Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #9,526 of 18,459
Quote:
asr, doesn't it make you feel a little, well, tingly when you have the volume at 3 o'clock?  When I get past 12 o'clock my eye brows raise uncontrollably and the left side of my mouth starts to droop.

No, I don't really get physical reactions from turning up the volume knob anymore. I guess I've gotten used to it.
wink.gif

Lest the thread diverge off-topic any further I'll contribute this: I typically set my LCD-2 at 12 o'clock on the HeadAmp GS-X when set to High gain to achieve very loud volume levels, in unbalanced mode (also, my source outputs a standard 2V RMS). The Audio-Technica AD2000 achieves an approximately similar volume level when the amp is switched to Med gain and lowered by 3 steps.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9,528 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
asr, doesn't it make you feel a little, well, tingly when you have the volume at 3 o'clock?  When I get past 12 o'clock my eye brows raise uncontrollably and the left side of my mouth starts to droop.

No, I don't really get physical reactions from turning up the volume knob anymore. I guess I've gotten used to it.
wink.gif

Lest the thread diverge off-topic any further I'll contribute this: I typically set my LCD-2 at 12 o'clock on the HeadAmp GS-X when set to High gain to achieve very loud volume levels, in unbalanced mode (also, my source outputs a standard 2V RMS). The Audio-Technica AD2000 achieves an approximately similar volume level when the amp is switched to Med gain and lowered by 3 steps.

Slightly OT. Asr, do you plan to get the HE6 as a comparison to the LCD2? It will interesting to see what you thought of it. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #9,529 of 18,459
I listen everything good but I am a big lover of melodic metal, balads etc. simply music with emotion factor.
For example this songs is absolutely beautiful on LCD-2:

Dark Moor - Lovers
Delain - April Rain
Serenity - Journey's End
Stratovarius - Million Light Years Away

And of course many many other songs. I think Grado/Alessandro or Westone headphones is also something special for this type of music. But Audeze bring significantly more natural real/lively tones, imagines..
I love MS-Pro Ulti airiness it is really special and emotion in voices instruments. I just love these three companies, my favorites
wink_face.gif
 I would like to try PS1000 one day.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #9,532 of 18,459
So I got mine today, and I never experienced a pair of headphones on that level. I had the Sony CD3k, which was my favourite set of cans by a long shot, and which I consider to be quite high-fi (still regret selling those), but this is just incredible. I like reading things on head-fi rather than trying to contribute intelligently and then fail miserably at doing so, but I just want to share how much I think the LCD-2 deserve all of the praise they're getting.

They play really nice on the meier symphony with my meridian as a source. Not the highest end source, but it's lovely sounding, and potential upgrades have never crossed my mind.
I'm not going to use words that I read on this website and that I think might sort of apply to what I'm hearing. No, that's not for me. They just sound pretty darn amazing. "I feel like I'm there" when I'm listening to my Alice in Chains Unplugged, and I can't wait to try other live concerts. Love hearing the strings vibrate against the fretboard, love having a more "in your face" presentation, as opposed to the HD650 (which I've been using up to now), love how much they rock, and I loved the weird face I pulled the first time I listened to them.
This is the first time I actually felt the impact of the upgrade. Didn't even feel like this when I got the AKG701s, my very first hps.

Here's how I got them by the way. I put in my preorder the 23rd or 24th of January. Now, don't freak out, cause I cancelled it. Financial reasons.
2-3 days ago I saw that someone was selling them on the FS section of the forums, and I bought them. Financial problems

Definitely recommended!

God, I can't wait to try my Crescent album on them.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #9,533 of 18,459

Quote:
Any thoughts on the StageDAC + Concerto combo? I'm thinking about my upgrade path right now, and these are standing out to me.

Quote:
Both the Asgard and Concerto are appealing. The Asgard has a no frills design and boasts enough power for the LCD-2. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would expect paying the extra $500 for the Concerto, but if I am to believe that it is on the brighter side, then it might be a welcome complement to the LCD-2. However, I am not a fan of biasing my sound to suit a pair of headphones.

No judgement upon anyone who thinks otherwise, but to me, the amp is a utilitarian design. As is the cable. If it can produce the amount of current needed to drive me headphones at a reasonable level, be well built, and have little coloration, then I'm happy. I'm of a similar mindset with cables...well built and manageable (flexible, good connections) are key. I would consider the DAC utilitarion as well...though the crossfeed filter in the StageDAC does intrigue me...

I'm using the StageDAC and the Concerto with the LCD-2s, and I love the combination.  Lots of features and things to try out on the StageDAC.  I especially like the crossfeed for certain recordings, and have been experimenting with settings.  There is also the tonal balance switch, that boosts everything below 2K a little, or a little more.  This feature is supposed to be used in conjunction with the crossfeed, but I find it's useful when listening with my HD800s, as well.

With my LCD-2s, the Concerto sounds better in the high gain position, even though the volume is plenty at 9 o'clock; with low gain, I need it around noon, but it doesn't sound as full to me.  This amp has a slightly bright top end, which I like.

I had a Woo WA6SE which I sold to get the Meier combo; I do want to get another tube amp, though; something warmer and not as bright as the Concerto, which would be used more with my HD800s.  Possibly a WA2.  The StageDAC allows the hookup of two amps, as well.  

I have to give the Concerto/StageDAC setup a very high recommendation, and the price for both of them together which included shipping from Germany, was very reasonable.  

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #9,534 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm using the StageDAC and the Concerto with the LCD-2s, and I love the combination.  Lots of features and things to try out on the StageDAC.  I especially like the crossfeed for certain recordings, and have been experimenting with settings.  There is also the tonal balance switch, that boosts everything below 2K a little, or a little more.  This feature is supposed to be used in conjunction with the crossfeed, but I find it's useful when listening with my HD800s, as well.

With my LCD-2s, the Concerto sounds better in the high gain position, even though the volume is plenty at 9 o'clock; with low gain, I need it around noon, but it doesn't sound as full to me.  This amp has a slightly bright top end, which I like.

I had a Woo WA6SE which I sold to get the Meier combo; I do want to get another tube amp, though; something warmer and not as bright as the Concerto, which would be used more with my HD800s.  Possibly a WA2.  The StageDAC allows the hookup of two amps, as well.  

I have to give the Concerto/StageDAC setup a very high recommendation, and the price for both of them together which included shipping from Germany, was very reasonable.  

if you like it for only certain recordings, does that mean you have to hit another button per song if its not one you enjoy with crossfeed? i cant afford the stagedac/concerto combo but that would be one of my top choices if i could.  but hearing that its only good certain songs, i tmay not be worth it to me.
but yes, Jan is great and his products are top of the line.  he always responds to my emails even tho i  have yet to buy something from him. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #9,535 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with Frank on just how well the Concerto drives the LCD-2s. I never surpass 11 o'clock and the SQ I hear is outstanding with plenty of available headroom. So if you're stuck on going with SS, this is a great amp to recommend.

"How well" any amp drives any given set of headphones has nothing to do with position of the volume pot or how much headroom is available on it, and I would've thought someone with your level of experience would know the difference between volume headroom & gain vs output power. Just because an amp can push a headphone to loud volume levels and still have headroom left on the volume knob doesn't mean that it's driving the headphones effectively. Also, volume settings on an amp with any given headphone is largely determined by gain - the fact that you might never go past 11 o'clock on the Concerto with the LCD-2 merely means that the amp has a high gain and not much more. It doesn't mean that the Concerto is effectively driving the LCD-2 - well that might still be the case, but it has nothing to do with the position of the volume knob or how much headroom is left.

The perception that an amp is driving a set of headphones well if it can push it loud and early on the volume knob to boot is a common misperception and I wish there was less of this misinformation going around on Head-Fi.

Just one case in point from my own system: I have to turn my BHSE's volume pot to 3 o'clock with the Stax OII to generate loud volume levels on some CDs (but not all, like compressed rock or metal music). The fact that I have to turn it that high doesn't mean it has a lack of power for the OII - it has enough power for the OII. It's just that the amp's gain is low (mostly because my specific BHSE also has a Normal-bias jack).

Asr: Did you not read my entire post? I shall repeat:

"I agree with Frank on just how well the Concerto drives the LCD-2s. I never surpass 11 o'clock and the SQ I hear is outstanding"  

BTW, the highest gain on the Concerto is 7.

So not needing my volume dial at 4 o'clock is part of the audio picture if the volume is still pretty low, but the Sound Quality is the major point that you seemed to have missed in my post. So only needing the volume dial at 11 o'clock on an amp with a high gain of 7 is a nice thing to have WHEN the sound quality you're hearing is also top notch.  

I hope this clarifies things.
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #9,536 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

if you like it for only certain recordings, does that mean you have to hit another button per song if its not one you enjoy with crossfeed? i cant afford the stagedac/concerto combo but that would be one of my top choices if i could.  but hearing that its only good certain songs, i tmay not be worth it to me.
but yes, Jan is great and his products are top of the line.  he always responds to my emails even tho i  have yet to buy something from him. 

Not really per song, but I like the crossfeed for some older recordings; examples would be some of the Beatles' stuff in stereo, which often have hard panning of instruments or vocals to one side.  The crossfeed helps a lot with those.  (I do enjoy the early Beatles in mono, though-no crossfeed needed then.)

Other newer recordings with more complex mixes and a lot of detail sound better without the crossfeed to me, but I've only had the Meier stuff for a week or so now, and I'm still experimenting.  Both the StageDAC and the Concerto have the crossfeed circuit, but the one on the amp is just a single ON/OFF toggle switch; I leave that off and use the full featured one on the DAC instead.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #9,537 of 18,459
Thanks Frank.

The Concerto is a fabulous match for the LCD-2s IMO, good headroom and with great corresponding great SQ. I find the Concerto a neutral amp and really like that synergy paired with the LCD-2s.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #9,538 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with Frank on just how well the Concerto drives the LCD-2s. I never surpass 11 o'clock and the SQ I hear is outstanding with plenty of available headroom. So if you're stuck on going with SS, this is a great amp to recommend.

"How well" any amp drives any given set of headphones has nothing to do with position of the volume pot or how much headroom is available on it, and I would've thought someone with your level of experience would know the difference between volume headroom & gain vs output power. Just because an amp can push a headphone to loud volume levels and still have headroom left on the volume knob doesn't mean that it's driving the headphones effectively. Also, volume settings on an amp with any given headphone is largely determined by gain - the fact that you might never go past 11 o'clock on the Concerto with the LCD-2 merely means that the amp has a high gain and not much more. It doesn't mean that the Concerto is effectively driving the LCD-2 - well that might still be the case, but it has nothing to do with the position of the volume knob or how much headroom is left.

The perception that an amp is driving a set of headphones well if it can push it loud and early on the volume knob to boot is a common misperception and I wish there was less of this misinformation going around on Head-Fi.

Just one case in point from my own system: I have to turn my BHSE's volume pot to 3 o'clock with the Stax OII to generate loud volume levels on some CDs (but not all, like compressed rock or metal music). The fact that I have to turn it that high doesn't mean it has a lack of power for the OII - it has enough power for the OII. It's just that the amp's gain is low (mostly because my specific BHSE also has a Normal-bias jack).

Steve do you own the Concerto. Have you even heard it. It drives the LCD2 easily with power and headroom to spare. Read the many conclusion that other who own the combo come to and your post was really uncalled for questioning another owner who has  and still does own the product. He knows if it is driving them or not. The amp is well designed and better than any other solid state amp I have heard to that. But your attacking a person makes little sense and contributes nothing to this discussion. Your opinion really makes little sense to this discussion on the Concerto.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #9,539 of 18,459

Not really per song, but I like the crossfeed for some older recordings; examples would be some of the Beatles' stuff in stereo, which often have hard panning of instruments or vocals to one side.  The crossfeed helps a lot with those.  (I do enjoy the early Beatles in mono, though-no crossfeed needed then.)

Other newer recordings with more complex mixes and a lot of detail sound better without the crossfeed to me, but I've only had the Meier stuff for a week or so now, and I'm still experimenting.  Both the StageDAC and the Concerto have the crossfeed circuit, but the one on the amp is just a single ON/OFF toggle switch; I leave that off and use the full featured one on the DAC instead.

What does Dr. Meier recommend when one has both the StageDAC and Concerto in terms of which crossfeed to use (the amp or dac)?

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #9,540 of 18,459

The stagedac for sure. He's said himself that it is much more robust than the crossfeed on the amp. Plus it would probably be a problem to have them both on, perhaps, idk.

-Daniel

Quote:

What does Dr. Meier recommend when one has both the StageDAC and Concerto in terms of which crossfeed to use (the amp or dac)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back