drummer on some rock back "there", well defined but over there. I hear reverb and echo I had not heard before and more distant audience sounds. 

Those Blackgates take a good long time to sound their best.  Not sure what the actual physical/mechanical break-in mechanism is, but I've experienced it in a number of applications where I've used them.

My most amazing break-in experience was with a preamp where I modded all the caps to oil-impregnated teflon.  When I turned it on, and for a couple of days it sounded like absolute crap.  I'm there thinking OMG what have I done?  Left it playing FM radio for a few days and when I next listened, I couldn't believe it was the same preamp.  Highs were crystal clear and everything was sharp, but not nasty, spikey.  Nice improvement!

OTOH, depending on the application, it might not matter too much.  I put a pair of Obbligato oil caps in my Mapletree Audio Ear+ Super II headphone amp to replace the electrolytic Nichicon's used in the cathode follower output that directly drives the LCD-2's.  I expected to hear a significant improvement, but frankly it seems to have only sweetened up the amp a little bit, not that it needed any of that.  Whereas, the Blackgates in the power supply of the Mapletree amp made a very nice difference in its ability to deliver a solid bass line.  Drum solos have become a favorite for me on the LCD's with this amp.  I've been searching out various drum solos on my CD's ever since.  Just found some cool ones from Eddie from Ohio, and there's always Inagottadavida (sp)...

Sometimes I hate it that all this parts stuff matters.  I used to believe that the design was 99% of the sound, but increasingly I'm finding that parts can be 10-15% or more of the character of the audio device.  I simply HATE the fact that cables make a difference, and still don't believe that power cables really do if they are properly specced. 

So thanks!  It is useful to hear about positive experiences as more fodder for the mill.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #9,629 of 18,459

Quote:
Mrspeakers and Meltedspider:  When did you guys submit your preorders?

-Daniel

December 19, so they are running close to two months, assuming the traditional 3 or so day lag between payment and shipping.  Of course it took almost as long to get my $74 T50rp phones, so I guess it's just orthos these days.  And the Fostex's sound AWESOME with a tiny bit of tweaking, so I'm really jazzed to get the LCD-2.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9,630 of 18,459

Thanks, mine should be ready by the end of March then.

-Daniel

Quote:
December 19, so they are running close to two months, assuming the traditional 3 or so day lag between payment and shipping.  Of course it took almost as long to get my $74 T50rp phones, so I guess it's just orthos these days.  And the Fostex's sound AWESOME with a tiny bit of tweaking, so I'm really jazzed to get the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back